Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 09:05 AM

3,582 posts, read 2,951,091 times

Advertisements

So the American heatwave has illegally crossed the border into Canada.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...cord-1.7239371
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2024, 09:08 AM

1,372 posts, read 613,477 times
Not here on the prairies. Mornings are still quite cool. No real high tempratures yet.

Old 06-20-2024, 09:21 AM

26,956 posts, read 38,360,188 times
It's been around 32-35C where I live for a few days so approaching the mid-90s F. With the humidex it's in the mid-40s though. Basically it feels like being in a sauna all the time, and if there is any wind it feels like a hair dryer blowing in your face.

I typically go on a bike ride midday but these days I've been going at 6 am when it's a bit cooler.

My swimming pool has a heater but I don't need to use it as even without it the water is almost too warm.

Note than this isn't unheard of for us as it happens a couple of times a summer most years. But it's quite early for it to occur. Usually we get this in July or August.

For people who think we're getting excited over nothing, here is the current heat index map for the US.

We're across the border from the NE US, and as you can see it feels as hot or hotter in the NE than in most of the Deep South.

https://www.weathercentral.com/weath...aps/heat-index

Old 06-20-2024, 09:28 AM

35,571 posts, read 17,483,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
So the American heatwave has illegally crossed the border into Canada.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...cord-1.7239371
Do border control people have the legal authority to stop a heat- or cold- wave?

Old 06-20-2024, 06:08 PM

3,998 posts, read 5,848,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Do border control people have the legal authority to stop a heat- or cold- wave?
Interestingly enough, once I saw a weather documentary that mentioned about some program the US was researching to attempt to control the weather and possibly blow hurricanes off course for instance but abandoned the program after neighboring countries (presumably Mexico but perhaps also Canada) complained that it would adversely affect their weather. Weather modification used in warfare is actually an international crime according to the U.N. but I do not know what legal consequences there can be if weather modification during peacetime affects the weather of our next door neighbors.

Old Today, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Interestingly enough, once I saw a weather documentary that mentioned about some program the US was researching to attempt to control the weather and possibly blow hurricanes off course for instance but abandoned the program after neighboring countries (presumably Mexico but perhaps also Canada) complained that it would adversely affect their weather. Weather modification used in warfare is actually an international crime according to the U.N. but I do not know what legal consequences there can be if weather modification during peacetime affects the weather of our next door neighbors.
I read an article in, I think, a May or June 1972 NY Times about U.S. attempts to change Vietnam weather. Trouble with the "war crimes" idea is that the U.S. rarely makes its military available for prosecution by other tribunals or countries.

Old Today, 06:40 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,619,813 times
Interesting, we are having the coldest start to winter here for decades.
This may not be Canadian cold, but it was 6 degrees Celsius the other morning.

Old Today, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Interesting, we are having the coldest start to winter here for decades.
This may not be Canadian cold, but it was 6 degrees Celsius the other morning.
Is that a La Niña phenomena?

Old Today, 03:53 PM

62,415 posts, read 88,398,065 times
Weather modifications has been done for years by many countries. Usually seeding the clouds, dealing with rain, snow, and hail (with mixed results).

Old Today, 04:30 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,619,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Is that a La Niña phenomena?
No, but it is thought La Niña may return later this year.
The climate in Australia has always been unpredictable. Here in Sydney we have just had six wet weekends in a row, with the weeks being mostly fine. Cancelled sport, ruined outdoor events and so on and we wake up to sunnny (though cold) Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada