Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 07:01 AM

26,929 posts, read 38,245,301 times

Advertisements

BTW, prejudice-fuelled posts are usually the least interesting part of a discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2024, 07:14 AM

4,868 posts, read 10,564,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
I was talking about "Franglais" a Quebec peculiarity meaning that it was French mixed with a lot of borrowed English words, You didnt hear English speakers mixing in French words in conversations.

I did not say that North Americans should speak the Queen's English. Accents change about every 60 miles in the UK but unfortunately are slowly becoming extinct thanks to the media becoming a major part of peoples lives
As a Montreal Anglophone, that's actually not the case, we do mix French words and phrases into our everyday conversations in English, in ways that are distinct from other communities of English speakers.

Old 05-27-2024, 03:29 PM

5,130 posts, read 2,084,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
As a Montreal Anglophone, that's actually not the case, we do mix French words and phrases into our everyday conversations in English, in ways that are distinct from other communities of English speakers.
I don't fully trust Wikipedia but there might be some interesting infos about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_English

That remind me when I was a kid, I saw some old roap maps of Montreal when they referenced A-15 as Laurentian Autoroute instead of Laurentian freeway/expressway.

Old 05-27-2024, 08:22 PM

3,548 posts, read 2,895,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Actually, English speakers in Quebec do use French words all the time, like dépanneur, terrasse, subvention, autoroute, formation (instead of training), pochette, garderie, resto, stage (for internship), métro, echo (for ultrasound), etc.

They also use French turns of phrase like "I need to find a parking", "close the lights" or "pass the vacuum".

Note that there is also tons of franglais in European French. It's just that the terms are different from the ones used in Quebec.

Quebecers actually like to make fun of the anglicisms used in France, because they sound very illogical to them.
What sort of anglicisms?

Old 05-27-2024, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
What sort of anglicisms?
Like "footing" for "jogging".

Old 05-27-2024, 08:31 PM

Today in the news the head of anglophone Concordia University in Montréal spoke in English about "compressions".

Is there anywhere else in the anglosphere where that term would be used to talk about budget cuts?

Old 05-27-2024, 09:21 PM

1,327 posts, read 571,423 times
I could be entirely wrong about this but it seems that the Latim term "CV" Curriculum vitae is also more commonly used among French speaking people and also used by Anglos in Quebec. In the rest of Canada people usually just say resume. I have also heard people in Spanish use CV. Seems to me Anglos in Quebec picked this up from French speakers. Never heard anyone in Quebec say resume. I have heard CV used in other places but in a different way or only for specfic professions.

Old 05-27-2024, 11:29 PM

2,440 posts, read 903,135 times
Quote:
Actually, English speakers in Quebec do use French words all the time, like dépanneur, terrasse, subvention, autoroute, formation (instead of training), pochette, garderie, resto, stage (for internship), métro, echo (for ultrasound), etc.

They also use French turns of phrase like "I need to find a parking", "close the lights" or "pass the vacuum".

Note that there is also tons of franglais in European French. It's just that the terms are different from the ones used in Quebec.

Quebecers actually like to make fun of the anglicisms used in France, because they sound very illogical to them.
I lived in a small town in France for a year. It was my way of immersing myself in the language I remember they used to refer to "Le Week end" instead of using fin de semaine . I dont remember a lot of anglicisms used on radio or TV unless it was in reference to things like "Les Rolling stones" or "Les Beatles" or "top of the charts" which of course there was no French translation possible.

I just found it strange and somewhat amusing when listening to Quebec French spoken on the buses to and fro from work. Things like listening to two young women discussing their boyfriends, one of whom was very upset and after describing her problem with boyfriend in detail ended up referring to him as a "son of a *****" in English or one memorable headline in the Montreal Star "Cinque blesses dans un hold up a la Banque de Montreal"

There are probably others but it was a long time ago and memory dims unfortunately

I thought I read somewhere a few years after I left Quebec that the Provincial Government had started a program to eliminate as much as possible the usage of borrowed English in the language but I may be wrong on that.

Last edited by James Austen; 05-27-2024 at 11:40 PM..

Old 05-28-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
I could be entirely wrong about this but it seems that the Latim term "CV" Curriculum vitae is also more commonly used among French speaking people and also used by Anglos in Quebec. In the rest of Canada people usually just say resume. I have also heard people in Spanish use CV. Seems to me Anglos in Quebec picked this up from French speakers. Never heard anyone in Quebec say resume. I have heard CV used in other places but in a different way or only for specfic professions.
You're absolutely right. Everyone in Quebec uses "CV" regardless of language spoken. It also seeps into areas bordering Quebec so in Ottawa and the federal government it's more common (in English) to hear people say "CV" as opposed to "resumé".

I think "CV" disappears gradually (giving way to "resumé") as you move further away from the Quebec border in Ontario.

Old 05-28-2024, 07:20 AM

3,548 posts, read 2,895,390 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right. Everyone in Quebec uses "CV" regardless of language spoken. It also seeps into areas bordering Quebec so in Ottawa and the federal government it's more common (in English) to hear people say "CV" as opposed to "resumé".

I think "CV" disappears gradually (giving way to "resumé") as you move further away from the Quebec border in Ontario.
One French term being replaced by another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada