Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 11:13 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,718 times

Advertisements

How does one define assimilating well?
By moving into an exclusive white area?

Huron or Caixin, a while ago, published stats showing their best, brightest and wealthiest moved to Europe and Australia.
We do get quite a bit of odd fish seeming to assimilate well, preferring exclusive addresses for fear of being recognized and identified by their compatriots. Some even have a name change that sounds western and "white".
It takes years to assess people's characters. Basically, they are all the same. Some are good, some bad, irrespective of which regime they came from - 1987 Leiyu massacre is an example.

I am not convinced that new immigrants assimilate better today.
Thirty years ago, one could study the classified ads in the newspapers and bought one of the last few units from the developers directly at 20% to 30% discount. Because financing their remaining bank loans would eat more into the developers' profit margin.
There is just so much greed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2024, 06:22 AM

26,956 posts, read 38,379,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Yes, and Indonesians don’t necessarily have a lot in common with Turkish people.

It is normal in the first generation of immigrants in many countries for them to live near others of their background. My Italian in-laws were no different, they never considered themselves Australian. The next generation move out and it is more of a concern if they fail to integrate.
Correct. And this is the key future question for Canada, Australia and any western country really: will the kids born or raised here integrate with the broader local population like other immigrant groups did before them, or will they remain mostly siloed within their own communities intergenerationally?

Because today's world is quite different from the world of Italian or Greek immigrants to Australia a couple of generations ago.

Sure they may have had some critical mass in their own ethnic neighbourhoods but not nearly as much as, say, people of South Asian origin in Toronto or Vancouver today.

Other differences are modern communications which allow people to stay in touch instantaneously with people, news and culture from the old country.

And international travel opportunities have also increased greatly and become much cheaper. There is no South Asian community to speak of in my city, but we do have large Lebanese, North African and sub-Saharan African communities. The number of families who go back to the old country every summer with the kids is super high.

So much so that local schools here have had to crack down on families skipping the last few weeks of school in June. (People like to leave for the old country before "full summer" kicks in because airline tickets are cheaper.)

Old 06-20-2024, 09:02 AM

1,375 posts, read 620,017 times
Quote:
E=orbiter;66848577]How does one define assimilating well?
By moving into an exclusive white area?
Do all white areas even exist in cities today?

Quote:
Often there are threads started by East Indians asking where all the Indians live in a certain area. I've pointed out to them that their kids will be going to school with a diverse group of kids and need to get used to experiencing that. I tend to post this when the parents are saying things like. "I want to live with other Indians so my kids will have friends." It's rather ironic considering that if these people were still living in India, they wouldn't even consider friending certain Indians due to whatever sub group they belong to as they seem to dislike those who aren't from the same area
Indians are notorious for this. Here in Canada they even get away with putting "indians only" in rental ads. Imagine any other group doing this. It's crazy the way thigns are going, but Canadas "multicultural" policies encourage this type of behaviour and you can't call them out because YOU will get accused of racism.

I am in favor of a integration "meliting pot" come together policy. If everyone is pulling their own way, that is not good for a country. Integration is true inclusivity.

Last edited by Luisito80; 06-20-2024 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-20-2024, 06:21 PM

The model minorities that are so much better than everyone else...

Old 06-21-2024, 03:48 AM

2,425 posts, read 1,626,659 times
Maybe the Indians fit in more easily here as we are already cricket mad!

We have about twenty-five percent of the population in cross-cultural relationships but I struggle to find Canadian statistics.

Old 06-21-2024, 07:04 AM

Quote:

We have about twenty-five percent of the population in cross-cultural relationships but I struggle to find Canadian statistics.
Whether justified or not, while there have always been Canadians intolerant of South Asians, it's a fairly recent phenomenon to hear such widespread criticism and frustration with them not fitting in, and other behaviours they allegedly have.

When I was a kid in the 1980s and a young adult in the 1990s, there were already quite a few Indo-Canadians and the widely-held view was that they fit in just fine.

Old 06-21-2024, 08:50 AM

2,434 posts, read 1,636,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Whether justified or not, while there have always been Canadians intolerant of South Asians, it's a fairly recent phenomenon to hear such widespread criticism and frustration with them not fitting in, and other behaviours they allegedly have.

When I was a kid in the 1980s and a young adult in the 1990s, there were already quite a few Indo-Canadians and the widely-held view was that they fit in just fine.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...mily-1.7237278

Old 06-21-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:

In Canada Indians are the least likely to be in " cross-cultural" relationships". You can check Stats Canada.Indians are also known to put " Indians only" in their rental ads.

I never had an issue with Indians. It is they that seem to have an issue with everyone else.

No one cares about cricket here.

Old 06-21-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
In Canada Indians are the least likely to be in " cross-cultural" relationships". You can check Stats Canada.Indians are also known to put " Indians only" in their rental ads.

I never had an issue with Indians. It is they that seem to have an issue with everyone else.

No one cares about cricket here.
I guess my question is whether this is something they've always done and I just didn't know, or is it more recent and related to greater critical mass they now have and an increased confidence and boldness due to that.

Old 06-21-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I guess my question is whether this is something they've always done and I just didn't know, or is it more recent and related to greater critical mass they now have and an increased confidence and boldness due to that.

I think it's all of the above. My question is why is this crap tolerated? We had people on this forum defending them over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada