Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 09:43 AM

1,287 posts, read 540,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Immigrants can be construction laborers, that's how it was in the US in the 2000s. The majority of people on any construction site were immigrants from Mexico or Central America, and they were sure throwing up houses back then.

There must be something seriously screwed up with policy environment in Canada, that's the only reason this can be the case.
You're right there is something seriously screwed up. Not only is there a housing shortage, there is a major shortage of construction workers. This a is a problem that could have been avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 04:40 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,563,813 times
Economists sound alarm over impact of Canada population growth on housing market
Quote:
Statistics Canada labour force data show the country’s working-age population grew by 411,400 people in the first four months of 2024, a 47% increase over the same period in 2023 and nearly quadruple the average for those four months from 2007 to 2022.
Quote:
In Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, the growth is even higher. Toronto’s population increase from January to April was 67% higher in 2024 than in 2023. In Vancouver and Montreal, population growth this year was more than double last year’s.
Quote:
The bank’s projection sees the explosive growth in the first four months of 2024 tapering off as the year goes on, before the government’s measures to slow growth take hold.

Old 05-17-2024, 04:59 PM

2,356 posts, read 1,565,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I personally don't know of any young people needing a handout from their parents. Among my nieces and nephews, they lived with their parents while single and attending university. As single people it was convenient for them. But of those that married, all but one bought a house within a year or two of the marriage.

My single nephews who live in Winnipeg have not yet bought a house, nor do they have a partner they live with.
It is not something that most people here would be too open about. But $1.5 million buys you a pretty basic house in much of Sydney and that is a lot for many young families to be able to finance.

The “bank of mum and dad” Is almost a prerequisite for most, apparently 70% of first home buyers use it.

However there is also the factor, that like Canada, we have most of our immigrants coming from enmeshed cultures where it is traditional for families to work together financially. Especially the case for the Chinese, who are generally only children. Thus a couple will have four parents and often eight grandparents who may wish to help out.

Like Canada, a big proportion of our immigrants are highly skilled and highly educated, meaning they are often in a position to help the kids.

Old 05-17-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

Like Canada, a big proportion of our immigrants are highly skilled and highly educated, meaning they are often in a position to help the kids.
Yes the issue with that is we are brining immigrants that don't want to work in sectors they view "beneath" them. Despite Canada brining in record number of immigrants there are major shortages of workers in many sectors. Even worse we see shortages in sectors that directly effect the housing crisis.

Old 05-18-2024, 12:14 AM

2,356 posts, read 1,565,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Yes the issue with that is we are brining immigrants that don't want to work in sectors they view "beneath" them. Despite Canada brining in record number of immigrants there are major shortages of workers in many sectors. Even worse we see shortages in sectors that directly effect the housing crisis.
We have too many coming in to study business courses and not enough to study health and education courses. This week, with the release of our federal budget, they are looking at prioritising applicants for courses of real need. Making it easier for eg teachers and nurses to stay and get permanent residency.

Part of the issue here is that we have had so many natural disasters in the past four years that a lot of tradies are tied up in repairs, finding that insurance work is more lucrative than new builds.

If Canada manages to solve this whole issue I hope the info will be shared with us!

Old 05-18-2024, 09:19 AM
pdw

2,708 posts, read 3,122,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
We have too many coming in to study business courses and not enough to study health and education courses. This week, with the release of our federal budget, they are looking at prioritising applicants for courses of real need. Making it easier for eg teachers and nurses to stay and get permanent residency.

Part of the issue here is that we have had so many natural disasters in the past four years that a lot of tradies are tied up in repairs, finding that insurance work is more lucrative than new builds.

If Canada manages to solve this whole issue I hope the info will be shared with us!
The power of municipalities to restrict construction needs to be absolutely gutted. 65 year old complainers, the type of people who call bylaw officers on their neighbours for not bringing their recycling bins in immediately after it’s picked up, are easily able to show up to city council meetings, throw a fit and stop any kind of development from occurring. I read an article that in sheer numbers, not even just per capita, we’re building less homes in 2024 than we did in the early 70s. It’s absolutely beyond pathetic and feels like these NIMBY attitudes collectively have become a parasite feeding off the futures of the younger generation and condemning them to a life of poverty because of vain reasons like “a three storey apartment building will ruin the character of the neighbourhood”. This selfish attitude seems totally ubiquitous with people who follow municipal politics and unfortunately they just need the power they have to be taken away and put in the hands of people that want to help renters and young people have the future they deserve in this country.

Old 05-18-2024, 12:51 PM

7,323 posts, read 9,372,439 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The power of municipalities to restrict construction needs to be absolutely gutted. 65 year old complainers, the type of people who call bylaw officers on their neighbours for not bringing their recycling bins in immediately after it’s picked up, are easily able to show up to city council meetings, throw a fit and stop any kind of development from occurring. I read an article that in sheer numbers, not even just per capita, we’re building less homes in 2024 than we did in the early 70s. It’s absolutely beyond pathetic and feels like these NIMBY attitudes collectively have become a parasite feeding off the futures of the younger generation and condemning them to a life of poverty because of vain reasons like “a three storey apartment building will ruin the character of the neighbourhood”. This selfish attitude seems totally ubiquitous with people who follow municipal politics and unfortunately they just need the power they have to be taken away and put in the hands of people that want to help renters and young people have the future they deserve in this country.

Ummm. I wonder where you have these ideas from? Are there statistics of unemployed immigrants? I know of a young woman who bikes 10 miles back and forth to an employment course. Then I know of stories similar to the Africans who arrived from TO who wanted to, and maybe did, walk a 30 minute highway drive to apply for a physical labour job.

Then a friend stopped by after her shift at the hospital who was elated to receive a call offering her an overtime shift "because I need the money." She had never needed money before but her shiftless 20 something Canadian-born grandchildren with their baby mamas and baby daddies have all been living with her and sucking her dry because they have no vehicle and even though they have nothing beyond a high school graduation think they should have a starting wage of not less than $25 an hour!

Old 05-18-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Ummm. I wonder where you have these ideas from? Are there statistics of unemployed immigrants? I know of a young woman who bikes 10 miles back and forth to an employment course. Then I know of stories similar to the Africans who arrived from TO who wanted to, and maybe did, walk a 30 minute highway drive to apply for a physical labour job.

Then a friend stopped by after her shift at the hospital who was elated to receive a call offering her an overtime shift "because I need the money." She had never needed money before but her shiftless 20 something Canadian-born grandchildren with their baby mamas and baby daddies have all been living with her and sucking her dry because they have no vehicle and even though they have nothing beyond a high school graduation think they should have a starting wage of not less than $25 an hour!
i never said anything about unemployed immigrants. I was talking about shortage of workers. You really like to read into things the wrong way don't you?

It is a fact we have a shortage of construction workers in Canada.
Quote:
Solving shortage of construction workers key to housing growth: experts

Solving a longstanding construction worker shortage will be key to boosting housing supply, experts say, as Canada's national housing agency continues to forecast housing start levels that fall short of growing demand.

The growing construction labour shortage was cited by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. as one of three factors contributing to longer construction times in a housing supply reportlast month.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/solv...erts-1.6852062

Old 05-18-2024, 02:47 PM

7,323 posts, read 9,372,439 times
Quote:
i never said anything about unemployed immigrants. I was talking about shortage of workers. You really like to read into things the wrong way don't you?

It is a fact we have a shortage of construction workers in Canada.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/solv...erts-1.6852062
I know that. I have a brother in construction. You said we were bringing in immigrants who don't want to work in sectors "beneath them " and tied that directly to immigration in Canada.

I have nothing against Canada bringing in construction workers but the complaints about immigrants as it stands never tell entitled Canadians to get a job in construction. All I hear are complaints about housing. Sounds like an opportunity for some Canadians to quit complaining and get to work.

Old 05-18-2024, 02:55 PM
pdw

2,708 posts, read 3,122,957 times
Quote:
I know that. I have a brother in construction. You said we were bringing in immigrants who don't want to work in sectors "beneath them " and tied that directly to immigration in Canada.

I have nothing against Canada bringing in construction workers but the complaints about immigrants as it stands never tell entitled Canadians to get a job in construction. All I hear are complaints about housing. Sounds like an opportunity for some Canadians to quit complaining and get to work.
What about a sort of partnership plan where job retention is incentivized by affordable housing being provided to construction workers on a rent-to-own type plan? If you can get into a good union (which you’ll need for the medical benefits after decades of backbreaking work takes its toll in your body) construction can be a fulfilling job. Unfortunately the type of benefits provided aren’t that enticing necessarily to young people considering how tough the job is. From the people I know who do it, a lot of framers are working 65 hour weeks in brutally cold weather and their employers are able to jump through hoops not to pay them time and a half for overtime, (you get to be an “independent contractor” like an Uber driver) and even basic things like dental plans can take a lot of searching for a job that provides it. In a shortage of workers like this, employers should be sweetening the deal a bit. Maybe actually having a chance to buy one of the hundreds of houses you’ll be helping to build over the years will make people more motivated to get into the field. I think if the government works with big developers to set something like this up, the worker shortage will change overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada