Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 01:33 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
The jist of the little argument is that the Alberta PC candidate asked the Minister to reply in English to her? Why is this such a big deal? He can speak both fluently can't he?
This was on our local news tonight, likely because the MP in question is from Alberta, and well, I'm in Alberta. A suitable topic for a local newscast.

From what I understood from the newscast, the Conservative Member from Lethbridge asked why, when the Minister was asked questions in English from Liberals, she answered in English; but when she was asked questions in English from Conservatives, she answered in French. I do believe that a number of Members, from both the Liberals and Conservatives, objected to such a question, and the Lethbridge member in question has offered a written apology. No idea what language it was written in.

I don't have the whole story, which I only paid half-attention to, because I was drafting some professional correspondence at the same time.

Don't shoot the messenger, folks. This is only what I half-heard through drafting a letter on a corporate law matter. I could be wrong, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 08:20 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Most Canadians I've came across with are nice people and a bit of pushover I guess. Not tough like Americans are built.
I'm far too sensitive a person to be on this forum with the majority being Americans. I'm exceedingly misunderstood.

Expressing my opinions gets me nothing in return but insults, personal attacks, hypercriticisms and cruel judgements.

So unfair, especially since I have no intention of causing harm, offense, or negative effects to someone else. I practice politeness and kindness on here, but it's always misunderstood - interpreted as a lack of experience and wisdom. Just recently on a thread I was accused of having "no self-awareness."

I can't win with Americans, and I plan to stop trying...time to bow out gracefully.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:54 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I'm far too sensitive a person to be on this forum with the majority being Americans. I'm exceedingly misunderstood.

Expressing my opinions gets me nothing in return but insults, personal attacks, hypercriticisms and cruel judgements.

So unfair, especially since I have no intention of causing harm, offense, or negative effects to someone else. I practice politeness and kindness on here, but it's always misunderstood - interpreted as a lack of experience and wisdom. Just recently on a thread I was accused of having "no self-awareness."

I can't win with Americans, and I plan to stop trying...time to bow out gracefully.
There’s a lot of old farts on this website. Divorced, bitter old men and women who blame “the left” for everything and like to use coded words to complain about minorities on the local forums. The average person is probably like 67 and many people are not happy with their place in life so take it out on others. Many people on here are very nice, but not everyone unfortunately. A wise man once said if you won’t take advice from that person, don’t take their criticism.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:28 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
There’s a lot of old farts on this website. Divorced, bitter old men and women who blame “the left” for everything and like to use coded words to complain about minorities on the local forums. The average person is probably like 67 and many people are not happy with their place in life so take it out on others. Many people on here are very nice, but not everyone unfortunately. A wise man once said if you won’t take advice from that person, don’t take their criticism.
I like that quote.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:58 AM

579 posts, read 431,909 times
Quote:

I don't believe it's just an American thing. There are rude people everywhere. And this site has a lot of vocal ones.

Also, I saw one of your comments in the exercise forum that got a lot of flak. As someone represented in your comment, I appreciated it.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:57 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I was curious about why she was manifesto-ing from C-D so I looked at her recent posts. The reason for her being upset has nothing to do with politics or right wing or left wing comments.

Edited to add: I used to post with a bunch of rambunctious Americans over 20 years ago. It was a very interesting, bright and lively group but with a tendency to bicker. Manifesto threads were not unusual (posters often returned after they cooled off.) In the spirit of helpfulness, one poster, a lawyer by trade, drafted up a fill-in-the-blanks manifesto rant (a la “goodbye cruel world”) which offered multiple choice options for each blank. It was an hysterically funny read.

Last edited by cdnirene; 12-29-2023 at 03:09 PM..

Old 12-29-2023, 05:01 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I would caution people that Canada is a big country, and so is the United States. I don't think it's fair or accurate for anyone to stereotype those of either nation. We are all individuals, and if you're interacting with someone, I would ask that you let them be who they are, without assumptions based on labels or categories you can assign to them.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 12-29-2023 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-29-2023, 06:30 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I was curious about why she was manifesto-ing from C-D so I looked at her recent posts. The reason for her being upset has nothing to do with politics or right wing or left wing comments.

Edited to add: I used to post with a bunch of rambunctious Americans over 20 years ago. It was a very interesting, bright and lively group but with a tendency to bicker. Manifesto threads were not unusual (posters often returned after they cooled off.) In the spirit of helpfulness, one poster, a lawyer by trade, drafted up a fill-in-the-blanks manifesto rant (a la “goodbye cruel world”) which offered multiple choice options for each blank. It was an hysterically funny read.
You’re right, I was just thinking most of the time the last year or two when I’ve seen Americans talk about Canada it seems to be pushing conspiracies about how we’re “Communist” under Trudeau and what not.
There’s also this pervasive attitude that every forum on here not specifically about Canada or whatever country is about the US by default, which is annoying when trying to discuss things from a Canadian’s perspective.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:45 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
I have moral values such as compassion, empathy and kindness. I'm polite, say "sorry" a lot. It's viewed as a weakness, and I've been accused by Americans as being "naive about life".

And what's up with Americans thinking we all speak French? I also do not ever say "eh", nor do I like maple syrup...and we are not all beer-swilling, pot smoking hockey fans. Our politics are different. Weather - we are known for being a frigid wasteland Canada's healthcare system has it's pros and cons. We have our own culture, customs and traditions.

Just setting the record straight on what (some, not all) Americans get wrong about their northern neighbors.

Why do you think we think about you at all?

Old 12-30-2023, 07:09 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
So there is a breed of Americans who are staunch nationalists, and not surprisingly, they can be arrogant, and closely connected to that arrogance is ignorance about other nations. You might hear that America as well as Americans are the best - at basically anything, the specifics don't matter to the claimant. This is associated with the Republican political party, and within the political class, loud claims of superiority, of supremacy are kind of a requirement - those who won't bluster in this way are rhetorically attacked and are unlikely to receive much support. It's not something I fully understand myself, to be honest. We are certainly not all this way though, in fact, this kind of excessive nationalism causes divisions within our own nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada