Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 04:48 PM

1,312 posts, read 557,825 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of talk about this. I hope it becomes a reality someday. These sort of projects are needed specially with the population growth some areas are experiencing.

Quote:
OTTAWA — The Canadian government’s slow-moving process of developing its proposed High-Frequency Rail passenger route between Toronto and Quebec City is taking its next step.

Transport Minister Pablo Rodriguez announced Friday the start of the Request for Proposals process for the rail project, with a deadline announced only as “summer 2024.” Those proposals will come from three consortia previously selected during the Request for Qualifications phase [see “Timeline for Canada’s high-frequency rail corridor grows longer,” Trains News Wire, July 21, 2023]. At the time the three groups were selected, Transport Canada had said the Request for Proposals would launch in September.
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-revi...roposal-phase/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2024, 02:12 AM

3,645 posts, read 3,448,819 times
Well, first I note that the linked item refers to "high frequency rail," not high speed rail. Certainly, not like Japan's bullet trains, or France's TGVs. I'm taking that to mean frequency of service. For example, departures on the hour, every hour, 12 hours a day.

That being said, I can see how a Via train running on dedicated tracks, as described, would be considered "high speed" by Canadian standards. Build it right, and there would be no level crossings, no freights that get priority, nothing to get in the way of a passenger train running between cities at the highest speed that it can run.

But. The Windsor-Quebec Corridor is already well-served by Via. Do we really need another Windsor-Quebec route? How does Via serve Canadians who don't live in southern Ontario and Quebec?

Simple answer: It doesn't. In my opinion, Via would do well to look west. There has been talk for years of a line connecting Calgary to Edmonton via Red Deer; and eventually, including Fort MacMurray and Lethbridge. Similarly, a line from Vancouver through Kelowna, Cranbrooke, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Swift Current, and on to Regina, and eventually, Winnipeg. The tracks are in place already; no need to build more.

There is a dearth of intercity options here in the west. There are basically only three: air (expensive), bus (slow and subject to traffic and winter highway closings), and your own car (ditto). Trains are needed here. Trains following an existing route, just a little more north, are not needed in Ontario.

Old 05-23-2024, 07:10 AM

26,910 posts, read 38,213,861 times
The Quebec-Windsor corridor is not really well-served by VIA, by anyone's standards.

But yes passenger rail service and intercity land transportation in the rest of the country is even worse.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:16 PM

33,605 posts, read 37,256,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
There has been a lot of talk about this. I hope it becomes a reality someday. These sort of projects are needed specially with the population growth some areas are experiencing.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-revi...roposal-phase/
A Canadian company has unveiled plans for a fully electric train-style vehicle which could travel at 1,000 kilometers per hour and, it claims, would cost less than a plane ticket to travel on. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/f...%20travel%20on.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:19 PM

1,312 posts, read 557,825 times
Yeah that project in Alberta is quite interesting. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. I will definitely take a trip out there when/if it's completed.

Last edited by Luisito80; 05-23-2024 at 10:29 PM..

Old 05-24-2024, 01:30 AM

3,645 posts, read 3,448,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Quebec-Windsor corridor is not really well-served by VIA, by anyone's standards.

But yes passenger rail service and intercity land transportation in the rest of the country is even worse.
Yes, and I don't think many in central Canada know just how starved we in the west are for intercity public transportation.

As mentioned, there is very little train service. If you want to go from Winnipeg to Edmonton, you're in luck. Well, three departures a week, anyway. Hardly the six daily departures from Toronto to Montreal.

Greyhound buses have shut down service in western Canada. There are Red Arrow buses servicing Alberta from Lethbridge to Fort MacMurray, via Calgary and Edmonton; but they go nowhere else, and have a lot of stops in between--there is little to no express service. A two-hour car trip from Lethbridge to Calgary becomes a 3-hour to 4-hour trip on the Red Arrow. In good traffic.

Air Canada has shut down service to a lot of smaller places. No more Air Canada to places like Lethbridge and Medicine Hat. Westjet has filled in, but it is cutting back service in the fall to one flight a day. Call me crazy, but I thought Air Canada was supposed to serve Canadians who wanted to get around their country, not just those who lived in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, or Vancouver, among other major centres; and/or who didn't necessarily want to go to Sydney, Australia or London, England. Air Canada can get you to those places no problem, but it cannot get you to smaller Canadian destinations.

Central Canadians complain about how western Canadians rely on their cars so much when they should be using public transportation. Well, yeah, we use our cars. We have few to no other reasonable choices.

Old 05-24-2024, 07:50 AM

3,532 posts, read 2,875,423 times
How would a high-speed railroad be constructed through the Rockies?

Old 05-24-2024, 07:54 AM

26,910 posts, read 38,213,861 times
They cross mountain ranges like the Alps in Europe, and in Japan as well.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:16 AM
pdw

2,720 posts, read 3,133,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Yes, and I don't think many in central Canada know just how starved we in the west are for intercity public transportation.

As mentioned, there is very little train service. If you want to go from Winnipeg to Edmonton, you're in luck. Well, three departures a week, anyway. Hardly the six daily departures from Toronto to Montreal.

Greyhound buses have shut down service in western Canada. There are Red Arrow buses servicing Alberta from Lethbridge to Fort MacMurray, via Calgary and Edmonton; but they go nowhere else, and have a lot of stops in between--there is little to no express service. A two-hour car trip from Lethbridge to Calgary becomes a 3-hour to 4-hour trip on the Red Arrow. In good traffic.

Air Canada has shut down service to a lot of smaller places. No more Air Canada to places like Lethbridge and Medicine Hat. Westjet has filled in, but it is cutting back service in the fall to one flight a day. Call me crazy, but I thought Air Canada was supposed to serve Canadians who wanted to get around their country, not just those who lived in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, or Vancouver, among other major centres; and/or who didn't necessarily want to go to Sydney, Australia or London, England. Air Canada can get you to those places no problem, but it cannot get you to smaller Canadian destinations.

Central Canadians complain about how western Canadians rely on their cars so much when they should be using public transportation. Well, yeah, we use our cars. We have few to no other reasonable choices.
Didn’t Mulroney lead the federal government through a massive dismantling of rail access all over the country to appease big donors from the trucking companies? Pierre Trudeau’s National Energy Plan doesn’t feel like much of a big deal anymore. Crazy that you need to make posts on Facebook or social media offering money for rides if you need to go from town to town if you live outside the major cities in Western Canada and you don’t have a car.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:24 AM

3,532 posts, read 2,875,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They cross mountain ranges like the Alps in Europe, and in Japan as well.
But would Canadian environmentalists allow multiple tunnels of several kilometers in length drilled through the mountains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada