Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 12:09 PM

50 posts, read 22,188 times

Advertisements

As an American with Canadian relatives, I still find it shocking how low Canada's Hispanic population is: 1.5%, or some sources say it grew to 2-3%, but still, when I visited in mid-2010s, it was only 1-1.5%. My whole life in California half the people I know are Mexican and it still blows my mind very few move to Canada.

Some say it's too cold... ok, why does Chicago have such a big Hispanic population? And Detroit too, and Milwaukee? Too far? Why do so many Filipinos live in Toronto, who are so physically removed from said metropolis.

Some say it is because Mexicans have their anchor in the US and have little reason to go to other countries. Odds are, I've heard, and cannot confirm, that Mexicans and Latinos who move to Canada are either people who want something new and are most likely US-born, not Mexican or Latin American-born, and/or are probably wealthier compared to most Mexican and Hispanic immigrants in the US.

Surrey, BC seems to have a Hispanic population, and Leamington/Windsor, Ontario area, and parts of Toronto and Montreal too (prob. because French is a little more closer to Spanish than English, and Quebec/French culture seems sorta more aligned with Hispanic culture), and a few here and there on Vancouver Island and Edmonton, but not much else. My Edmonton friend said he has never met any Hispanics outside of barber shops and Mexican restaurants, but he isn't the most social, but still... wow!

But as for more rural provinces like Nova Scotia and Sask... my friends/acquaintances said they have never met any Mexicans... not joking. They may have met a Venezuelan in a class or something but that is just... wow. Canada is not even that far from MX.

Is it growing in CAN now? The community? Is the Mexican food good in some parts of CAN now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 12:14 PM

1,579 posts, read 898,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianContagion View Post
As an American with Canadian relatives, I still find it shocking how low Canada's Hispanic population is: 1.5%, or some sources say it grew to 2-3%, but still, when I visited in mid-2010s, it was only 1-1.5%. My whole life in California half the people I know are Mexican and it still blows my mind very few move to Canada.

Some say it's too cold... ok, why does Chicago have such a big Hispanic population? And Detroit too, and Milwaukee? Too far? Why do so many Filipinos live in Toronto, who are so physically removed from said metropolis.

Some say it is because Mexicans have their anchor in the US and have little reason to go to other countries. Odds are, I've heard, and cannot confirm, that Mexicans and Latinos who move to Canada are either people who want something new and are most likely US-born, not Mexican or Latin American-born, and/or are probably wealthier compared to most Mexican and Hispanic immigrants in the US.

Surrey, BC seems to have a Hispanic population, and Leamington/Windsor, Ontario area, and parts of Toronto and Montreal too (prob. because French is a little more closer to Spanish than English, and Quebec/French culture seems sorta more aligned with Hispanic culture), and a few here and there on Vancouver Island and Edmonton, but not much else. My Edmonton friend said he has never met any Hispanics outside of barber shops and Mexican restaurants, but he isn't the most social, but still... wow!

But as for more rural provinces like Nova Scotia and Sask... my friends/acquaintances said they have never met any Mexicans... not joking. They may have met a Venezuelan in a class or something but that is just... wow. Canada is not even that far from MX.

Is it growing in CAN now? The community? Is the Mexican food good in some parts of CAN now?
Maybe because Chicago, Milwaukee and Detroit (not not sure if their community is that big) are part of America, so its easier to migrate there from their traditional Southwest stronghold rather than move to Canada.

Old 05-10-2024, 01:22 PM
pdw

2,720 posts, read 3,133,799 times
A lot of Central and South American immigrants work in the agriculture and meatpacking industries. There’s nowhere where they’re a huge percentage of the population like in the States, but Leamington, Ontario has a fairly significant Mexican community that originated with many workers coming to work in fruit and vegetable farming. In the Prairies, Brooks, Alberta and Brandon, Manitoba have fairly significant communities from meat facilities that hire TFWs from all over the world as it’s a very difficult job with high turnover among Canadian born workers. The big cities here have some Latin Americans too but not as many. You’ll meet the odd Cuban or Venezuelan here and there but it’s a lot of individuals married to Canadian spouses or small families, at least around where I live.

Old 05-10-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Maybe because Chicago, Milwaukee and Detroit (not not sure if their community is that big) are part of America, so its easier to migrate there from their traditional Southwest stronghold rather than move to Canada.
Yeah that makes sense. But as question says... does Canada have a lot of Latinos now kinda or not really? It just blows my mind I've met a Hispanic Canadian who pronounced Jose as "Johse." Not HO-SAY, but Johse. She was Hispanic but grew up in an almost all white community in Ontario... it just blew my mind how removed from Latin culture she was.

Old 05-10-2024, 01:30 PM

1,314 posts, read 557,825 times
Short answer, no it doesnt. I am surprised it's even 1.5%. Are you sure that's correct???

The few Hispanics here are mostly refugees from Mexico, Colombia and El Salvdor.

Last edited by Luisito80; 05-10-2024 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-10-2024, 01:55 PM

836 posts, read 875,978 times
According to the last census, Latin Americans are 1.6% in Canada. More than that in some of the big cities, less than 1% in many others. Anyway it is a small number, especially when considering there are many more immigrants coming from places much further away from Canada than Latin America.

It’s worth to mention that a good portion of Latin Americans who come to Canada can go “unnoticed” if you don’t really talk to them and know where they come from. Judging only by the appearance some of them can even look like white Canadians, or europeans, maybe africans or asians. Very diverse population in Latin America. Only a few are closer to the “stereotypical Latin American”. Someone might cross with Latin Americans every day and don’t realize that.

Old 05-10-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
According to the last census, Latin Americans are 1.6% in Canada.
Is it that much now? wow, I'm impressed.

Quote:
Anyway it is a small number, especially when considering there are many more immigrants coming from places much further away from Canada than Latin America.
Exactly, specially considering Canada is in the same hemisphere as most Latin Americans.

Last edited by Luisito80; 05-10-2024 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-10-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
According to the last census, Latin Americans are 1.6% in Canada. More than that in some of the big cities, less than 1% in many others. Anyway it is a small number, especially when considering there are many more immigrants coming from places much further away from Canada than Latin America.

It’s worth to mention that a good portion of Latin Americans who come to Canada can go “unnoticed” if you don’t really talk to them and know where they come from. Judging only by the appearance some of them can even look like white Canadians, or europeans, maybe africans or asians. Very diverse population in Latin America. Only a few are closer to the “stereotypical Latin American”. Someone might cross with Latin Americans every day and don’t realize that.
It is actually 3% according to some estimates. An article says "the estimated, not actually confirmed as a figure, but estimated nonetheless, population of Latinos reached 1 million."

There are 40 something million people in Canada. So that would mean at least two and a half percent.

As to the guy saying "I'm surprised it's that high."

Srsly? Lol. That is still crazy low. I am surprised more people don't talk about how low Canada's Hispanic population is. When people talk about the differences between US and Canada, few bring up how one major difference is lack of Hispanic culture.

Mexican and Hispanic culture is so intertwined with American culture, esp. California and Texas' cultures, and it just blows my mind some Canadians never personally knew a Hispanic, or even met.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:49 PM
pdw

2,720 posts, read 3,133,799 times
“Hispanic” as an ethnic identity I think is different in the US than some of the countries where Hispanic people come from. I might be wrong, but it seems like it’s treated more like a race like being white or black there. I know it’s more complicated than that because all the countries in the Americas, English, Spanish, French or Portuguese speaking have a history of immigration from different parts of the world just like the US and Canada. Whether or not someone identifies as Hispanic when they immigrate here might depend on how connected people feel to their ancestors country of origin vs. the country in Latin America they lived in before they came to Canada. There’s a lot of Paraguayans in the Mennonite communities in Canada, for example, but Paraguay would be one of many stops their families made before finally settling in Canada. I don’t know if they would identify as “Hispanic” necessarily. That might explain the difference in percentages being cited here. A lot of people of Italian origin live in the big cities throughout Latin America, but they might check off “Italian” on their census form once them come here rather than Colombian or Venezuelan or wherever they were born.

Old 05-10-2024, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianContagion View Post
It is actually 3% according to some estimates. An article says "the estimated, not actually confirmed as a figure, but estimated nonetheless, population of Latinos reached 1 million."
That's doubtful. Even in Canadas big cities it is rare to hear Spanish or to see Latinos walking around.

This is what a New yorker on here said about their visit to Toronto, the nations biggest city last year...

Quote:
Also, very diverse like NYC, but in a different way. Saw lots more Asians (as a percent of the crowd) and less (by far from no) black people than I would in NY. Probably saw few if any Hispanic people. Did see a few Orthodox and Hasidic Jews, but nowhere near to the degree I would see them in NY, in fact saw more when I visited London and LA.
Even the Black population in Canada is susrprisingly big, the bulk having come in the last few decades. UNlike the US Canada has very few old Black communities and the few that do exist are very small. It's actually nothing short of a miracle canada Has as many Black folks as it does, which is a much bigger % than Latin Americans.

Quote:

As to the guy saying "I'm surprised it's that high."

Srsly? Lol. That is still crazy low. I am surprised more people don't talk about how low Canada's Hispanic population is.
Low compared to what you see in the US. Extremely high for Canadian stadards. Canada follows immigration standards more comparable to the UK or Australia. Our demographics overall are more similar to the UK and Australia than they are to the US. This is why when people try to make toronto/nyc (or any other canadian/american cities) comparisons it is ridiculous. Blacks and Hisapnics together make up more than half of NYC.

Last edited by Luisito80; 05-10-2024 at 04:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada