Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 03:34 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times

Advertisements

I saw that commercial just now on Fox News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 11:33 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Since it is originally an Irish song, it never occurred to me that it was a slam on Newfoundland. Perhaps the Newfoundlanders have an exaggerate sense of self worth if they think that anyone outside of Canada knows that is a popular song in Newfoundland. There is nothing to indicate that the farm is in Newfoundland or even in Canada.

I thought perhaps it was a dig at rural folks intended to be humorous. Although I didn't find it funny, mostly because it is an extremely rare commercial that is actually funny. Advertisers can't get humor right and I never expect that they will.

As for being outraged, much too sensitive and making a huge fuss way out of proportion to what was done..

Old 03-12-2024, 11:59 AM

What if the commercial used “Alouette” instead?

Old 03-12-2024, 12:07 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
For the longest time I thought this song was from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. People in the Sydney area also use the term "B'y".

Old 03-12-2024, 12:14 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
What if the commercial used “Alouette” instead?
Bird, bird, bird is the word.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Since it is originally an Irish song, it never occurred to me that it was a slam on Newfoundland. Perhaps the Newfoundlanders have an exaggerate sense of self worth if they think that anyone outside of Canada knows that is a popular song in Newfoundland. There is nothing to indicate that the farm is in Newfoundland or even in Canada.

I thought perhaps it was a dig at rural folks intended to be humorous. Although I didn't find it funny, mostly because it is an extremely rare commercial that is actually funny. Advertisers can't get humor right and I never expect that they will.

As for being outraged, much too sensitive and making a huge fuss way out of proportion to what was done..
It's may be influenced by Irish music, but it's not an Irish song. The Irish Rovers for example, were formed in Toronto, so just because it sounds Irish, obviously doesn't mean it is. Just like apple pie in the states.

Your can read in these links as to why.

https://www.cshf.ca/song/is-the-by/#...%20were%20made.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia..../is-the-by-emc

Regardless, the song is attached to Newfoundland, almost like an anthem. Every Canadian knew instantly this was Newfoundland. The fact that most are ignorant of that fact, doesn't really matter.

Newfoundlanders are some of the most down to earth people you will ever meet. They don't exaggerate their sense of worth, but they do have pride in the province and traditions. So, ya, I can see why playing the song while they show horrible accommodations, and then have it stop, when the people are in a nicer place touched a nerve. Subtle, but it's was done on purpose. Out of ignorance I would think. Perhaps the advertisers thought it hillbilly sounding to their uneducated ears.

As for outrage. I'm not a Newfoundlander, but I wasn't outraged, just a bit disappointed that people who should know better, makes stupid mistakes like this one.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-12-2024 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-13-2024, 01:02 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's may be influenced by Irish music, but it's not an Irish song. The Irish Rovers for example, were formed in Toronto, so just because it sounds Irish, obviously doesn't mean it is. Just like apple pie in the states....

Regardless, the song is attached to Newfoundland, almost like an anthem. Every Canadian knew instantly this was Newfoundland.
Right. It's important to remember that many of the folk tunes of North America are based on the rhythms, melodies, and structures of the folk songs of the UK and Ireland. We find this all the way from the Great Smokies in the US, through the Appalachians, across into New Brunswick/PEI/Nova Scotia, and on to Newfoundland, with some in the Ottawa Valley as well. Note that I'm referring to English-language songs; Quebec has theirs, naturally, but I don't know them as well (and in many cases, not at all, as they're in French).

Some are immediately identifiable as coming from a particular place. "Star of the County Down" and "Fields of Athenry" could only be Irish; and "Farewell to Nova Scotia" and "Song for the Mira" could only be Nova Scotian. For that matter, "House of the Rising Sun" is an American folk song that is firmly placed in New Orleans, Louisiana. Similarly, "I'se the B'y" is definitely Newfoundland. After all, "Fogo, Twillingate, Morton's Harbour," which the song mentions, are actual places in Newfoundland.

Others are less specific as to place. "Mairi's Wedding" is of Scottish origin, and very popular at weddings (at least, ones I've been to), so I've heard it pretty much everywhere. Same for "Man of Constant Sorrow," which is originally from Kentucky. "The Ash Grove" is a very pretty Welsh tune, but there is nothing to identify it as Welsh.

We can't forget Australia, which follows the original UK/Irish traditions in its homegrown folk music. "Botany Bay" and "Click Go the Shears" are great examples; more latter-day examples would be Banjo Paterson's "Waltzing Matilda," Slim Dusty's "The Pub With No Beer," and Rolf Harris' "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport."

Point is, that all of these tunes, identifiable as to place or not, are all a part of a great musical tradition that arose out of the UK and Ireland. Local variations occur, perhaps naming places, or local vocabulary, but j*gs (insert an "i" to get the name of the dance), reels, ballads, and "foolery songs," among other styles, all have common ancestors. "I'se the B'y" is no exception. It's definitely Newfoundland, though influenced by Irish music, as Nat asserted, and I hope I've added more information as to that.

Love this kind of music, by the way. I've played and sung it many times, from kitchen parties to ceildhs, and everywhere in between.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's may be influenced by Irish music, but it's not an Irish song. The Irish Rovers for example, were formed in Toronto, so just because it sounds Irish, obviously doesn't mean it is. Just like apple pie in the states.
Bet you’ve never seen a unicorn.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_EPsuO...4gc29uZw%3D%3D

Old 03-14-2024, 12:52 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
the glebe in Ottawa is full of them, or at least people who identify as one

Old 03-14-2024, 06:57 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Such a wonderful song!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada