Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 AM

755 posts, read 2,494,699 times

Advertisements

We want to go to Niagara Falls this weekend, but I can't find my birth certificate. I have DH's, and all three kids' but not mine. I have a driver's license with the same address as DH and my name on all three kids' birth certificates. I also have my Social Security card, but apparently that's not proof of citizenship.

We have reservations at a hotel on the Canadian side of the Falls. Do you think this will be possible? Can I get back into the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,446,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
We want to go to Niagara Falls this weekend, but I can't find my birth certificate. I have DH's, and all three kids' but not mine. I have a driver's license with the same address as DH and my name on all three kids' birth certificates. I also have my Social Security card, but apparently that's not proof of citizenship.

We have reservations at a hotel on the Canadian side of the Falls. Do you think this will be possible? Can I get back into the US?
Google the Canadian Border. We just crossed the Canadian border last month from Alaska driving through Canada to go through N. Dakota. My husband and I both had our passports but were not asked for them by the Canadian border patrol. However, when we returned to Alaska, the U.S. Border patrol asked to see our passports. There is alot of info on the Border cross websites. I do believe you can still use your driver's license. Good luck and have a great trip.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM

315 posts, read 1,625,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post

In the following link, the US Department of State outlines entry/exit requirements when traveling to Canada...

Canada

Old 07-31-2008, 06:10 PM

148 posts, read 877,348 times
If you show up without proper identification, you may STILL be allowed to cross the border into Canada, however it might be a longer process. By that, I mean that you would probably have to go in and speak with the immigration officers. It's possible, that by chance, you are not asked for your passport and documentation, it happened to me once... and this was even after a full week in the U.S.

If you want an official answer, you can call the Canada Border Services Border Information Service Line... I take it you are based in the U.S. As is this case, you would want to call:
204-983-3500 (based in Manitoba)
or
506-636-5064 (based in New-Brunswick)
... Pick your poison as far as long distance charges go.

I refer people to these lines every day as part of my job

I can tell you right now that they will give you an "official answer"... but there's always ways around.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:42 PM

755 posts, read 2,494,699 times
I got in and out with no problems. We had a wonderful time in Niagara, and I'm applying for a passport next week so it won't be an issue anymore.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Old 08-03-2008, 01:08 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,112,284 times
We deal with this constantly in Seattle!

Americans entering Canada:
AMCITS • Entering Canada • U.S. Consular Services in Canada (http://www.amcits.com/enter_canada.asp - broken link)

Americans entering the U.S.:
Documents You Will Need to Enter the United States - CBP.gov (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/air_travel/documents_needed.xml - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada