Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2024, 09:59 AM

1,219 posts, read 488,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
No, I just think the Alberta government can’t control what children choose to call each other, particularly outside of government controlled institutions.
That is a massive over simplification of the situation though. I think you know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 10:28 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
I understood exactly what she was getting at.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:53 AM

143 posts, read 109,788 times
Quote:
No, I just think the Alberta government can’t control what children choose to call each other, particularly outside of government controlled institutions.
Continuing existence of institutions still outside government control is a huge oversight.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:00 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I understood exactly what she was getting at.

I don't understand why it's so hard to see that this goes far beyond an innocent nickname used between classmates. We've given lots of examples of why it isn't.

Another analogy would be if a Muslim kid named Ibrahim didn't want to be Muslim anymore but didn't want to tell his parents. He told everyone at school - friends in class and teachers, that he wanted to be known as Abraham or Abe. And everyone complied. No one could tell the parents. He'd eat pork in the school cafeteria. Everyone sworn to secrecy not to tell the parents. Including school staff. He'd go to Christian bible study at lunch time with teachers' encouragement. Behind the parents' backs again.

Somehow I doubt our bien-pensant Canadians would find this acceptable.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:43 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't understand why it's so hard to see that this goes far beyond an innocent nickname used between classmates. We've given lots of examples of why it isn't.

Another analogy would be if a Muslim kid named Ibrahim didn't want to be Muslim anymore but didn't want to tell his parents. He told everyone at school - friends in class and teachers, that he wanted to be known as Abraham or Abe. And everyone complied. No one could tell the parents. He'd eat pork in the school cafeteria. Everyone sworn to secrecy not to tell the parents. Including school staff. He'd go to Christian bible study at lunch time with teachers' encouragement. Behind the parents' backs again.

Somehow I doubt our bien-pensant Canadians would find this acceptable.
Sheesh, would it have helped if I had used ALIAS or FALSE NAME instead of nickname. My point was:

PARENTS AND THE GOVERNMENT HAVE LITTLE CONTROL OVER WHAT NAMES CHILDREN CHOOSE TO CALL EACH OTHER unless they forbid their children from interacting with other children.

It’s naive to think otherwise.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Sheesh, would it have helped if I had used ALIAS or FALSE NAME instead of nickname. My point was:

PARENTS AND THE GOVERNMENT HAVE LITTLE CONTROL OVER WHAT NAMES CHILDREN CHOOSE TO CALL EACH OTHER unless they forbid their children from interacting with other children.

It’s naive to think otherwise.
So I guess you are incapable of understanding the significant difference between kids informally nicknaming their friend "Fatso" or "Skin Flint" (regardless of whether parents are aware or not) and teachers agreeing to use these names as the actual semi-official name used for them in school?

Old 02-07-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
So I guess you are incapable of understanding the significant difference between kids informally nicknaming their friend "Fatso" or "Skin Flint" (regardless of whether parents are aware or not) and teachers agreeing to use these names as the actual semi-official name used for them in school?
Since when are teachers “other children”?

Old 02-07-2024, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Since when are teachers “other children”?
I never said they were.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I never said they were.
Why did you mention teachers in your post? They have nothing to do with the point I was making.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Why did you mention teachers in your post? They have nothing to do with the point I was making.
It's.
The.
Topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada