Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 02:51 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
It seems Americans(and Europeans too) frequently misunderstand Canadians. Sometimes in the middle of a sentence Canadians suddenly start talking about “a boat” or “a boot” which we interpret as watercraft or footwear while they actually intend to say about .
Nah. There is a difference. Hang out with the Canadians and you'll see.

Meanwhile, do you know that in America, "Mary, marry, and merry" are supposed to all sound different?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-10-2024 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 03:07 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,796,509 times
I’m just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don’t let me be misunderstood.

Old 01-06-2024, 03:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nah. There is a difference. Hang out with the Canadians and you'll see.

Meanwhile, do you know that in America, "Mary, marry, and merry" are supposed to all sound different?
Accents can be so interesting.

I remember some years ago watching a show about English, and one word that they had someone from somewhere in the south of the USA say, was " oil ". You couldn't tell if they were saying oil or all.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-10-2024 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: My typo

Old 01-06-2024, 04:54 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I remember some years ago watching a show about English, and one word that they had someone from somewhere in the south of the USA say, was " oil ". You couldn't tell if they were saying oil or all.
Or the Canadian in Texas who, much to his alarm, kept hearing about the "bob war." (barbed wire)

Old 01-06-2024, 09:17 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Everything I know about Canadians I learned from Kids in the Hall. Probably the best show from the 90s!
What about Degrassi Junior High? Though that didn't seem to be about Canadians per se, but about adolescence.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:23 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Or the Canadian in Texas who, much to his alarm, kept hearing about the "bob war." (barbed wire)
This is hilarious! This thread has been good for a few giggles. Though the Americans I know aren't any different than the Canadians the OP described, including himself. Americans say "sorry" a lot, too. Except for the ones who deliberately avoid it. Those people are best avoided themselves.

Old 01-06-2024, 10:06 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Yes! My mother-in-law was from Maine, and when visiting up there, another, older relative gave us directions and told us to turn after the fiahbahn. We could not for the life of us figure it out.

Fire barn. His word for a firehouse. I guess it was a barn when he grew up.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:11 AM

20,122 posts, read 9,036,439 times
Canadians? They're all like the McKenzie brothers eh?

Old 02-05-2024, 08:46 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
You’re right, I was just thinking most of the time the last year or two when I’ve seen Americans talk about Canada it seems to be pushing conspiracies about how we’re “Communist” under Trudeau and what not.
There’s also this pervasive attitude that every forum on here not specifically about Canada or whatever country is about the US by default, which is annoying when trying to discuss things from a Canadian’s perspective.

What percentage of the people on these forums is US vs from other points? Consider that and you may not be annoyed. Or may be more annoyed.

On any post on most forums it really helps the reader "get" what the author is saying if there's background info to explain their (the author's) thought process. More is always better when trying to communicate accurately.

Just some thoughts from a grouchy old retired, once divorced, male critter.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:35 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So there is a breed of Americans who are staunch nationalists, and not surprisingly, they can be arrogant, and closely connected to that arrogance is ignorance about other nations. You might hear that America as well as Americans are the best - at basically anything, the specifics don't matter to the claimant. This is associated with the Republican political party, and within the political class, loud claims of superiority, of supremacy are kind of a requirement - those who won't bluster in this way are rhetorically attacked and are unlikely to receive much support. It's not something I fully understand myself, to be honest. We are certainly not all this way though, in fact, this kind of excessive nationalism causes divisions within our own nation.
Absolutely your understanding seems to be lacking . . . perhaps from ignorance or maybe just pomposity?

Are you getting all your little "bad" groups you don't agree with swept up nice and neat into that "I'm fair and open minded and you're not" basket? Although you would be apt to try to sweep me into your basket of those who you deem a problem and need to just go away I fail miserably on the arrogance and I hope ignorance portion of your diatribe.

Your attitude makes me SMDH as it is as much a cause of division as those you purport to be instigators of division. Shame on you for such a small thought process AND adding to the division(s). tsk! tsk! It is a character weakness to only see issues from one perspective and that being your own and lacking ANY sort of empathy for the other person's point(s) of view. Seems to come a lot from our younger members of society with fewer real life experiences and live in a self absorbed world. Pot, meet kettle.

Nationalism is not the problem but hate and disrespect of others is and it's prevalent in both political sides. What are you doing to fix this issue? Here's some wisdom from Eldridge Cleaver. : "There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem."

And to think I came here to talk to Canadians about their wonderful country and have to read such a hateful diatribe on one's own US countrymen (and women) which screamed for a response. Grandma would say you're up there on your high horse! Grandma would say a lot even though she was usually reserved. I can just hear he now : Pot, meet Kettle" or even "Can't see the forest for the trees"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada