Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2024, 05:05 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times

Advertisements

Good to see mainstream media willing to write articles questioning the orthodoxy now. This article is mainly about the US, but it also covers a case of a BC nurse (who is trans no less), that had to change jobs after not being willing to blindly provide hormone treatments to patients that clearly had many other mental health issues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/02/o...dysphoria.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 06:00 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Good to see mainstream media willing to write articles questioning the orthodoxy now. This article is mainly about the US, but it also covers a case of a BC nurse (who is trans no less), that had to change jobs after not being willing to blindly provide hormone treatments to patients that clearly had many other mental health issues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/02/o...dysphoria.html
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Would be nice to see Canadian mainstream media do the same.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:17 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
I am highly oppose to one aspect of this bill, which is the following.

Alberta parents will need to give permission before a student aged 15 and under can use a name or pronoun at school other than what they were given at birth, Smith said.

Students who are 16 or 17 won't require permission but schools will need to let their parents know first.

Really? This is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. So what if a student changes his or her name, parents don't need to know about it. How about instead letting a kid be independent and in charge of at least one aspect of his or her life. The coddling of the youth these days is absolutely horrible.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:30 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post

Alberta parents will need to give permission before a student aged 15 and under can use a name or pronoun at school other than what they were given at birth, Smith said.

Students who are 16 or 17 won't require permission but schools will need to let their parents know first.

Really? This is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. So what if a student changes his or her name, parents don't need to know about it. How about instead letting a kid be independent and in charge of at least one aspect of his or her life. The coddling of the youth these days is absolutely horrible.
How about if the kids wait until they reach their age of majority (19 y.o.) to be able to legally change their names and identities, when they're considered adults who can go to work and support themselves and are no longer dependent and the legal responsibilities of their parents, no longer being on their parent's medical/dental coverage and no longer being housed, fed, clothed and otherwise dependent on their parents for their welfare and well being? What's wrong with that? What's wrong with waiting to age 19 to be fully independent in ALL aspects of their lives including calling themselves by whatever names and pronouns they want to call themselves?

Old 02-07-2024, 07:06 AM

333 posts, read 153,016 times
Quote:
So what if a student changes his or her name, parents don't need to know about it. How about instead letting a kid be independent and in charge of at least one aspect of his or her life.
Because the "students" you are referring to are children.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:10 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:

Ever watch reruns of Leave It to Beaver, a TV Show circa 1960? The main character was a boy by the name of Theodore. Teachers called him that. Everyone else, including his brother, his friends, his classmates, called him Beaver.

I very much doubt a child will be thrown into jail or punished in any way for calling a friend or classmate a desired nickname on the playground or away from school. The province would look ridiculous if it tried.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:54 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Ever watch reruns of Leave It to Beaver, a TV Show circa 1960? The main character was a boy by the name of Theodore. Teachers called him that. Everyone else, including his brother, his friends, his classmates, called him Beaver.

I very much doubt a child will be thrown into jail or punished in any way for calling a friend or classmate a desired nickname on the playground or away from school. The province would look ridiculous if it tried.
I'd argue nicknames are a bit different than actually changing one's identity from a boy to a girl or vice versa.

And you yourself acknowledge that teachers generally do not employ nicknames to refer to kids.

Changing a child's sex or gender identity in practical terms also involves more than just the name and pronouns, and involves the bathrooms, change rooms for gym class, and a bunch of other things.

It's the same as a nickname at all.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd argue nicknames are a bit different than actually changing one's identity from a boy to a girl or vice versa.

And you yourself acknowledge that teachers generally do not employ nicknames to refer to kids.

Changing a child's sex or gender identity in practical terms also involves more than just the name and pronouns, and involves the bathrooms, change rooms for gym class, and a bunch of other things.

It's the same as a nickname at all.
I and the person I was responding to were talking specifically about the ban against using anything but the legal first name and use of pronouns.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:38 AM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I and the person I was responding to were talking specifically about the ban against using anything but the legal first name and use of pronouns.
SO you think this is about nick names?

Old 02-07-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
SO you think this is about nick names?
No, I just think the Alberta government can’t control what children choose to call each other, particularly outside of government controlled institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada