Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 01:05 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. I am assuming that the Real ID is the same as an “enhanced” driver’s license. But i know assuming is risky. Is it?

And I wonder is they are more picky if the state the license is from isn’t the state you’re standing in as you attempt to cross the border. Hmm possible complications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 01:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Thanks everyone. I am assuming that the Real ID is the same as an “enhanced” driver’s license. But i know assuming is risky. Is it?

And I wonder is they are more picky if the state the license is from isn’t the state you’re standing in as you attempt to cross the border. Hmm possible complications.
It has been explained to you that Real ID is NOT the same as an enhanced driver's license. It will not get you across the border.

Border guards care only that you have the proper identification, and not so much what state you are from.

https://www.stearnscountymn.gov/1587...s-Enhanced-ID#

Old 12-19-2023, 06:43 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post

You are delusional to think that the Real ID is the same as an enhanced driver's license. Did you not read my earlier post? The Real ID cannot be used for any type of foreign travel. Only the five states of Washington, Minnesota, Michigan, New York, and Vermont issue enhanced driver's licenses to eligible residents, which are basically the US Passport Card and a driver's license combined into one, and a resident is typically someone who has resided in that state for a year or more. I assume you do not live in one of those states right? The Canadian border authorities share an awful lot of information with the US State Department and even the FBI. When they swipe your passport or passport card over their machine, they can see who you are, what criminal record you have if any (yes, a criminal conviction can deny you entry to Canada), and so forth. Don't try to fool the border authorities or sneak across the border. They can levy stiff fines for trespassing or even arrest you; at the very least they will simply turn you back around to the US where our own American authorities will likely give you an equally hard time trying to prove your citizenship since you did not bring a passport or passport card. You'll likely face penalties on the US side too. A lot of this is common sense and the rest can be found on officially legitimate websites such as the US State Department and the Government of Canada website.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:13 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
A passport is recommended to cross the border into Canada, but it is not required.

Quote:
International visitors to Canada

All international travellers must carry acceptable identification and a valid visa (if necessary) when entering Canada. A passport is recommended because it is the only reliable and universally-accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel.
Travel and identification documents for entering Canada

Old 12-19-2023, 08:00 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
A passport is recommended to cross the border into Canada, but it is not required.

It's not that simple. You click on that link, and then you have to click on the next link for the country, in this case the United States, and then there are all the different scenarios under which a person may be entering from the US; for example, a permanent resident of the US who comes from another country, someone on a visa, etc.

Read the link. Bottom line is that you won't get in with your driver's license or library card, and you are NEVER guaranteed entry--the CBSA agent decides.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:05 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
Quote:

Believe me, you'll need a passport, passport card, or valid enhanced driver's license to get back into the USA from Canada as a visitor. The Department of Homeland Security's site says so https://www.dhs.gov/western-hemisphe...vel-initiative. Either nation sets up their own immigration laws and their own admissibility rules and they do not always coincide.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:43 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Read the link. Bottom line is that you won't get in with your driver's license or library card, and you are NEVER guaranteed entry--the CBSA agent decides.
That is correct, for a foreigner entering Canada or a foreigner entering the US, the border guard in the end has the authority to let you in or not no matter even if you have a valid visa. Visiting a country is a privilege not a right. Only citizens have the right of entry.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's not that simple. You click on that link, and then you have to click on the next link for the country, in this case the United States, and then there are all the different scenarios under which a person may be entering from the US; for example, a permanent resident of the US who comes from another country, someone on a visa, etc.

Okay requirements by country:

Quote:
U.S. citizens

U.S. citizens must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport.
US citizens must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport. You must have proper identification. A U.S. passport is recommended. That is pretty clear English, from an official source.

As was previously posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I regularly cross into Canada from the US (as a matter of fact, most recently last weekend) with my enhanced driving license so, no, you do not need a passport for land or marine border crossing but you do for air travel.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:36 AM

17,181 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Okay requirements by country:

US citizens must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport. You must have proper identification. A U.S. passport is recommended. That is pretty clear English, from an official source.

As was previously posted.
Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing?

An enhanced driver's license is essentially a two-in-one passport and DL. There are a total of FIVE states that issue those. Aside from that, you will need a passport to travel between the US and Canada, period.

The OP lives in North Carolina, and CANNOT get one, therefore, they NEED a passport.

*By the way, it used to be that you could travel to and from Canada with just a Permanent Resident Card. I'm a Canadian citizen, US Green Card holder. I tried this once. Got into Canada fairly easily. Returning to the US was a nightmare. Agents were DEMANDING my passport, and would not allow me to proceed. Until ONE of many agents overheard the conversation, came, grabbed my Green Card, scanned it, and showed his colleagues what to look for. You know what showed up on their screen when they scanned my Green Card? My Canadian Passport.

Point being, border agents CAN and most often STILL do demand passports, and can deny you entry if you don't provide one. It is the only universally-accepted travel document.
Sure, they CAN allow you to cross without one if you have one of the few other "acceptable" travel docs, but they don't HAVE to. At the very least, they can make your life a living hell by detaining you for however many hours they want.

OP, get a passport. USCBP and CBSA highly advise you to. Or follow advice from random shmo's on online forums.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 12-20-2023 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-21-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing?

An enhanced driver's license is essentially a two-in-one passport and DL. There are a total of FIVE states that issue those. Aside from that, you will need a passport to travel between the US and Canada, period.

The OP lives in North Carolina, and CANNOT get one, therefore, they NEED a passport.

*By the way, it used to be that you could travel to and from Canada with just a Permanent Resident Card. I'm a Canadian citizen, US Green Card holder. I tried this once. Got into Canada fairly easily. Returning to the US was a nightmare. Agents were DEMANDING my passport, and would not allow me to proceed. Until ONE of many agents overheard the conversation, came, grabbed my Green Card, scanned it, and showed his colleagues what to look for. You know what showed up on their screen when they scanned my Green Card? My Canadian Passport.

Point being, border agents CAN and most often STILL do demand passports, and can deny you entry if you don't provide one. It is the only universally-accepted travel document.
Sure, they CAN allow you to cross without one if you have one of the few other "acceptable" travel docs, but they don't HAVE to. At the very least, they can make your life a living hell by detaining you for however many hours they want.

OP, get a passport. USCBP and CBSA highly advise you to. Or follow advice from random shmo's on online forums.
I'm just clarifying what CBSA says about the matter. There is a difference between what is advised and what is required. There is no Canadian law that requires US citizens to have a passport to enter Canada. There is no Canadian law that requires US citizens to have an enhanced driver's license to enter Canada. .

Your statement that the OP needs a passport is just plain false. It's recommended that he have one, not required. Why not just give the OP the correct information and let them decide for themselves what to use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada