Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 01:40 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
And what's up with Americans thinking we all speak French?
Isn't Canada officially a bilingual country? I believe it was done to to improve federal-provincial relations. They don't want French speaking Quebec to secede. In a lot of places in Quebec it can be hard to find people who know English. And my French is le chat est petit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 02:00 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Isn't Canada officially a bilingual country? I believe it was done to to improve federal-provincial relations. They don't want French speaking Quebec to secede. In a lot of places in Quebec it can be hard to find people who know English. And my French is le chat est petit.
https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...ages-act.html#
1867: The Constitution Act recognizes the use of two languages, English and French, in Parliament and before the federal courts. However, the concept of “official languages” is still not in use.

1962: The Royal Commission on Government Organization recommends that the government provide its services in English and French.

1963: The Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism is established with a mandate to recommend steps to develop the country on the principle of equality between English and French.

1967: The Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism recommends to the Government of Canada that English and French be declared the official languages of Canada.

1969: The first federal Official Languages Act is adopted, and it declares English and French to be the two official languages of Canada.

Etc.
I’ve always been surprised that the U.S. has no official language.

Old 11-30-2023, 02:23 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Don’t you have to be bilingual to be a political leader in Quebec?
No, but in practice most are to some degree.

François Legault is not that great in English, even if he is from the western part of Montreal and a former self-made business executive. (He founded an airline.)

In 2018 the Quebec party leaders had an election debate in English for the first (and so far, last) time.

This should give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AmiPzP0U0E

Old 11-30-2023, 02:26 PM

Here is the last Canadian *federal* leaders debate - in French. With a majority of participants who aren't native speakers of French, nor from Quebec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKpwFP6HACw

Old 11-30-2023, 02:39 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’ve always been surprised that the U.S. has no official language.
That would open a can of worms. If English were made the official language, people would instantly start complaining (more than they already do) about all the services which are offered in, e.g. Spanish. There would be even more open hostility towards the millions of people who speak other languages than there already is.

There would also be a clamor for Spanish to be added as co-official (about 1/8 of Americans are native Spanish speakers). If successful, that would mean all official publications, product packaging, etc. would have to be altered to include both languages, as it is in Canada, and so on, with the associated hassle and expense.

We don't need any of that; have enough problems already.

Old 11-30-2023, 02:54 PM

The US already has an official language: English.

It just doesn't say it out loud.

Old 11-30-2023, 05:02 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Another language spat in Parliament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HOt1g5SmNs

Old 11-30-2023, 05:22 PM

1,137 posts, read 614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Another language spat in Parliament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HOt1g5SmNs
Lol @ spat.

The main thing I noticed is Hedy Fry (Chair) wearing the cheapest face mask possible and therefore needing to constantly adjust it when she spoke.

Ummmmm excuse me, I'm pretty sure our gov't has spent a jillion $$$ on proper PPE?

The jist of the little argument is that the Alberta PC candidate asked the Minister to reply in English to her? Why is this such a big deal? He can speak both fluently can't he?

Old 11-30-2023, 07:28 PM

Pascale St-Onge is a she.

Old 11-30-2023, 07:47 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
The jist of the little argument is that the Alberta PC candidate asked the Minister to reply in English to her? Why is this such a big deal? He can speak both fluently can't he?
Yes she can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnLp9Zt4RBM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada