Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 07:14 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So there is a breed of Americans who are staunch nationalists, and not surprisingly, they can be arrogant, and closely connected to that arrogance is ignorance about other nations. You might hear that America as well as Americans are the best - at basically anything, the specifics don't matter to the claimant. This is associated with the Republican political party, and within the political class, loud claims of superiority, of supremacy are kind of a requirement - those who won't bluster in this way are rhetorically attacked and are unlikely to receive much support. It's not something I fully understand myself, to be honest. We are certainly not all this way though.
Most of the Canadians understand that, I think.

Although, one time Canadian posted that Americans all have the US flag on their houses, which is certainly not true where I live but likely is in some parts of the country, but what was funny was that where I was staying in Canada, everyone had the Maple Leaf flag on their houses!

Old 12-30-2023, 07:53 AM

12,385 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Although, one time Canadian posted that Americans all have the US flag on their houses, which is certainly not true where I live but likely is in some parts of the country, but what was funny was that where I was staying in Canada, everyone had the Maple Leaf flag on their houses!
LOL, well I suppose all nations have their nationalistic contingent. For my part, I think it's good to know your nation's history, and to be proud of its accomplishments, to be fond of country. However, if you won't acknowledge its present failings, and its historical mistakes though, that's just not honest and the nation will find it difficult to correct and to avoid repeating mistakes - if you cannot even acknowledge them. Moreover, if you somehow believe that you're just intrinsically better than people born on other soil - it's going to be insufferably arrogant in any social context, and again, it's just inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 09:48 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
One thing that makes Canada/the US great is that no matter where you were born, when you come to these countries and accept them as your home, you can become a Canadian or an American. Is Arnold Schwarzenegger a real American? Of course he is. Was Tommy Douglas, born in Scotland a true Canadian? Absolutely. There’s not many countries like that in the world, and it makes me proud to be from a place that accepts people no matter their race, religion or what country they were born in.
That’s why so many immigrants proudly fly our flags.

Old 12-30-2023, 12:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I think flags on houses, at least here in BC, tends to be fairly common on peoples vacation homes for some reason. You don't see it in the cities really.

Old 12-30-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
So there is a breed of Americans who are staunch nationalists, and not surprisingly, they can be arrogant, and closely connected to that arrogance is ignorance about other nations. You might hear that America as well as Americans are the best - at basically anything, the specifics don't matter to the claimant. This is associated with the Republican political party, and within the political class, loud claims of superiority, of supremacy are kind of a requirement - those who won't bluster in this way are rhetorically attacked and are unlikely to receive much support. It's not something I fully understand myself, to be honest. We are certainly not all this way though, in fact, this kind of excessive nationalism causes divisions within our own nation.
To a much smaller degree, that exists here in Canada as well, but it doesn't appear to be partisan, usually.

What I have witnessed over the years, ( this is a very general statement ) is regardless of whether an American is Republican or Democrat, there seems to be an unwillingness to look outside the US when trying to solve certain issues. Very few ask " how do they do it in...? "

There is a thread on CD " If you could change the voting laws/requirements ..."

I know it is just a mind exercise type of question, so the boundaries of solutions should be far and wide. Yet, not one poster has wondered, asked, or even commented on how other democracies do things. To be clear, they are not talking about dismantling the US system for a parliamentary one, or anything else, but things like voter registration, voter ID, time off for voting etc. Things that other places do differently, and may actually work of the US, but nothing.

Of course it depends on the group of people discussing a topic. Experts or people really into, say transit, tend to look beyond their backyard. The average person, not so much.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
LOL, well I suppose all nations have their nationalistic contingent. For my part, I think it's good to know your nation's history, and to be proud of its accomplishments, to be fond of country. However, if you won't acknowledge its present failings, and its historical mistakes though, that's just not honest and the nation will find it difficult to correct and to avoid repeating mistakes - if you cannot even acknowledge them. Moreover, if you somehow believe that you're just intrinsically better than people born on other soil - it's going to be insufferably arrogant in any social context, and again, it's just inaccurate.
Of course it is, but funny how people do adopt that attitude!

Old 12-30-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think flags on houses, at least here in BC, tends to be fairly common on peoples vacation homes for some reason. You don't see it in the cities really.
Yes, and I was in an area of vacation homes in the Ontario lake country! But back in suburban, NJ, you don't see a flag on every house. My Dad always put his out for Independence Day, Memorial Day, and Veteran's Day, though.

He was a disabled WWII Veteran, and it was important to him to recognize those days.

Old 12-30-2023, 02:13 PM

12,385 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
To a much smaller degree, that exists here in Canada as well, but it doesn't appear to be partisan, usually.

What I have witnessed over the years, ( this is a very general statement ) is regardless of whether an American is Republican or Democrat, there seems to be an unwillingness to look outside the US when trying to solve certain issues. Very few ask " how do they do it in...? "

There is a thread on CD " If you could change the voting laws/requirements ..."

I know it is just a mind exercise type of question, so the boundaries of solutions should be far and wide. Yet, not one poster has wondered, asked, or even commented on how other democracies do things. To be clear, they are not talking about dismantling the US system for a parliamentary one, or anything else, but things like voter registration, voter ID, time off for voting etc. Things that other places do differently, and may actually work of the US, but nothing.

Of course it depends on the group of people discussing a topic. Experts or people really into, say transit, tend to look beyond their backyard. The average person, not so much.
I am a scientist by profession, and we are expected by our employers to be aware and up to date with science advances around the world, not just in the US, and one can't help but notice that advances aren't confined to the US... so in my line of work, it's normal to learn from others in other nations, and you're expected to do it and do it quickly.

Among most lay people, there is again a general tendency by parties - Republicans generally insist that every other nation besides the US is a mess, and therefore, even if things are done a certain way in most advanced nations except the US, and the US has a problem in this area that policy makers are wrestling with, the typical Republican response to even considering a proposal to look for inspiration elsewhere and try to learn from others, will be a kind of an uproar, and the angry insistence that the other nations are no model for the great US to look towards, that following the practices of others will surely lead to our downfall; and there will likely be suspicions floated about this person being disloyal to the US and perhaps they are a Communist, etc...

It was at once amusing and depressing when John Kerry ran for President, that he was being accused of being aligned with France (not the US), and Republicans were saying "He even looks French!"... and stuff like that got traction with conservatives... while for me, I was thinking "You can't be serious!"

I think that people from other nations tend to think that Americans are all alike - but we're definitely not, and so I make the same assumption about other nations - that they are heterogenous populations with significant differences in viewpoints within.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:25 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times
It seems Americans(and Europeans too) frequently misunderstand Canadians. Sometimes in the middle of a sentence Canadians suddenly start talking about “a boat” or “a boot” which we interpret as watercraft or footwear while they actually intend to say about .

Old 01-06-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
It seems Americans(and Europeans too) frequently misunderstand Canadians. Sometimes in the middle of a sentence Canadians suddenly start talking about “a boat” or “a boot” which we interpret as watercraft or footwear while they actually intend to say about .
If you to ask a Canadian to say all three, you would hear the distinction between all three words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada