U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 7,556 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would like to become a permanent resident in Montreal. I have researched the official immigration page and have taken the assessment questionnaire for the skilled labor route. I speak French and English and will earn my master's degree this month. Unfortunately, I lack the required year of experience. I am having a difficult time figuring out which jobs actually qualify for the year of experience. My master's is in Women's Studies and Jewish Studies and am looking at a job in a University Judaic Studies Center. My concern is that it is an administrative/clerical/payroll type position and that it will not qualify. Does anyone know if the job has to be managerial or technical/scientific in order to qualify?

My second question is about becoming a student there. If I go back to school for my doctorate in Montreal, is it possible to apply for residency during my studies or directly following graduation?

Thank you so much for your help. Have a lovely day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:15 PM

175 posts, read 1,560,004 times
A wide variety of jobs qualify for Canadian immigration. You may visit the CIC website for more details.
It is possible for you to apply for residency even DURING your PhD program. If you hold an assistantship at the University, that will count as relevant work experience as well.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:22 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,127,086 times
Quote:
You may visit the CIC website for more details.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 08-09-2008, 09:47 AM

25 posts, read 94,976 times
NAFTA Occupation List (http://www.immigrate.net/law/en/JobinCanada/NAFTA.asp - broken link)

If you're going to go through with this process, I strongly advise you to hire an immigration lawyer. The couple thousand dollars you'll spend could save you months and months of waiting. This is a very hard process to do on your own.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:37 AM

14 posts, read 227,277 times
How often the list of skilled worker occupations is updated? My occupation would be either at 1224 or 6232 but I don't see that listed on the either listed on CIC website. Would I be eligible to apply as a skilled worker? Any imput is appreciated.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:31 PM

355 posts, read 2,293,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by america_dude View Post
NAFTA Occupation List (http://www.immigrate.net/law/en/JobinCanada/NAFTA.asp - broken link)

If you're going to go through with this process, I strongly advise you to hire an immigration lawyer. The couple thousand dollars you'll spend could save you months and months of waiting. This is a very hard process to do on your own.

Hi,

I just sent in my application to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, NS. Now, could you elaborate on the advantages of using an immigration lawyer? I can see the need for an immigration lawyer in the US (where I'm living now), given that the system has many more variations (e.g., types of visa), exceptions, nuances, etc. Compared to that, I found the Canadian system pretty straightforward, with lots of explanations on their website, including statistics on completion rates per office.

I'm not saying a lawyer would not help regarding immigration to Canada, I'm just wondering what the "time-saving" aspects would be (I know the US system has a fast track for some types of visa, I'm not aware that the Canadian system would offer that possibility too).

Thanks for any information.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:50 PM

355 posts, read 2,293,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondnorris View Post
How often the list of skilled worker occupations is updated? My occupation would be either at 1224 or 6232 but I don't see that listed on the either listed on CIC website. Would I be eligible to apply as a skilled worker? Any imput is appreciated.

Apparently the list was last updated February 27, 2008. The latest list is at:
Instructions on which skilled worker applications are eligible for processing

What may be misleading, though, is that the instructions say that the occupation has to be a Skill Type 0, or a Skill level A or B. The type is indicated by the first digit of the number ("0" being managerial), and the level is indicated by the second digit ("1" and "2" being level A, which indicates the level of formal training required). Your position 1224 is then a Skill Type 1 (first digit), Skill Level A (second digit).

The part that may be misleading is that the type 0 or levels A-B requirements apply only to the selected positions in the link above, not to all positions in the NOC list.

So even if an applicant's job experience is a type 0 or levels A-B, if the position is not in the current list of selected occupations, an applicant will not be eligible.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:16 PM

14 posts, read 227,277 times
Thanks for the info RGPG_99!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada