Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,224 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I will be married in October, and were thinking of moving to Canada. We just started talking about it a week or two ago and really liked the idea. I'm 22 he's 23, we have a 4 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. We make a good stable living. I am a RN and he is a Personal Trainer. We've both been to Toronto, and liked that area but were also interested in the B.C. area. But I have a few questions lol.
Where in your opinion is the best place to raise a family,(we plan on more children in the future)?
What is the education system like?
Where is the best economy?
What are expenses like?
How do you go about applying for citizenship and How long does it take?

Thanks for any help, We live in the USA btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 AM

315 posts, read 1,624,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missycarter View Post
Where in your opinion is the best place to raise a family,(we plan on more children in the future)?
What is the education system like?
Where is the best economy?
What are expenses like?
How do you go about applying for citizenship and How long does it take?

Thanks for any help, We live in the USA btw.
I am an American that moved to Canada about 1.5 yrs ago. I can't be of help with your first two questions but will try with the rest.

The best economies right now seem to be in the prairie provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan. In Alberta, jobs are plentiful and generally pay well.

Expenses are high in all of Canada. Taxes are the lowest in Alberta. Outside of taxes, virtually everything in Canada costs significantly more than in the US. Food, clothing, consumer goods, insurance, cars, fuel, etc. Don't underestimate how the price difference on all of these things add up.

A person may apply for citizenship after being a Permanent Resident and living in Canada for at least three years. Becomming a Permanent Resident can take as little as a year through a Provincial Nominee Program (if you have arranged employment) or as long as several years through traditional applications. Check out your options here...
Immigrating to Canada

You may also want to check out Temporary Work Permits that will allow you to live here for up to three years while you file for PR. TWPs can be had in as little as 3 or 4 months if you qualify and have a job offer.
Working temporarily in Canada

Where you will want to live will depend on what you are looking for in a new home. What is it Canada offers that you are not getting in the States?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:45 PM

5 posts, read 23,808 times
Hello missycarter, I am pleased to hear you are considering Canada. The two things you guys do for a living is in demand here. I would like you to consider London Ontario. As an RN you will love our hospitals here. Your personal trainer is also greatly utilized in our area. I can also tell you that you can buy a home for about half the price as the large city centres of Toronto and such. my wife and I work in these areas and we live very well. I am also a fan of our trips to the States so we are one hour from Port Huron Mich. It does not cost you anything to look and I think it is hard to pass up the lifestyle here. Best of luck to you. If you guys come up here to look around you will have no problem getting people to help you find your way around.oh yeah, the education system is very nice in London. Our schools are some of the best in the province. You have a wide variety to choose from, public, private, catholic,cristian etc.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,474 times
I live in the USA with my husband and 3 children. My husband is a Cuban Refugee here on a Perm. Resident card. He is not a US citizen. We are wanting to immigrate to Canada-thinking about Alberta. What are choices if we come across the border for vacation and stay? Are their places to get work(don't care what it is-housekeeping,etc...) without a work permit? Also is easier to get P.R. when your already on Canadian soil?
Thanks ahead of time for any help!!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:11 AM

Visiting is easy. US citizens don't need a visa to visit but Cuban nationals need visas. Read up on visiting here...

Visiting Canada

To work in Canada, a work permit or permanent residency is required. Temporary work permits require arranged employment. The process is not cheap but can be somewhat fast to get (3 months or so). Here is more info...

Working temporarily in Canada

Permanent residency can be acquired in as little as a year through a PNP program (with arranged employment). Otherwise, t could take a few years. Here is more info...

Immigrating to Canada

Old 09-04-2008, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,384 times
If you like BC, why not Seattle or California.
Other parts of Canada all have a long winter. But you can expect a variety of different culture in big cities. It is said in vancouver lower mainland, 50% are from HongKong.
BTW, canadian government is generous to refugees.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzh007 View Post
If you like BC, why not Seattle or California.
+1

Seattle is a great option and in many respects, makes a much better choice for an American looking to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzh007 View Post
It is said in vancouver lower mainland, 50% are from HongKong.
Not even close

Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Amazing how many people in the US would LIKE to move out of it now. I have to say, I wouldn't mind doing so myself. I used to have relatives in London, Ontario and they were very happy there. I need to get up and visit one day soon.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Amazing how many people in the US would LIKE to move out of it now.
The statistics suggest otherwise. There are exponentially more people, per capita, moving from Canada to the US compared as opposed to migration from the US to Canada.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 AM

5 posts, read 14,359 times
Default Welcome aboard !!

I am also hopefully moving to Canada. Ottawa to be exact. I have been engaged to a man there for the last 2 years and we are contemplating my move next spring.

I must tell you that what we have found is that the first and formost thing you need is a really good immigration lawyer. We were under the mistaken impression that it was a snap to move me up there and found out differently.....I ended up having to come back to the States until we could do it right. There is a great deal of paperwork that has to be filed, and it is best to have someone do it that knows what is needed and gets it done right.......especially if you plan to bring your belongings with you.

The economy there is different. Everything costs more, gas and food especially, but housing rentals are lower. Purchasing a home is about the same as in the States. There is a much slower pace to the lifestyle there and the people are unbelievably friendly. Toronto is much like the U.S., but I have been to Winnipeg, Manitoba and the quality of life is wonderful. Ottawa is also set at a much slower pace. The scenery in Ontario is beautiful, going west the plains area is flat and mostly farmland. Then you come to the Rockies and you see vistas there that you will remember for your entire lifetime. I loved Winnipeg, but have to admit when my guy got a job in Ontario I fell in love with Ontario.

Wherever you plan to relocate, visit first. This country is so enormous it is unbelievable. You can drive for an entire day and never see another car, house, or person. The further west you go the less you will find.

Canada is the most wonderful place I have been. Bring your camera. There are things there that have been lost in the United States for decades. I hope you love it as much as I have grown to........Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada