Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 07:52 PM

1,327 posts, read 569,567 times

Advertisements

Your Mom speaks Spanish? Cool.

My Mom was the only one I had to speak with for while as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2024, 09:42 PM

3,651 posts, read 3,455,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
When I lived in Toronto, there was not really much opportunity to interact with many Spanish speaking people, as I always try to keep my Spanish language skills as current as possible. I had to rely on speaking with my mother on the phone once a week exclusively in Spanish to keep it up.
There are Spanish speakers, but they are very hard to find, as you might guess. Back in the 1980s, my girlfriend was a Spanish girl (as in, from Spain), and I never knew how many Spanish speakers there were in Toronto until I met her.

Problem is, that they are not concentrated in any one area. We're all aware of Little Italy along College Street West, and Greektown on the Danforth, and India Bazaar, and the various Chinatowns; but there is no "Little Spain" or even "Little Mexico," or similar.

But when Girlfriend's sister got married, I found out just how many Spanish speakers there were, and it was a lot. Me, and the groom's friends and relatives, were the only people out of hundreds at the wedding who didn't speak Spanish. But the Spanish-speaking guests had all come from all across the GTA: all parts of Metro Toronto, of course, but also Mississauga, Pickering, York Region, and so on. Definitely not from one neighbourhood.

Trust me, Edward, they were there in Toronto. Just not very obvious.

Old 05-28-2024, 10:28 PM

I recently saw some one complain on another forum that there are too many Mexicans in the Jane & Finch area. This person claimed to be a long time resident and had a Guyanese flag in the thair avatar. I have only driven by there and have never spent any real time in that area so I can't comment on the Mexican or Latinos in that area. But the comment kind of surprised me as it was the first time I have read anything like that about Mexicans or any Latinos in Canada. I rarely ran into any when I lived in TO.

Old 05-29-2024, 05:13 AM

3,280 posts, read 2,741,037 times
Montreal has a thriving LatAm community that has been growing rapidly the past few years. The Plaza St. Hubert/Beaubien area is still the epicentre, but now other areas have seen strong growth. I know last time I was there, I would hear Spanish on a daily basis anywhere I went.

There's also been an explosion of LatAm events, festivals and restaurants to cater to the local community during and post covid

Old 05-29-2024, 08:40 AM

3,895 posts, read 5,323,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Your Mom speaks Spanish? Cool.

My Mom was the only one I had to speak with for while as a kid.
Yeah, all of my siblings and I speak Spanish to varying levels of proficiency. My older sister and I are probably the most fluent of the 4 of us. Our grandmother was from Panama as there is a heavy connection between Jamaica and Panama. So that is where the language came into play in our home and was passed down from our mother to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
There are Spanish speakers, but they are very hard to find, as you might guess. Back in the 1980s, my girlfriend was a Spanish girl (as in, from Spain), and I never knew how many Spanish speakers there were in Toronto until I met her.

Problem is, that they are not concentrated in any one area. We're all aware of Little Italy along College Street West, and Greektown on the Danforth, and India Bazaar, and the various Chinatowns; but there is no "Little Spain" or even "Little Mexico," or similar.

But when Girlfriend's sister got married, I found out just how many Spanish speakers there were, and it was a lot. Me, and the groom's friends and relatives, were the only people out of hundreds at the wedding who didn't speak Spanish. But the Spanish-speaking guests had all come from all across the GTA: all parts of Metro Toronto, of course, but also Mississauga, Pickering, York Region, and so on. Definitely not from one neighbourhood.

Trust me, Edward, they were there in Toronto. Just not very obvious.
Agreed. They definitely were there and there was a difference between when I lived in Toronto as a kid and when I returned for Uni later in life, as the community definitely grew. That said, it was not a language I heard on a daily basis, like I do in the US cities I have lived in.

Old 05-29-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, all of my siblings and I speak Spanish to varying levels of proficiency. My older sister and I are probably the most fluent of the 4 of us. Our grandmother was from Panama as there is a heavy connection between Jamaica and Panama. So that is where the language came into play in our home and was passed down from our mother to us.

Ah cool.

Believe it or not there are actually pockets of people with Jamaican ancestry in most central American countries. Not nearly as big as Panama but they're there.

Old 05-29-2024, 09:56 AM

26,924 posts, read 38,239,824 times
Quote:
Ah cool.

Believe it or not there are actually pockets of people with Jamaican ancestry in most central American countries. Not nearly as big as Panama but they're there.
Would the Bluefields region on the coast of Nicaragua be one of them?

Old 05-29-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Absolutely. I believe people still speak English there.

Last edited by Luisito80; 05-29-2024 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-30-2024, 05:51 AM

3,895 posts, read 5,323,850 times
Quote:
Ah cool.

Love the connection between Central America and Jamaica. I have extended family from Costa Rica as well. Some of my family also ended up in Colombia and Brasil.

Old 05-30-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Love the connection between Central America and Jamaica. I have extended family from Costa Rica as well. Some of my family also ended up in Colombia and Brasil.
Have you ever seen the Jamaica.com channel on youtube? They interview Jamaicans that live all over the world. Really interesting to hear their experiences. They are usually professionals or people that find love in another country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Speaking of Nicaragua. Do you remember "el presidente" Dennis martinez, former Nicaraguan pitcher of the Montreal Expos? Expos games were always full Latinos. I unfortunately never got to see Dennis Martinez play, but I have seen Expos games. There were always lot of latinos there, mostly Venezuelans and caribbean Latinos. It was sad when they left.

Last edited by Luisito80; 05-30-2024 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada