Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 AM

22 posts, read 84,567 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth Toronto (and Ontario) has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 02:29 PM

138 posts, read 360,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDOT416 View Post
Jane and Finch is not bad at all. At night theres no doubt ur guna get questioned walkin der but go to jungle any day any time and your guarrented to get questioned beat up den robbed. Regent Park is also like that and im not sure bout nun on da eastend all i no is bout da westend n dats where im stayin.. "rough" neighbourhoods in toronto dont look rough only some of them do.. ive been to the USA a lot of cities and have seen rough areas and the crime is the same as in 2 or 3 neighbourhoods in toronto. Vaughn Road is rough too lots of shootings been goin on der lately
eyyyy vaughn rd dunkno

Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
This is off-topic, but Sydney, Nova Scotia is said to have the most poisonous environment in all Canada, because of the city's industry.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
I'm sure Hamilton's isn't any better.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:08 PM

68 posts, read 217,274 times
There are many rough areas in Canada. I am from Vancouver and I will begin listing the "rough areas" of Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.
-Downtown Eastide: homeless, poor people, drug addiction, infection, prostitution and high crime rate(not violent)
Don't walk down Hastings at night, try to avoid it at any time. Driving past is safe, but be aware of drug addicts J-Walking.
-Granville Street Downtown: drugs, prostitution and some homelss (however not too dangerous until the bars close at aroung 3 or 4 am.
-Anything north of 1st Ave, east of Cambie, West of Nanaimo and south of the Burrard Inlet: poor people, drugs, prostitution. Commercial drive is a busy area where many are walking around, but it is one of the worst areas in Vancouver.
-Middlegate/Edmonds, Burnaby: Don't let the modern condos fool you, this isn't a really violent area, but I wouldn't leave anything visible in your car, even a few cents. There are prostitutes, poor people and some drugs, a few projects around.
-Blue Mountain, Coquitlam: Theft a bit higher than the rest of the city, a bit poorer than the area around it, but not much worse than the rest of Vancouver.
-Whalley/Newton, Surrey: Despite what others on this forum said, Surrey is rough. Once every few days the top story on the news will be something is this area. Drugs, crime, violence, prostitution, poor people, gangs. There are a few condos around skytrain stations, but it is still a rough area. It is safe to drive through, but I wouldn't walk on King George Boulevard at night in this neighbourhood. The residential areas aren't very safe either. Although, most of the crime is gang to gang. But you could still be affected.
-Western Abbotsford/Clearbrook: This is not too dangerous, it is mostly middle class families, but there are gangs here. Abbotsford has been getting a lot safer, but it is still not perfect.

Actually, a lot of cities in BC are pretty dangerous compared to other parts of Canada. Prince George had the most crime in Canada for 2011. Downtown Kelowna is rough at night. I am not sure where, but parts of Kamloops are bad.
I am sure there are some parts of Victoria that aren't great.
But, just to recap, the only places to avoid walking through are Whalley/Newton and the Downtown Eastside.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM

16 posts, read 27,360 times
In Victoria, BC:

-Pandora Avenue is notarious, especially the area between Quadra and Cook St. (infested with homeless people who will approach you). I actually avoid walking along there except if it's east of Douglas, and even at night I still avoid that street altogether.

-Douglas St. between Fort and Pandora.

-Rock Bay. The industrial area just before Gorge Road. Has a homeless shelter. It's actually scary walking through there during broad daylight! Might be the new Pandora.

-The Gorge Road East area

-the Burnside Road area

-Esquimalt except for the area north of the military base (actually has some gorgeous homes along the Gorge).

-Hillside area (between Blanshard, Bay, Cook Street, and Hillside Rd.)

-the Harris Green community. Fortunately it's going through some gentrification.

-add the adjacent communities North Park and Fernwood. Still rough but more liveable.

And surprisingly Fairfield and the southern portion of Rockland. There are frequent occurences of petty crime including break ins. Perhaps it's because of the close proximity to downtown. When I lived in a character home in Rockland, it seemed that my car was often a target of being scratched and broken into. And one would think that when I lived in James Bay, it would be even worse for my car since it's a less upscale neighborhood, yet it was left alone as far as I know. James Bay is also close to downtown, but I guess Fairfield and Rockland are easier targets since they are not separated by the touristy Inner Harbour, the hotels, and the massive Legislative building, which I guess act as barriers.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Jane and Finch.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:49 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,042,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googiespage View Post
Downtown Kelowna is rough at night. I am not sure where, but parts of Kamloops are bad.
No and no. You'll only find problems here if you go looking for them. In my 25 years of living in Kamloops, I have never once felt the least bit unsafe and I spent four years working in the "worst" part of town, which included late night shifts till 1 or 2 in the morning. Downtown Kelowna isn't the least bit rough. I think you should visit these places before you make generalized judgments.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM

68 posts, read 217,274 times
Well, people say "Canada has no ghetto" but, in fact Canada has many ghettos. Just because our murder rate is lower than the USA's doesn't mean we don't have ghettos. Here are some of the ghettos:

Downtown Eastside- Vancouver. Whalley- Surrey- Metro Vancouver. Downtown Kelowna is bad at night due to alcohol and drugs. The east part of downtown Calgary. I think, Chinatown in Edmonton. I don't know the name of the neighbourhood, but around the football stadium in Regina. I am not sure about Saskatoon. North End in Winnipeg. Toronto Has: Jane&Finch, Rexdale, Parkdale, Moss Park, Regent Park and the suburb of Scarborough and parts of Mississauga. I think in Ottawa, its somewhere south of downtown. Montreal's ghetto is southwest of downtown. North End in Halifax.

Sorry, some of these areas I do not know the names. Those were the bad ghettos, but even towns of only 50,000 people can have ghettos. Every part of Vancouver has high car break in rates. Metro Vancouver was said to be the worst place in North America for car break ins. That is because Vancouver has many drug addicts and they will break into a car for the smallest amount of money. Most of Canada's ghettos don't have much violent crime, and what they do have are gang related. If you mind your own business and don't get involved, you SHOULD be fine walking through these areas. I wouldn't walk through the Downtown Eastside at night, however.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
LOL googiespage, you lost credibility when you said all of Scarborough and parts of Mississauga are ghettos. Even Jane & Finch doesn't qualify as a ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada