Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:07 AM

62 posts, read 336,650 times

Advertisements

I am planning to immigrate to Canada. I have a 1 year study and 1 year work experience in Toronto.

I am not in Canada at the moment. Can I apply to Buffalo for immigration?

How much time will it generally take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:02 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz05 View Post
I am planning to immigrate to Canada. I have a 1 year study and 1 year work experience in Toronto.

I am not in Canada at the moment. Can I apply to Buffalo for immigration?

How much time will it generally take?
The best info will come directly from someone at Citizenship and Immigration Canada...

Immigrating to Canada

Old 06-27-2008, 02:07 AM

I did browse through that website but wasnt able to find the specific reply. Hence the reason for me posting here.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:20 AM

Will you qualify to apply as a skiller worker? Do you have employment arranged? Are you a US citizen?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:38 AM

Yes I do qualify as a Skilled worker. I have a bachelors in Business Administration and PG Diploma in Business Marketing from Toronto. totalling 16 years of education.

I have a 1 year work experience in Toronto and a total work ex of about 4 years (3+) in managerial level.

I score about 72 on the test.

I dont have arranged employment and I am not a US citizen ( I do have B1/B2 visa)

If I apply to Buffalo, I have heard it is faster and efficient. Also all my updates in student visa, work visa, Permits, extensions etc were carried out at Buffalo.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:36 AM

39 posts, read 288,006 times
When I sponsored my partner for immigration to Cda, we lived in the US and applied through Buffalo...not sure if it's the same if you're living elsewhere. The process took about 18 months from start to finish and at that time (about 4 years ago), cost us $1500.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 PM

Were you a Canadian PR at the time?

Was your partner sponsored as a Skilled worker?

Old 06-28-2008, 08:10 AM

For Perm Residency, it can take up to a couple years. However, if you have arranged employment, you may be able to apply through the PNP program. That route can take as little as a year from start to finish. The PNP route may even take a couple of months less than a year if the employer already has a positive Labour Market Opinion.

Immigrating to Canada: Provincial nominees

As far as the right office to apply through, check with CIC directly. They can tell you where to send all the paperwork once completed.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:34 AM

39 posts, read 288,006 times
I was a Cdn citizen and sponsored my spouse - family sponsorship. Have you looked into provincial sponsorship...Alberta just anounced that in order to meet growing needs in the workforce, that the province would be sponsoring many skilled workers for immigration.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 PM

I checked out the Provincial nominee program in Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta. But all need pre-employed nominees.

Is it easy for me to apply for a job in the cities of Alberta since I am residing out of the country at the moment?

As I mentioned before, I have a PG Diploma in Business Marketing, A Bachelor in Business Administration and a 4 years work experience in the same field. Also the PG course was done at a college in Toronto followed by a 1 year work experience. Are such jobs available in Calgary mostly and maybe Edmonton which suit my profile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada