Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2023, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Reputation: 9853

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
Can you define this for me please? Because I wasn't aware Poilievre and the Conservative Party were interested in renegotiating NAFTA, abolishing abortion or exiting NATO. Nor do they seem interested in censoring the press, invoking the Emergencies Act on peaceful protestors, freezing the bank accounts of Canadian citizens or wearing blackface like the arrogant racist we currently have sitting in the PM's office.

The reason that the Conservatives voted against mein fuhrer was because of the poison pill he attached to the Ukrainian Free Trade Agreement that would have forced the Ukrainian government to impose a useless carbon tax on their people at a time when they are at their most vulnerable. Everything else is just name calling and bitter cope from the Liberals.
Here you go. https://www.nationalobserver.com/202...ries-explained

https://thewalrus.ca/when-qanon-came-to-canada/

https://jacobin.com/2022/06/paranoid...economic-forum

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66930536

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/poil...ries-1.6517247

https://winnipegsun.com/opinion/colu...-call-them-out

I see vehicles every day with Canadian flags hanging out of them. I have a neighbour who posts pictures of perfectly ordinary contrails and thinks they are evidence of a plot to change the weather and/or other things I can't follow.

And of course everything is Trudeau’s fault, as you yourself have stated so I'll call that exhibit A.

I hear/see things all the time, whether on social media or in conversation from Canadians who are very confused as to what they heard/read applying to the US versus Canada. Some seem to think US Supreme Court rulings apply to Canada. There are posts blaming JT for Canada's abortion law from people who do not know that Canada has no abortion law.

So the name-calling seems to be from conservatives as your post shows. Do you think the world revolves around Canada? Do you not realise that countries are not only bound by agreements they sign with one country that are not also bound in turn by the country forming the agreement and all the existing agreements they have committed to such as Ukraine and the EU? The EU is far more important to Ukraine than Canada. https://www.icis.com/explore/individ...%AC80.00/tCO2e.

It has already been explained what the carbon tax means in terms of the Ukraine agreement. I don't see why they should dumb it down for Poilievre's followers.

And I didn't vote for JT and I'm not a fan of his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2023, 02:44 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Reputation: 1820
Well said, netwit. It’s not a good idea to enable and dogwhistle this insanity for votes. The Red Tories in the Maritimes, Toronto, etc are not going to like the direction the party is going in and could start to abandon ship. Fiscal responsibility, respect for authority and hierarchies, that’s what it is to be a conservative. All this dogwhistle garbage is just catering to the lowest type of politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2023, 09:18 AM
 
Location: In Little Ping's Maple Dictatorship
333 posts, read 153,016 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I got as far as this link claiming the WEF is a figment of my imagination and stopped. Then I decided to see what Wikipedia had to say about the source:

In a 2016 article, National Post columnist Terence Corcoran described a "newspaper war" between the Postmedia Network and the Toronto Star. He criticized Torstar's "series of personal and corporate attacks" against Postmedia, in particular CNO reporter Bruce Livesey's massive "5,000-word take down" of Postmedia. Livesey's article was published in both the CNO and in the Star. Corcoran said Livesey was "a master of the inappropriate juxtaposition of fact and conclusion" and called the CNO a "left-wing Vancouver online magazine".

Shocking.

As for the link's assertion that it is a conspiracy theory that the WEF is behind carbon taxes and the removal of personal property rights, here's a link to the WEF's own "8 Predictions for the World in 2030" courtesy of the Way Back Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220818...world-in-2030/

So much for your conspiracy claims.

Quote:
I see vehicles every day with Canadian flags hanging out of them.
Meaning you don't like patriotism....?

Quote:
I have a neighbour who posts pictures of perfectly ordinary contrails and thinks they are evidence of a plot to change the weather and/or other things I can't follow.
And....?

Quote:
And of course everything is Trudeau’s fault, as you yourself have stated so I'll call that exhibit A.
This is what I posted:

Quote:
Can you define this for me please? Because I wasn't aware Poilievre and the Conservative Party were interested in renegotiating NAFTA, abolishing abortion or exiting NATO. Nor do they seem interested in censoring the press, invoking the Emergencies Act on peaceful protestors, freezing the bank accounts of Canadian citizens or wearing blackface like the arrogant racist we currently have sitting in the PM's office.

The reason that the Conservatives voted against mein fuhrer was because of the poison pill he attached to the Ukrainian Free Trade Agreement that would have forced the Ukrainian government to impose a useless carbon tax on their people at a time when they are at their most vulnerable. Everything else is just name calling and bitter cope from the Liberals.
Please point out where exactly I stated "everything is Trudeau's fault" as you quoted as Exhibit A. Or are you actually trying to gaslight this forum into believing that Trudeau didn't implement Bill C-18, invoke the Emergencies Act on the Freedom Convoy, freeze the bank accounts of its supporters and wore blackface more times than he can remember?

Quote:
And I didn't vote for JT and I'm not a fan of his.
Based on the above, I very much doubt that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2023, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Canada
7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Reputation: 9853
@MickIlhenney- Do you understand that predictions are not facts? They are not even alternative facts. You actually want to base your argument on a bunch of predictions the Wikipedia wayback machine comes up with???

You are also the guy who responded to someone's post about something or the other the truckers did this year with that you didn't care what it was for, you'd send them money. There's no thinking like no thinking.

Then go over your post history of never coming up with a sensible argument but always referring to Trudeau by some derogatory name, and I'm right back to Exhibit A.

That's the type of Canada you want? Where our politics is only about name-calling and who believes the craziest conspiracy theories? Where a bunch of truckers can end up in Ottawa having deluded their followers into thinking they can overthrow a democratically elected government? That they are on the side of RIGHTEOUSNESS in attempting to overthrow a DEMOCRATICALLY elected government?!

Well. Shrug. I've never believed any form of government is necessarily the an eternal form, so you might yet get your wish for anarchy. I hope you enjoy it.

The Canadian forum doesn't usually fall along the lines of the Politics and Other Controversies forum. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2023, 04:28 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Reputation: 1820
The WEF is a good way to organize conferences for government leaders to make deals with big corporate donors out of the spotlight. The organization itself has zero leverage to influence government. Even the UN can’t achieve anything, for god’s sake. You ask these conspiracy nuts enough questions it ultimately always boils down to antisemitism, conspiracies about the Rothschilds, George Soros, etc. Same crap the far right has been pushing for the last 90+ years

If you want to blame someone for the carbon tax, blame Preston Manning, mentor of Stephen Harper and the rest of the Reform Party. Or Margaret Thatcher, who was advocating for one in the UK back in the 80s. If you prefer cap and trade, you’re agreeing with the original Liberal Party approach and abandoning the free market answer the carbon tax is supposed to be. If you’re a denier and want to do nothing about it, your opinion is worthless to me and anyone who believes in facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2023, 01:19 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Reputation: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The Canadian forum doesn't usually fall along the lines of the Politics and Other Controversies forum. Just sayin.
Very good point. Just as our Parliament has a variety of parties represented, so do we Canadian posters' points-of-view differ; and we posters here are well-aware that there is no black or white, zero or one, all-or-nothing dichotomy in Canadian discourse as there is in the United States with its two-party system. We've been able to discuss and debate our points of view politely here in the Canada forum, differing though our views may be, without resorting to name-calling, or other derogatory behaviour, as we see in that other forum on occasion.

To bring this back to the OP's assertion, I don't think that Americans have caused Canadians' lessened support for Ukraine in its current war with Russia. Rather, I think that it's the war itself. It seems to be WWI all over again: both sides dug in, neither side conceding an inch. A war of attrition, in other words, just like WWI. There's no new news, no matter the source; no victories nor defeats. Just attrition. Newscasts have lost interest, especially with what's going on in Israel/Gaza. Which also seems to be the same, day after day.

Yawn. Hey, there's a "Frasier" rerun on channel 42. Let's watch that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2023, 07:30 AM
 
Location: In Little Ping's Maple Dictatorship
333 posts, read 153,016 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Where our politics is only about name-calling and who believes the craziest conspiracy theories?
I'm sorry, which conspiracy theory are you talking about, exactly? The link you posted implied someone would have to be a tin-foil hat wearing loon to believe that the WEF was behind the "you'll own nothing and be happy" meme. When I then post direct evidence to the contrary (taken from the WEF's own website, I might add), you then downplay it as hyperbole. Now you are bringing conspiracies up again. So again, which conspiracies are you referring to, exactly?

As for name calling, we have had eight years of Trudeau continually labelling anyone who does not agree with him as either a racist, misogynist, Islamaphobe, "climate denier" and/or a homophobe. As such, it would seem he has set the tone for name calling in Canadian politics.

Quote:
Where a bunch of truckers can end up in Ottawa having deluded their followers into thinking they can overthrow a democratically elected government? That they are on the side of RIGHTEOUSNESS in attempting to overthrow a DEMOCRATICALLY elected government?!
It seems you are confusing the Freedom Convoy protest against COVID mandates with the January 6th Capitol Building insurrection south of the border. You don't actually think Canada is part of the United States, do you...???

Talk about conspiracy theories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2023, 05:02 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Reputation: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Very good point. Just as our Parliament has a variety of parties represented, so do we Canadian posters' points-of-view differ; and we posters here are well-aware that there is no black or white, zero or one, all-or-nothing dichotomy in Canadian discourse as there is in the United States with its two-party system. We've been able to discuss and debate our points of view politely here in the Canada forum, differing though our views may be, without resorting to name-calling, or other derogatory behaviour, as we see in that other forum on occasion.

To bring this back to the OP's assertion, I don't think that Americans have caused Canadians' lessened support for Ukraine in its current war with Russia. Rather, I think that it's the war itself. It seems to be WWI all over again: both sides dug in, neither side conceding an inch. A war of attrition, in other words, just like WWI. There's no new news, no matter the source; no victories nor defeats. Just attrition. Newscasts have lost interest, especially with what's going on in Israel/Gaza. Which also seems to be the same, day after day.

Yawn. Hey, there's a "Frasier" rerun on channel 42. Let's watch that.
In many regards WW1 was a military D measuring contest between Germany and Britain. I don’t think the Ukraine War compares. It’s defending Ukrainian sovereignty vs. Total subsmission to Russia. I’m not an expert, but as someone very interested in history as a hobby I can’t think of any conflict in the past 100 years where one side was so clearly in the wrong as Russia in their invasion of Ukraine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2023, 03:47 PM
 
100 posts, read 93,403 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
insurrection south of the border.
Ah, this must feel good. Insurrrrection - just rolls off the tongue. Just like Collussssion and Obstrrrrruction.

Last edited by grotte; 12-04-2023 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top