Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 09:30 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times

Advertisements

Some people (moi) have moved their entire household belongings several times in the last few years. Due to moving company behaviors everything gets shifted around. Different spaces are allocated to “important documents” and fewer boxes are unpacked. It’s just a pain to repeat theoretically unnecessary steps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 10:12 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
From the site, it seems that one can apply at either one of these places - post-office, library and government office. Interesting.
A passport will cost $130, a passport card $30. Then why would anyone pay $160 for both a passport and a card? it makes no sense.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...pply/fees.html
For pure convenience sakes of course. If I lived in Buffalo, NY or any other border community and frequently drove to Canada for business for instance, it would be so much more convenient to have an official ID kept in my wallet and with me at all times rather than worry about carrying around a full passport book all the time. Then if I want to vacation in Europe or Asia, I still have my full passport book to use. The passport card pretty much works like an enhanced driver's license. Keep in mind that a passport is not just used to get over the border but is your official national identification document. Heavens forbid anything happens to a visitor in a foreign country but the consular authorities can identify the person by their passport. It is so important a document to lose during a foreign trip, which is why a wallet sized card that can take its place is so much safer and convenient, especially for solo and/or frequent travelers.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:22 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Some people (moi) have moved their entire household belongings several times in the last few years. Due to moving company behaviors everything gets shifted around. Different spaces are allocated to “important documents” and fewer boxes are unpacked. It’s just a pain to repeat theoretically unnecessary steps.
They are not "theoretically unnecessary". You have to have a passport book or passport card to cross an international border. Period. End of story. If your passport was issued in the last 15 years you can use it to get a new passport by mail. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ort/renew.html

If your passport is lost, was issued more than 15 years ago, you have to apply in person with all of the documents. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-passport.html

Old 12-17-2023, 11:16 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
They are not "theoretically unnecessary". You have to have a passport book or passport card to cross an international border. Period. End of story. If your passport was issued in the last 15 years you can use it to get a new passport by mail. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ort/renew.html

If your passport is lost, was issued more than 15 years ago, you have to apply in person with all of the documents. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-passport.html
I don't think it was an old passport of which the person was unsure of the location, but rather the birth certificate/identity document you need to get one.

Given the back-and-forth paperwork and hoops I had to jump through to get into Canada during the border closure, spending a few minutes locating one's birth certificate seems like a piece of cake. It's all a matter of perspective.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-17-2023 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-17-2023, 03:32 PM

1,140 posts, read 617,266 times
When I was in my late teens, my buddy drove across from Canada to US and forgot to bring any official ID. He showed them his library card... and they let him through

Do they let ppl cross the border with a citizen's card? Here we can get Canadian Citizen cards... do Americans have something similar?

Old 12-18-2023, 07:19 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
When I was in my late teens, my buddy drove across from Canada to US and forgot to bring any official ID. He showed them his library card... and they let him through

Do they let ppl cross the border with a citizen's card? Here we can get Canadian Citizen cards... do Americans have something similar?

Those days are long gone. I remember back in the 1990's, CBP guards would just ask a few questions and we were on our way. In the even distant past in places like Niagara Falls, tourists used to simply walk back and forth freely so an old friend told me. Ditto with Derby Line VT/Stanstead QC. The American side was stricter and as far as I know, did ask for ID but a driver's license for grownups was enough. The closest thing to a citizen card nowadays is the passport card I had mentioned in my earlier post. There is of course pre-approved express entry like FAST, NEXUS, SENTRY, etc. but I assume that you'd have to have proof of citizenship to show when applying for such services.

Old 12-19-2023, 10:12 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
I regularly cross into Canada from the US (as a matter of fact, most recently last weekend) with my enhanced driving license so, no, you do not need a passport for land or marine border crossing but you do for air travel.

Old 12-19-2023, 10:15 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Those days are long gone. I remember back in the 1990's, CBP guards would just ask a few questions and we were on our way. In the even distant past in places like Niagara Falls, tourists used to simply walk back and forth freely so an old friend told me. Ditto with Derby Line VT/Stanstead QC. The American side was stricter and as far as I know, did ask for ID but a driver's license for grownups was enough. The closest thing to a citizen card nowadays is the passport card I had mentioned in my earlier post. There is of course pre-approved express entry like FAST, NEXUS, SENTRY, etc. but I assume that you'd have to have proof of citizenship to show when applying for such services.
In a way, we are back to the good old days with the enhanced driving license. Last weekend I literally just waved my EDL at the border guard, a couple of questions (where you are going, when are you coming back) and I was through.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,570,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I regularly cross into Canada from the US (as a matter of fact, most recently last weekend) with my enhanced driving license so, no, you do not need a passport for land or marine border crossing but you do for air travel.
I assume that's a US issued enhanced license. I wish Canada offered similar I live close enough to the border to make driving over more practical than flying (I might fly once in three years, but I drive over a dozen times each summer) I have always considered passports to be a money grab from the government.

Old 12-19-2023, 12:52 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
I assume that's a US issued enhanced license. I wish Canada offered similar I live close enough to the border to make driving over more practical than flying (I might fly once in three years, but I drive over a dozen times each summer) I have always considered passports to be a money grab from the government.
They do...

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers...-what-are-they

DHS worked with Canadian provincial and federal officials to change EDLs as another option to the Canadian passport. Four Canadian provinces (British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec) are issuing EDLs to Canadian citizens. Canadian citizens can present an EDL when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada