Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:43 PM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Thanks stotan88. That was more along the lines I was getting at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 AM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Default Any other cities?

Is that the only one?

Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Yes. We send all the undesirables to London, EOA. The entire rest of the country is perfect.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times
from my experiences in Canada, the only really 'rough' neighborhood that stands out is the Eastside of Downtown Vancouver. It's several blocks of unsavory characters walking aimlessly around grafitti-covered buildings & walls. However, "rough" in Canada is not on par with whatever may fall into being "rough" in the US, if that's where you're from/ what you're used to. Canadian cities really do not have the dipilidated, violent-crime ridden ghettos that circle most U.S. cities. Infact, I was surprised how many people (particularly ladies) in Canada's biggest cities (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal) were walking on the city streets seemingly without any concern at various times of the day. Many U.S. cities (their downtowns included) are ghost-towns after 6pm for various reasons, fear of crime being one salient force. Even many small towns in the rural US South have a shocking rough edge or at least can evoke a sense of discomfort, that is not evident elsewhere (Canada).

Old 06-27-2008, 03:40 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
OK, then what about cities like:Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Windsor, Quebec City, St. John, NB, Saskatoon, Regina, Ottawa and the 3 cities I named previously.
As far as Winnipeg goes, I would say most neighborhoods directly outside of Downtown, the West End, the North End, and parts of Elmwood.

Elmwood isn't really bad, but it is pretty rough in the sense that if you grow up in the neighborhood, you're going have to do a lot of fighting through your school years. Also, several biker clubhouses are in the area as well.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:28 AM

315 posts, read 1,624,801 times
In Calgary, a disproportionate amount of violent and property crime is located in the Victoria Park/East Village section of downtown and in the northeast quadrant of the city. With that said, violent crime can and does happen anywhere. Here is a map of 2008 homocides in Calgary...

CBC News In Depth: Calgary Homicides in 2008 (http://www.cbc.ca/calgary/features/homicide2008/ - broken link)

Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 34,148 times
I'm from Ontario and the closest rough area is probably Malvern. Shootings are becoming shockingly regular there at all times of day. It's really weird because 10 minutes east of Malvern is Pickering, which has petty crime at the most although there have been some shootings here and there.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:44 AM

39 posts, read 288,002 times
In Edmonton, the "roughest" is probably just east and northeast of the downtown..so Boyle, MacAuley, some parts of Alberta Avenue, Fort Rd. They're rough in the sense that there is definitely more crime, but what's really noticible is the drunks passed out all over the place, sometimes you see people shooting up (needles not bullets) in the doorways of buildings and the occassional fist-fight between drunks. Edmonton's homeless population is booming though along with the oil boom. Housing prices (and food and retail prices) are out of the range of a large proportion of even the working population, so it is inevitable that a lot of people come here with dreams of work and end up on the streets.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:20 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
from my experiences in Canada, the only really 'rough' neighborhood that stands out is the Eastside of Downtown Vancouver. It's several blocks of unsavory characters walking aimlessly around grafitti-covered buildings & walls. However, "rough" in Canada is not on par with whatever may fall into being "rough" in the US, if that's where you're from/ what you're used to. Canadian cities really do not have the dipilidated, violent-crime ridden ghettos that circle most U.S. cities. Infact, I was surprised how many people (particularly ladies) in Canada's biggest cities (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal) were walking on the city streets seemingly without any concern at various times of the day. Many U.S. cities (their downtowns included) are ghost-towns after 6pm for various reasons, fear of crime being one salient force. Even many small towns in the rural US South have a shocking rough edge or at least can evoke a sense of discomfort, that is not evident elsewhere (Canada).

I agree with Robynator and f1000. Although I can only speak of experience in Vancouver.

Although we have some unsavoury neighbourhoods, and wouldn't like to be walking around some of them nightly, have always thought if I had a flat tire or breakdown somewhere, it wouldn't be likely that it would be life-threatening.

Unless it was at the wrong place at the wrong time, but that can happen anywhere.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,258 times
Jane and Finch is not bad at all. At night theres no doubt ur guna get questioned walkin der but go to jungle any day any time and your guarrented to get questioned beat up den robbed. Regent Park is also like that and im not sure bout nun on da eastend all i no is bout da westend n dats where im stayin.. "rough" neighbourhoods in toronto dont look rough only some of them do.. ive been to the USA a lot of cities and have seen rough areas and the crime is the same as in 2 or 3 neighbourhoods in toronto. Vaughn Road is rough too lots of shootings been goin on der lately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada