Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 11,470 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me out
I am a 23 year old from Australia who is about to graduate Uni at the end of the year. I have decided to take the next year off before doing College of Law.
Times New Roman]During the year I would love to throw myself out there and experience new things --- basically get out of my comfort zone.
I have heard some amazing things about Vancouver, and as I am a poor student I would need to find a place where I can find work. Alternatively Toronto also sounds like fun from wat I have read on this forum.

I was wondering whether it is easy to get jobs as a wait person or food and beverage staff for functions as I have had experience in these fields while working casually during Uni. Also what the wages are like in these cities in relation to these jobs.
Also, whether cost of living - rent, food transport etc are high in Vancouver and if above jobs can cover those costs.
Any advice or links to info in relation to the above would be greatly appreciated
Thankyou

Last edited by sz385; 07-22-2008 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 02:41 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,870 times
Make sure to check out the options for getting a work permit...

Working temporarily in Canada

Old 07-24-2008, 03:01 PM

25 posts, read 157,279 times
Cost of living is very high in both Vancouver and Toronto. The two cities are very different. Toronto is much bigger and more urban in my opinion and it is the centre of Canada in many ways. Toronto is also the most multicultural city in the world. There's a lot to do in Toronto and it is constantly growing and changing. I would recommend staying in Toronto. Of course, I'm biased being a Torontonian

Old 07-24-2008, 03:51 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
As you can see from that site just posted, it is almost impossible to fall into one of those catagories where no work visa is needed. That leaves you where? You said you are poor so what next?

I too took off a year of my life to live in Canada. I did not work but had a little savings to live on. I lived in North Vancouver but hung out in Vancouver all the time. Hippys still rock and they still live in the Kitsilano section and other areas. I got two 6 month temporary stay visas. They refused me a 3rd.

Vancouver is expensive. I think I read it was the 2nd most expensive real estate on earth next to Tokyo. People with less money dont rent apartments, they live in basement flats or share rooms to make ends meet. That's not generalizing, that's how it's done. For those wishing to experience the late 60s there are still communes and hostels which are fairly inexpensive compared to hotels.

If you want to experience Canada and be live near a less expensive place to survive try Vancouver Island. You can look around Victoria or go north to Courtenay which is a small nice town or any tiny town inbetween. I stayed in Courtenay for a while as well as Sooke at the very bottom of the island.

If you are a good talker and a nice person you may be able to find an under the table job at one of the fishing ports above Victoria. They pay cash by the day. I wonder if the BC Ferrys will sponser you and give you a great job. You might even find some cash jobs outside Richmond back on the mainland. There is a little fishing village called Steveston. What an awesome awesome place. You might find a job as a fishing hand without having to give proof of citizenship. This is such a wonderful little town. Shops and small seafood restaurants and other restaurants of all cultures. Lots of Chinese things because nearby Richmond is 99.999% Chinese.

Outside Steveston are several more islands. Some have no access and a couple can be reached by ferry. These islands are actually inhabbited by old Hippys who want to live off the land. Im not even sure they are accounted for in national head counts. They are quite isolated out there but they love it that way. We boated out to one and I think it was Duck Island. There were lots of old American Soldiers who ran from the Vietnam draft living there, just living off the land. There are no stores out there, few roads and little else. Nothing but peace and quite and escape from the world.

Hope that helps some...............

Old 07-24-2008, 07:08 PM

170 posts, read 893,394 times
I can tell you from personal experience that many of the staff at Cypress Mountain (http://www.cypressmountain.com/jobs_international.html - broken link) are Australian. And there's a huge "colony" at Whistler. Both mountains are crying out for staff every season.

Good luck to you. My personal trainer is an Aussie. He rocks!

PS.........you'll see that I've linked you to the employment section at Cypress. Check out the special section for Australians. We love Australians in Canada. You get to have a 24 month working holiday in Canada.

I know that last year Whistler held job fairs. I'm not sure of the employment link there.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendolly View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that many of the staff at Cypress Mountain (http://www.cypressmountain.com/jobs_international.html - broken link) are Australian. And there's a huge "colony" at Whistler. Both mountains are crying out for staff every season.

Good luck to you. My personal trainer is an Aussie. He rocks!

PS.........you'll see that I've linked you to the employment section at Cypress. Check out the special section for Australians. We love Australians in Canada. You get to have a 24 month working holiday in Canada.

I know that last year Whistler held job fairs. I'm not sure of the employment link there.
I will agree with this. Whistler is a wonderful little village. We didnt go for the famous skiing but instead walked the village that is lined with stores and restaurants. There is a little French Cafe I remember I loved. First time I ever heard of a crep let alone a chocolate one.

Come to think of it there were quite a few Aussies there. I think it is about 4 hour drive from Vancouver.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:53 AM
SNH

4 posts, read 22,952 times
Provided he (if you're a he!!) can find enough money to apply for a working holiday visa he is fine. (Even borrow enough from parents until he arrives in the country.)

Australians - up until the age of thirty - are entitled to a renewable two year Canadian working visa.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 AM

2 posts, read 11,470 times
Thanks for all the advice

Well when I said poor I dont mean dirt poor I meant I planned to work and play at the same time and not just lounge around for a year , so the visa fees and such is not an issue.

Thanks for the link up to whistler... I was thinking about joining recruitment agencies which apparently hook u up with jobs with ski resorts. If anyone had any experiences with that I would love to hear from you Don't know if this hurts my employment opportunities but I am a she.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 AM

315 posts, read 1,624,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Vancouver is expensive. I think I read it was the 2nd most expensive real estate on earth next to Tokyo.
On a worldwide scale, Vancouver isn't even on the radar. Although, Toronto made #54 on Mercer's 2008 list...

Mercer's 2008 Cost of Living survey highlights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada