Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 12:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As part of the "9/11 community", I know a lot of stories. They are endless.

The rest of the story regarding the Aviation Director is that within a week or so before his death, and that eighth anniversary on which he died, someone who had worked on the pile showed someone from the Port Authority a strip of photos, like those you would do for an ID or in a photo booth and said he had found them while working on the cleanup, and he had kept them.

He did not know who the person was or whether he had lived or died, but when he showed them to the PA employee, he said, "Oh, that's Bill Decota, our Aviation Director."

The guy who had the pictures mailed them to Bill that week, but they arrived after he died (of kidney failure after a surgery). Just strange.
You really should write all your memories and thoughts down. Could be a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This comes up fairly regularly. I think that for many Americans who are "low information" (when it comes to Canada) there aren't that many things that stick out as foreign about Canada and French is just an obvious thing for them that is foreign.

Being low information people to begin with they then extrapolate that perception across the entire country even if it's not accurate.
I've found the same when I'm in France. They just put Canadian and French speaking together.

Mind you I haven't been in a few years, but I am going next year for a few weeks. I'll see if things have changed.

Old 11-30-2023, 12:23 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,707,807 times
As an American that's never been to Canada, I don't understand how one country can have two official languages.

Does the govt communicate with the people in one language and then the other? Or are there two spokespeople?

Is there an official line of delineation in the middle of Canada?

Old 11-30-2023, 12:25 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've found the same when I'm in France. They just put Canadian and French speaking together.

Mind you I haven't been in a few years, but I am going next year for a few weeks. I'll see if things have changed.
Is your last name French? I found the French kept bringing up hockey. But it's been a while for me too. I actually had plans to go to Israel this year and then the renovators took forever. That might have been a blessing in disguise.

Old 11-30-2023, 12:34 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
You really should write all your memories and thoughts down. Could be a book.
I have written many of them. So have many others like me.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:17 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
As an American that's never been to Canada, I don't understand how one country can have two official languages.

Does the govt communicate with the people in one language and then the other? Or are there two spokespeople?

Dozens of countries around the world have more than one official language: Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, etc.

Probably close to 50.

Each one of them works things out their own way but in many cases you generally have one language concentrated in one part of the country, and another in another region.

Canada is sort of like that, with French largely concentrated in Quebec and English outside of it, but it's not quite seamless and there are also English communities in Quebec and French communities in some of the other so-called "anglo" provinces as well.

For example, this is Shippagan, New Brunswick. So not in Quebec, the "French" (sic) province of Canada.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.7439...8192?entry=ttu

Old 11-30-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

Official on the federal level, and in New Brunswick provincially as well.

When a politician or official is giving a speech if they are bilingual, they switch back and forth, with the appropriate captions on the screen for those that only speak one of the languages. Or in some cases a voice over to translate into the other language.

What the official language status means, is that Canadians by law are entitled to federal government services in both languages right across the country. It also means that packaging must be in both languages.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Obviously it varies depending on who you're talking to but yes I also find that a lot of people in France do this: it's almost like they take the demographics of the province of Quebec and map them onto Canada as a whole.

So basically Canada is predominantly francophone and then sure you have some anglos, but they're like all like Bryan Adams, so bilingual. (Even though Bryan Adams isn't even from Quebec. But he does speak French.)

Old 11-30-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Is your last name French? I found the French kept bringing up hockey. But it's been a while for me too. I actually had plans to go to Israel this year and then the renovators took forever. That might have been a blessing in disguise.
My last name. Quite the story. It's actually Quebecois, and not really a name found in France, as I discovered in the 1980's when I first visited.

Without giving too much away, the actual name of my ancestors had an added named regarding location in France. That actual name dropped off over the centuries ( ancestors arrived here in the 1640's ) and the location name stuck.

I get bemused looks sometimes when I give my name in France, which I didn't understand. A friend from Lyon explained the name sounds both risqué and medieval to them.

That said, I got the expectation of speaking French before they knew my name, just the fact I was from Canada was enough.

Yes hockey and Quebec is pretty much what most know. Some didn't know we had a pacific coast.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Official on the federal level, and in New Brunswick provincially as well.

When a politician or official is giving a speech if they are bilingual, they switch back and forth, with the appropriate captions on the screen for those that only speak one of the languages. Or in some cases a voice over to translate into the other language.

What the official language status means, is that Canadians by law are entitled to federal government services in both languages right across the country. It also means that packaging must be in both languages.
I'd also add that some government officials or employees in Canada are bilingual, either by legal requirement or out of custom.

For example, there is no law that the Prime Minister of Canada has to be bilingual in English and French but in practice that has been the case for all of them since the late 1960s.

What happens is that all of the major federal political parties in Canada (i.e. any party that could realistically take power) have at a minimum an unwritten rule that their leaders must be bilingual. So if you're not bilingual, you better work on your French (or English if you're a French speaker) if you want to be leader.

In the case of a leader who doesn't speak French, you're potentially forsaking a huge share of voters since Quebec is the second most populous province by quite a bit, with the second largest city within it. So none of the political parties can ignore it if they want a chance at power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada