Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 04:42 PM

1,221 posts, read 491,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
No, I'm not. My first response was in the context of indigenous people. Why wouldn't THEY believe it?
Can you think of any examples of Indigenous people being thrown in mass graves here in Canada? You said it yourself, It's ridiculous to believe that priests and nuns were in the business of killing people amd tossing their bodies into graves. Your words. We all have access to the same information. I have seen no evidence for genocide in this country. Yes people were wronged in the past, there is not doubt about that but mass graves is an entirely different matter. I know you didn't mention genocide but that is a word that gets thrown around a lot, even by some of our politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 04:55 PM

143 posts, read 110,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Can you think of any examples of Indigenous people being thrown in mass graves here in Canada? You said it yourself, It's ridiculous to believe that priests and nuns were in the business of killing people amd tossing their bodies into graves. Your words. We all have access to the same information. I have seen no evidence for genocide in this country. Yes people were wronged in the past, there is not doubt about that but mass graves is an entirely different matter. I know you didn't mention genocide but that is a word that gets thrown around a lot, even by some of our politicians.
Two possibilities and neither is good: 1. Trudeau did believe in mass murder of Indigenous people even when the Indigenous people hadn't, which means he is an easily led simpleton, or. 2. He did not believe in it, and just pretended, in which case he is a *********. ******** *** ! (fill in the blanks)

Old 03-13-2024, 05:14 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Can anyone point me to an original claim of mass graves? My recollection was the claim was unmarked graves (i.e. graveyard) on school property.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Can anyone point me to an original claim of mass graves? My recollection was the claim was unmarked graves (i.e. graveyard) on school property.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/28/w...l-schools.html

Quote:
Horrible History’: Mass Grave of Indigenous Children Reported in Canada
An Indigenous community says it has found evidence that 215 children were buried on the grounds of a British Columbia school, one of the many in Canada set up to forcibly assimilate them.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...nations-graves
Quote:
Who started calling residential school burial sites mass graves?
At least in the beginning, First Nations didn't claim there were deliberately hidden 'mass graves.' Media and activists did

Old 03-13-2024, 06:30 PM

Yup, just as I thought. It was media making the claim, not indigenous groups.

Old 03-13-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Yup, just as I thought. It was media making the claim, not indigenous groups.
Not in the beggining but many outright claim this was genocide.

Old 03-13-2024, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Not in the beggining but many outright claim this was genocide.
My question was about the claim of mass graves.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:26 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
In the larger context, the history of the treatment of natives in this country qualifies as a form of genocide, certainly. Encroaching on people’s land, building towns and killing “trespassers” whose land it was originally. This particular example ended in the early 1900s but the residential school system and cultural genocide of the native people is an aspect of that. I don’t think Canada is a particular outlier compared with other countries in the Americas in the greater context, but the residential school system in particular sets us apart. It in an of itself might not have been genocide in the commonly used sense, but it fits the definition of attempted eradication of a people or a culture

I don’t like the constant negative characterizations of priests and nuns in the media. I think it’s an incredible sacrifice someone makes to live a life like that and the religious clergy at these schools while they undoubtedly contributed to a horrible system, they were following the prevailing line of thinking of the day. It’s horrific and tragic, but I don’t think it’s fair to put the blame solely on them. Were there some sadistic, horrible people among the ranks? Undoubtedly there were. Those bad actors deserve to be singled out. It’s incredibly complex and black and white thinking helps no one

Last edited by pdw; 03-13-2024 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-13-2024, 08:42 PM

An article from last month.

Quote:
The Canadian church arsons never stopped
At least six Canadian churches have been hit by suspicious fires in just the last two months
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/can...-never-stopped

From this past december.

Quote:
Four Alberta churches burned in the weeks before Christmas
There have been 15 suspicious church fires so far in 2023 and police have arrested suspects in five of them

Author of the article:Tyler Dawson
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...fore-christmas

Old 03-14-2024, 04:20 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
There was for sure some second and third hand misreporting, but the LIDAR technology confirming unmarked grave locations and the numbers of these graves is accurate. International media mostly used the “mass graves” headlines. The headlines I saw on the CBC and in the National Post were “unmarked graves in Kamloops, Brandon, etc”. It’s not a big conspiracy that these LIDAR images confirming and bringing new publicity to these unmarked graves lead to such a huge dialogue about them. The residential school system was wrong, full stop. It may have been in line with colonialist thinking at the time, but it was a systematic attempt to assimilate indigenous people into Anglo/Franco Canadian culture at the expense of their own. It was involuntary and abusive. The conditions were horrible. Accuracy in reporting is important, but the graves exist and are real. It’s the “mass grave” headlines that were inaccurate as these did not fit that definition.
Minor quibble but residential schools did not assimilate Indigenous kids to French Canadian culture. Even in Québec itself residential schools taught in English with only 1-2 3 exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada