Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2024, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Saskatoon - Saskatchewan, Canada
826 posts, read 864,415 times
Reputation: 757

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It's not quite that simple either - many people whom I know who are or have been against immigration ARE racists. It's just convenient for them that housing has become an issue as it takes attention away from their racism.

One conversation from a few years back with a visitor who volunteered that immigrants should stay in their own countries. To which someone else responded, "Your mother was an immigrant." To which the person responded blithely: "I mean non-white immigrants."

Same person said recently that only two religions ought to be allowed in Canada - Christianity and atheism.

Same person makes nasty remarks about transgender and gay people without reading the room.

Although, as you know I am not for kids changing their gender, I recognise that those that share my views are mostly people I wouldn't care to associate with. The welfare of children is not what's driving their views.
The ultra-progressives are a minority but they are loud and they have an abnormal influence on the media, government, universities and social organizations. So they are able to create a heavy pressure over more moderate people who tend to disagree with some aspects of their ideas. They can make you feel embarrassed for expressing your disagreement. I am a moderate, but if I’m in a group with some very progressive people I will just shut my mouth about any controversy because I know they’ll make it feel like I’m being a monster even if I’m only partially disagreeing with half of what they say.

Only the extreme opposite doesn’t care about what other people think, so it can feel like everyone who is not an ultra-progressive is basically an openly racist person. But there’s a big silent majority of more moderate people who are not inclined to argue with extremists, so they just keep quiet.

There are millions and millions of moderate people with moderate views about immigration, transgenders and other subjects. Far from being really racists or homophobes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2024, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Reputation: 11640
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
The ultra-progressives are a minority but they are loud and they have an abnormal influence on the media, government, universities and social organizations. So they are able to create a heavy pressure over more moderate people who tend to disagree with some aspects of their ideas. They can make you feel embarrassed for expressing your disagreement. I am a moderate, but if I’m in a group with some very progressive people I will just shut my mouth about any controversy because I know they’ll make it feel like I’m being a monster even if I’m only partially disagreeing with half of what they say.

Only the extreme opposite doesn’t care about what other people think, so it can feel like everyone who is not an ultra-progressive is basically an openly racist person. But there’s a big silent majority of more moderate people who are not inclined to argue with extremists, so they just keep quiet.

There are millions and millions of moderate people with moderate views about immigration, transgenders and other subjects. Far from being really racists or homophobes.
I am finding that people are increasingly sharing these views among larger groups of friends and acquaintances where not long ago they would have kept quiet for fear of being stigmatized.

People are still generally keeping very quiet about things in workplaces. At least white collar workplaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2024, 08:52 AM
 
1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Now, what the trans activist crowd says is that if parents don't support and even encourage gender transition, treatments, etc. that this is akin to literally physically abusing your child. That is what all of this is about fundamentally. And therefore the state is justified in going behind your back with your kids, as if you were literally beating the crap out of your kids or sexually abusing them.
We had certain people on this forum say exactly that. Not only that but they said not supporting transition is the same as "conversion therapy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2024, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Reputation: 11640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
We had certain people on this forum say exactly that. Not only that but they said not supporting transition is the same as "conversion therapy".
They're just repeating what a number of leading figures of the Canadian government are saying, aren't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2024, 09:30 AM
 
1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Reputation: 760
^^Probably, a politician or a cardi B song. One of the two.

The privileged woke mob throws a temper tantrum ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2024, 09:52 AM
 
143 posts, read 109,788 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Pretty sure that beating up your children was banned a little while before 2016...
Tell this to Baba Dinesh. News flash: a couple of slaps cures gender confusion...permanently. That's why there is none in the Raj. Neither original or ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2024, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Reputation: 11640
You're still technically allowed to use physical punishment on your children in Canada.

There is currently a movement to actually ban it and make that part of our criminal law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2024, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Canada
7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Reputation: 8817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am finding that people are increasingly sharing these views among larger groups of friends and acquaintances where not long ago they would have kept quiet for fear of being stigmatized.

People are still generally keeping very quiet about things in workplaces. At least white collar workplaces.
Just because discussing a topic is of great interest to you, doesn’t mean such a topic is of great interest to others.

I haven’t discussed the trans topic with anyone except on this forum. It probably wouldn’t make my list of top 100 topics I would like to discuss with acquaintances. There are so many other topics I find more interesting (frivolous topics included). Discussion seems kind of pointless anyway unless one wants an echo chamber or is on a crusade to change people’s entrenched points of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2024, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Reputation: 11640
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Just because discussing a topic is of great interest to you, doesn’t mean such a topic is of great interest to others.

I haven’t discussed the trans topic with anyone except on this forum. It probably wouldn’t make my list of top 100 topics I would like to discuss with acquaintances. There are so many other topics I find more interesting. Discussion seems kind of pointless anyway unless one wants an echo chamber or is on a crusade to change people’s entrenched points of view.
I am not saying I bring it up myself. Believe it or not, I actually don't bring up controversial topics in groups. I may do so in one-on-one conservations though.

So I was just reporting on my observations - that people seem more likely to bring this stuff up in group settings these days.

BTW I was referring to both the gender ideology issue and immigration levels, both of which were basically taboo in polite group company in Canada until very recently.

(And are still taboo in professional settings, from what I am experiencing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2024, 10:17 AM
 
1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Just because discussing a topic is of great interest to you, doesn’t mean such a topic is of great interest to others.

I haven’t discussed the trans topic with anyone except on this forum. It probably wouldn’t make my list of top 100 topics I would like to discuss with acquaintances. There are so many other topics I find more interesting (frivolous topics included). Discussion seems kind of pointless anyway unless one wants an echo chamber or is on a crusade to change people’s entrenched points of view.
Do you have kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top