Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:14 PM

250 posts, read 642,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
The universities are probably more affordable because there not as good...no offense, but I'm just saying many Canadian students come to America because of the much larger and wider choices for them.
The cost of university tuition is almost never related to the quality of education provided.

Canadian students come to America for a variety of reasons. The most common reasons tend to be:

1)The US has a handful of Universities that are truly world class. A degree from one of these institutions will be recognized worldwide. Your University of Chicago example probably fits here. Canada has great schools, but we don't have a Harvard. Name recognition matters.
2) The student wants to immigrate to the US. Many American employers are clueless about Canadian schools and a Canadian immigrant would likely have better employment prospects if he or she attended an American school.
3) Sports. American schools offer better training, better scholarships, and a higher level of competition than Canadian schools.
4) They can't get into their selected program in Canada. Education programs, for example are quite competitive in Canada, but relatively easy to get into in the States. I have also met some students who attend an American Med School after getting shut out in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
4) They can't get into their selected program in Canada. Education programs, for example are quite competitive in Canada, but relatively easy to get into in the States. I have also met some students who attend an American Med School after getting shut out in Canada.

Yup, that reason why I went to Grad school in the US. I couldn't get into Grad school in Canada.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:20 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
The universities are probably more affordable because there not as good...no offense, but I'm just saying many Canadian students come to America because of the much larger and wider choices for them.
They're more affordable because tuition at all universities is subsidized by governments, not because of their quality. America has a higher range of quality, some really terrible universities and some extremely good ones. Canada doesn't have universities that are as terrible as the worst US schools nor are our best schools as elite and world class as the top US schools like the Ivy League.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
The cost of university tuition is almost never related to the quality of education provided.

Canadian students come to America for a variety of reasons. The most common reasons tend to be:

1)The US has a handful of Universities that are truly world class. A degree from one of these institutions will be recognized worldwide. Your University of Chicago example probably fits here. Canada has great schools, but we don't have a Harvard. Name recognition matters.
2) The student wants to immigrate to the US. Many American employers are clueless about Canadian schools and a Canadian immigrant would likely have better employment prospects if he or she attended an American school.
3) Sports. American schools offer better training, better scholarships, and a higher level of competition than Canadian schools.
I fail to see what tossing a ball around has to do with higher education. Wasn't there some brouhaha over some sports scholarship recipients barely being able to read and write?

Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
I was at the beach the other day and met someone from the U.S. who was going to UBC. I asked why UBC. His answer quality , but more importantly costs. It was just too expensive to go to school for him in the U.S.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 PM

103 posts, read 169,698 times
As for better training the thing is Ncaa teams have limits on how many practices they can hold how many times they can travel to Canada/Europe to play pre season games there really are not those limits for Cis teams.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I fail to see what tossing a ball around has to do with higher education. Wasn't there some brouhaha over some sports scholarship recipients barely being able to read and write?
I don't think sports has much to do with education except in the US (correct me if I'm wrong). My niece plays some kind of sport (I know, bad aunt - can't remember what it is now) and was offered a sports scholarship to a US college which her mother wants her to take for the sake of the scholarship. I don't follow her reasoning entirely since she is a top student and there would surely be academic scholarships available to her. In any event, said niece has no desire to go to the US.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,403 times
I grew up in Canada and went to school in West Vancouver, Canada.I felt I received a very good education.I now live in the US and my children have attended High school in Washington State. If academic rigor is your main goal you can find it in public schools in the US. Do your research and it is not hard to find the academically top ranked schools. The US public schools districts often offer Highly Capable programs for which kids are tested for in the 1st or second grade.Two of our four children, did the Highly Capable program from third to 8th grade. These programs offer both enrichment and academic rigor,should your child test into one.

Canada does not offer such programs that I am aware of.I do agree that the quality of education seems to be more consistent in Canada , regardless of socioeconomic conditions. My friends with children in British Columbia, Canada tend to be very satisfied with the public education. There is much less focus on taking AP classes, in part because they have Provincial Exams at the end of 12 grade to measure both student and school proficiency. I do worry about the amount of stress and the competitiveness placed on our kids in the US. It all seems a lot less stressful in Canada with good college outcomes for the kids. There is not the huge push for the IVY and few top Public University. The holistic method for reviewing college applicants, although a good idea in many regards, has also put a lot more pressure on American High School students.

Canadian High Schools also use percentages to grade rather than letter grades,which is more accurate. Yes, Canadian Schools use text books.Evan in Canada it is wise to choose your High school, and then live within the boundary's of the school you would like your child to attend. My 21 year old son attended a fairy (#18 in State) highly ranked and rigorous American High School and is now very happily studying Computer Science at Cal Berkeley. My girlfriends 2 daughters attended a good public High School in British Columbia, Canada and are very happy 1st and 4th year students at University of British Columbia. I am not sure this helps but it is my personal observations based on my US experience and frequent conversations with my Canadian friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada