Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 04:11 PM

2,350 posts, read 1,432,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I was just going to say something similar. Many Muslims would refuse the offer due to your food not being Halal.
Muslims can eat meat that is kosher, but Jewish kashrut is even more strict. Both do not eat pork, yet I have Jewish friends who love Chinese cuisine. If this is not convincing, there news recently of Janet Yellen and Anthony Blinken patronising restaurants in China.

Found it. The steamed pork buns were in the menu
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/26/w...nken-food.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2024, 04:43 PM

1,368 posts, read 610,774 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
And many would not refuse. Muslims are like people of all religions, they fit along a spectrum of belief. Our kids went to a Pakistani wedding on the weekend and the families are secular.
Secular? SO they are not practicing Muslims? lol. If we are being honest most Muslims would refuse by far. Saying the contrary is not being honest.
Quote:
. The wedding was quite different in parts to a traditional Aussie one but they were married at home. The DIL of my friend, who is Afghan background, had their wedding was in a vineyard.
I had the Muslim (British Pakistani) friend of my kids one year for Christmas lunch. Not sure if he ate the ham (we had other choices) but he certainly enjoyed the wine and the festivities.

I would be surprised if immigrants in Canada are much different to ours in integration. Our immigration systems are both points based and our overall cultures quite similar
Things used to be like that in Canada but have taken some what of a change. Now that certain communities have gotten so massive, you see less and less of this type of interaction. The point based system is actually part of the problem in Canada.

Old 06-18-2024, 06:42 PM

22,596 posts, read 12,177,305 times
[quote=Luisito80;66844819]
Quote:

Secular? SO they are not practicing Muslims? lol. If we are being honest most Muslims would refuse by far. Saying the contrary is not being honest.

Things used to be like that in Canada but have taken some what of a change. Now that certain communities have gotten so massive, you see less and less of this type of interaction. The point based system is actually part of the problem in Canada.
Here in the US I've noticed something very disturbing regarding Pakistanis who immigrated legally and had children born here. When their girls hit their early teens, many of the parents get them engaged to total strangers in Pakistan.

One was a classmate of our daughter's. I would volunteer in the school and got to know one girl in our daughter's class who wanted to be called "Mary" instead of her given name. She loved to write. Even in the second grade when the class had to write stories, Mary would write long stories with lots of details. One day I told her that she wrote very well. She blushed and said "I like it when you tell me things like that." To which I told her I meant what I said. I also worked at the local library that was a few doors down from her family's halal store. She and a younger sister would go to work with the parents and often Mary would bring her sister to the library. We all felt sad that when it was time to close for the evening, Mary didn't want to leave.

When she got to middle school, one day when she was in the 7th grade, she came to school wearing an engagement ring. She told her classmates that she got engaged to a man in Pakistan that she never met. When the school year ended, the whole family left town and sold their Halal store. No doubt they moved to Pakistan and, once there, she and her older sister were forced into marriages. I often think of Mary and wonder what her life is like now.

Two other young Pakistani women who lived in our neighborhood had the same thing happen to them. One was sent to Pakistan right after she graduated high school. The other one was in her early 20s.

As for secular Muslims, they tend to have no problems interacting with non-Muslims. Also, they don't force their wives and daughters to cover up. Rather, they wear western clothing and like the men, are allowed to get good educations.

Old 06-18-2024, 06:46 PM

22,596 posts, read 12,177,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Muslims can eat meat that is kosher, but Jewish kashrut is even more strict. Both do not eat pork, yet I have Jewish friends who love Chinese cuisine. If this is not convincing, there news recently of Janet Yellen and Anthony Blinken patronising restaurants in China.

Found it. The steamed pork buns were in the menu
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/26/w...nken-food.html
My family had many Jewish friends when I was growing up. Most of them weren't kosher. My college roommate, who was Jewish and ended up being my maid of honor, wasn't kosher. I visited with her parents. While they did like good Jewish deli food, they had no problems eating pork.

Old 06-18-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
My family had many Jewish friends when I was growing up. Most of them weren't kosher. My college roommate, who was Jewish and ended up being my maid of honor, wasn't kosher. I visited with her parents. While they did like good Jewish deli food, they had no problems eating pork.
Same here. None of the Jewish people I knew growing up kept Kosher.

The Muslims I knew growing up, none of them ate pork. It's interesting my Muslim freinds would occasionaly drink and even smoke weed but they drew the line at eating pork. That was off limits. Just the suggestion of trying pork often made them angry, lol.

Old 06-18-2024, 07:36 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,618,065 times
[quote=Luisito80;66844819]
Quote:

Why do you think the points system is part of the problem? I would be interested to know.
Here there is a push to cut back on immigration because of the issues with housing, but people are not really concerned with where our immigrants are sourced. I think people are quite happy overall with our points system.

Many Muslims in many countries are only culturally Muslim, ditto Christians are often culturally Christian. When we were in Turkey the first thing our guide told us was the he was atheist. Told us not to bother covering our heads when going into mosques, which actually made some of the group a bit uneasy.

Old 06-18-2024, 07:45 PM

[quote][quote=MarisaAnna;66845242]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post

Why do you think the points system is part of the problem? I would be interested to know.
Here there is a push to cut back on immigration because of the issues with housing, but people are not really concerned with where our immigrants are sourced. I think people are quite happy overall with our points system.
Because the point system does't really address what professions we might need immigrants in. Sure it's great to have engineers but many of them end up driving taxi cabs. In the mean time we have a major shortage of certain jobs. ALso, Even if some people are highly educated they will still be denied based on where they are from. Some people are considered model minorities, some are not. I think you know this though.

The student programs is also massively abused.

Quote:
Many Muslims in many countries are only culturally Muslim, ditto Christians are often culturally Christian. When we were in Turkey the first thing our guide told us was the he was atheist. Told us not to s bother covering our heads when going into mosques, which actually made some of the group a bit uneasy.
Turkey is one of the more "moderate" Muslims countries. Lets see you pull that off elsewhere in the middle east.

Old 06-18-2024, 09:26 PM

2,350 posts, read 1,432,095 times
One has to show "proof of funds" when immigrating to Canada. During Harper's time, I read that it was 800 grand and above. I guess that it would be the same requirement for entering Australia. The only difference would be, there seems to be much less serious crimes committed by immigrants in Australian cities.

Just heard that one guy linked to mortgage fraud was shot dead in Toronto. Two days ago, a 28 year old man was shot dead in Surrey. There were even gun toting bandits threatening business operators for protection money.

Old 06-18-2024, 11:57 PM

3,679 posts, read 3,482,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I had the Muslim (British Pakistani) friend of my kids one year for Christmas lunch. Not sure if he ate the ham (we had other choices) but he certainly enjoyed the wine and the festivities.
Heh. We had a Muslim player on our office-league softball team years ago. He sure enjoyed a couple of beers after a game.

Come to think of it, so did the Mormon guy.

Old 06-19-2024, 07:34 AM

26,956 posts, read 38,354,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Same here. None of the Jewish people I knew growing up kept Kosher.

The Muslims I knew growing up, none of them ate pork. It's interesting my Muslim freinds would occasionaly drink and even smoke weed but they drew the line at eating pork. That was off limits. Just the suggestion of trying pork often made them angry, lol.
My kids have always had Muslim friends, and in fact the very best friend of one of my kids is Muslim. They are in their early 20s. Things are still exactly as you describe with all of the Muslim kids I've known: no pork but definitely the occasional drink of alcohol. I have no direct experience with weed as no one is allowed to smoke at our place, but from what my kids say there are Muslim kids who smoke up, including some who do so as a replacement for alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada