Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 05:10 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Right. There is nobody there to check... Until there is.

Point being, you're SUPPOSED to carry one. Why not just carry it instead of hoping no one is there to check? Anything can happen that might alert the authorities. And then what? "Oh, I didn't obey your rules because USUALLY no one is here to check?"

You know what else people do all the time with no one checking? Drive without a driver's license. People do it for years. Some go about their whole lives driving without one. Would it be wise to suggest that people just not bother with getting driver's licenses?
True, over 15% of driver's don't have a driver's license. When they get caught, they either get a driver's license, or they just keep driving without one.

The worst that can happen at the border, is that you will get turned back if you don't have the proper documents. As for the rules, as I have already stated, there is no law that you must have a passport, or even an enhanced driver's license to enter Canada. A passport is only a recommendation, not a rule. So you are not violating any rules by not having one.

Anyway it's all a moot point, since the OP has decided to get a passport. I just posted the pictures and videos to show that border security is not a strict as some here think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 12:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
True, over 15% of driver's don't have a driver's license. When they get caught, they either get a driver's license, or they just keep driving without one.

The worst that can happen at the border, is that you will get turned back if you don't have the proper documents. As for the rules, as I have already stated, there is no law that you must have a passport, or even an enhanced driver's license to enter Canada. A passport is only a recommendation, not a rule. So you are not violating any rules by not having one.

Anyway it's all a moot point, since the OP has decided to get a passport. I just posted the pictures and videos to show that border security is not a strict as some here think it is.
Be aware that there are drones, underground sensors, and other technology used to monitor remote parts of the border.

Old 12-30-2023, 02:59 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Be aware that there are drones, underground sensors, and other technology used to monitor remote parts of the border.
How can a drone read your passport or any other ID?

Old 12-30-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Oh don't they warn you. It reminds me of two Canadians who decided to cowboy camp right on the US - Canada - Border line, next to the U.S. CBP sign warning about illegal entry into the U.S. What did they find? A nice big camera on the sign. At first they thought, oh so the Americans are watching us. But upon further examination they discovered that it was actually an RCMP police camera monitoring Canadians on their own side of the border.

Old 12-31-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
How can a drone read your passport or any other ID?
I'm going to assume you are joking.

Old 12-31-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Oh don't they warn you. It reminds me of two Canadians who decided to cowboy camp right on the US - Canada - Border line, next to the U.S. CBP sign warning about illegal entry into the U.S. What did they find? A nice big camera on the sign. At first they thought, oh so the Americans are watching us. But upon further examination they discovered that it was actually an RCMP police camera monitoring Canadians on their own side of the border.

Not sure I get your point.

The sign is a US sign on the US side of the border. The RCMP have a camera on the Canadian side of the border. The second photo just shows a lock on a sign. No way to tell if it is on the sign in the first photo. Plus I'm not sure of the arrangements made between the US and Canada in that regard.

Any suspicious activity would most likely be shared by both. The US and Canada share databases etc.

However, my point stands. Even remote seemingly easy to cross sections of the border are monitored in some way.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-31-2023 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-31-2023, 10:19 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Quote:
However, my point stands. Even remote seemingly easy to cross sections of the border are monitored in some way.
You may remember Coutts, Alberta. It was in the news a lot during the truckers' protest, as it is an important crossing point between the US and Canada, and was blockaded for some time.

Anyway, if you go to Coutts, and I have, you find a baseball field in the very southern part of the town. So far south, in fact, that right field is cut short by the border. The only barrier is a pagewire fence, bearing a sign that says that illegal entry into the US is prohibited, and directing people to the border checkpoint, a little ways east. If all there is, is a pagewire fence in right field, then I'm pretty sure that we're talking some sort of unobtrusive monitoring, but monitoring nonetheless.

Fun story: a local friend grew up in Coutts. When she and her friends went to play baseball, there was always a danger that somebody would knock one over the fence in the shortened right field, and the ball would thus be irretrieveable. So the Coutts kids would call their friends in Sweetgrass, Montana, right across the border, and invite them to come watch the game from the US side. That way, if a ball went over the fence, the Sweetgrass kids could throw it back into Canada.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Not sure I get your point.

The sign is a US sign on the US side of the border. The RCMP have a camera on the Canadian side of the border. The second photo just shows a lock on a sign. No way to tell if it is on the sign in the first photo. Plus I'm not sure of the arrangements made between the US and Canada in that regard.

Any suspicious activity would most likely be shared by both. The US and Canada share databases etc.

The RCMP lock is on the camera. You can watch the entire video here. I just screenshotted it to save people the time of watching a 30 minute video about two guys camping on the border.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaNgdIbCRe0

Old 01-01-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
The RCMP lock is on the camera. You can watch the entire video here. I just screenshotted it to save people the time of watching a 30 minute video about two guys camping on the border.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaNgdIbCRe0
The whole gist of your posts, is trying to show how " easy " it is to cross the border in remote areas.

My point was and still is, that remote areas are monitored.

Old 01-01-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
You may remember Coutts, Alberta. It was in the news a lot during the truckers' protest, as it is an important crossing point between the US and Canada, and was blockaded for some time.

Anyway, if you go to Coutts, and I have, you find a baseball field in the very southern part of the town. So far south, in fact, that right field is cut short by the border. The only barrier is a pagewire fence, bearing a sign that says that illegal entry into the US is prohibited, and directing people to the border checkpoint, a little ways east. If all there is, is a pagewire fence in right field, then I'm pretty sure that we're talking some sort of unobtrusive monitoring, but monitoring nonetheless.

Fun story: a local friend grew up in Coutts. When she and her friends went to play baseball, there was always a danger that somebody would knock one over the fence in the shortened right field, and the ball would thus be irretrieveable. So the Coutts kids would call their friends in Sweetgrass, Montana, right across the border, and invite them to come watch the game from the US side. That way, if a ball went over the fence, the Sweetgrass kids could throw it back into Canada.
Great story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada