Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 11:53 AM

1,243 posts, read 511,977 times

Advertisements

It didn't work. Decriminalization didn't work. All it did was create more problems. Overdoses went up, drug use in public went up, needles on playgrounds became more of an issue.

Poeple like pdw want to put a small group of people before the good of the greater community. Even when it harms children. Hmmm Where have we seen this before?? Seems pretty common on among the woke crowd. We see a pattern here.

Quote:
Three Metro Vancouver city councils asked to seek recriminalization of drugs
Several mayors and councillors have expressed frustration at the lack of action to deal with rampant public drug use

Three Metro Vancouver city councillors have united to call on the province to end its “failed” drug decriminalization experiment.

The three councillors hired a public relations firm, using their own money, and on Monday put out a joint press release that stated: “Legalizing deadly drugs has killed users, hurt neighbourhoods, and damaged B.C. communities.
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ation-of-drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 07:39 AM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,103,160 times
The problem with open drug use is definitely worse in Western Canada than in Ontario, I’m not sure one size fits all applies here necessarily. I know Toronto is trying to decriminalize drug possession and personally I think that’s a good idea. Toronto probably has the most homeless drug addicts here, but per capita the worst drug problems here tend to be in smaller cities like Lindsay, Peterborough, Belleville and places of that size. You’ll see sharps bins in public parks in those areas. Things like that, combined with safe supply/injection sights, while unsightly, keeps the larger community safe while the root causes like housing insecurity and mental health can be addressed. I like Eby as a premier, but I hope he has a backup plan to address the root causes. Recriminalization shouldn’t lead to the city pushing cops to round up homeless addicts and jail them for possession. That’s too far, maybe there’s a middle approach somewhere. Some sort of probation program including counselling. Again, though, the addicts of the early 00s lived in flophouses and apartments. Today, they’re homeless. That’s not by choice, there’s literally no path to consistent housing for a lot of people. Even if you get a minimum wage job, it’s not enough to rent a room anymore. How are we going to expect success with any sort of schedule or rehabilitation program if they’re still stuck on the streets?

Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The problem with open drug use is definitely worse in Western Canada than in Ontario, I’m not sure one size fits all applies here necessarily.
That's because Ontario hasn't decriminalized drugs yet.

Quote:
I know Toronto is trying to decriminalize drug possession and personally I think that’s a good idea.
Of course you do, despite the negative impacts elsewhere. This is all virute signalling and politics for you.

Old Today, 07:45 PM

6,048 posts, read 5,972,945 times
I don't see the problem of decriminalizing certain drugs at any rate. In Portugal deaths have declined and by and large appears to be a success.

Surely remove it out of the hands as much as possible from the drug syndicates and others whose interests are served by maintaining illegality?

Old Today, 08:19 PM

Didn't work here in Canada. Overdose deaths skyrocketed as did open public use in such places as parks and playgrounds.

Old Today, 08:19 PM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,103,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I don't see the problem of decriminalizing certain drugs at any rate. In Portugal deaths have declined and by and large appears to be a success.

Surely remove it out of the hands as much as possible from the drug syndicates and others whose interests are served by maintaining illegality?
Unfortunately the plight of drug addicts and their afflictions don’t automatically induce compassion and a search for helpful solutions in everyone. There seems to be this temptation with people who are scared and paranoid to just send the cops on people and throw them in jail for the crime of being homeless and doing drugs in the country we live in which is in the middle of a housing crisis which you need to be in the top 5% of incomes to buy the bottom 1% of houses. I don’t blame people for doing drugs when you’re stuck in an endless cycle of despair where absolutely no one is providing a realistic solution for a way out. Yeah, throw people in jail, what a genius compassionate solution. Too many a-holes in this country only care about “me me me” themselves, their wife and kids and to hell with everyone else. That’s not the country I’ve grown to love in my lifetime. Canada stands for something better as far as I’m concerned.

Old Today, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Unfortunately the plight of drug addicts and their afflictions don’t automatically induce compassion and a search for helpful solutions in everyone. There seems to be this temptation with people who are scared and paranoid to just send the cops on people and throw them in jail for the crime of being homeless and doing drugs in the country we live in which is in the middle of a housing crisis which you need to be in the top 5% of incomes to buy the bottom 1% of houses. I don’t blame people for doing drugs when you’re stuck in an endless cycle of despair where absolutely no one is providing a realistic solution for a way out. Yeah, throw people in jail, what a genius compassionate solution. Too many a-holes in this country only care about “me me me” themselves, their wife and kids and to hell with everyone else. That’s not the country I’ve grown to love in my lifetime. Canada stands for something better as far as I’m concerned.
Yes too many a-holes only care about their agenda and virtue sginalling. They put their ideology before others, even before other peoles children, even when it's harmful to other peoples children. The only people we are responsible for in this world is ourselves our famlly but we're not even allowed to do that in peace anymore.

Legalization was tried and it didn't work. BC had a record amount of overdoses and use in public spaces became a bigger problem. Not to mention junkies harrassing people on public transportation. Every day there are videos coing out of people being attacked or harrassed by addicts on public transportation. Enough is enough.

This is what happened after a year of legalization...

Quote:
B.C. sets grim record with 2,511 toxic drug deaths in 2023
Toxic drug deaths in B.C. last year climbed to almost 7 per day
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2023-1.7093528
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada