Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,505 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I'm a newcomer here, from China. I'm on the waiting list of immigrating request to Canada now, for the purpose of freedom spiritual and better social welfare, such as public education system, social insurance and so on.

Though as you know, the influx into Canada from my country is too much so that I have to keep waiting with no idea when it is an end. At present I have a good job at China Telecom company and a stable, happy family life in a big city. Actually sometimes I just felt frustrated for having waited for almost 2 years and even hesitated to withdraw my application. But I don't reconcile to
a despairing retreat even without a glimpse at the land of Canada...

It's really a dilemma...Hope anyone in Canada or US could be kind to tell me some reasons to keep trying to immigrate to Canada or not going on...Any suggestion is highly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 PM

175 posts, read 1,592,777 times
As a Chinese myself who moved here only recently, I personally think there are two major cons about moving to Canada: 1) you may find it hard to find your first job (I mean a real job that can utilize your skills and experience, not driving a taxi 2) you will find life to be more boring in a foreign country as you can't expect the same level of social network as you are having in your home country.

I am not sure if you are married or have kid, but the idea of letting your child to be educated in China when you have an alternative, in my opinion, is a cruel thing to do.

Other good things about Canada: people are more friendly, not so much deception and cons being played. The streets are cleaner and housing is cheaper even in absolute value. And the fact that you don't see the president or the city mayor going to insignificant meetings with guests from Zimbabwe or Namibia every time you turn on the TV.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I'd be happy to give any advise you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofox View Post
Hi All,
I'm a newcomer here, from China. I'm on the waiting list of immigrating request to Canada now, for the purpose of freedom spiritual and better social welfare, such as public education system, social insurance and so on.

Though as you know, the influx into Canada from my country is too much so that I have to keep waiting with no idea when it is an end. At present I have a good job at China Telecom company and a stable, happy family life in a big city. Actually sometimes I just felt frustrated for having waited for almost 2 years and even hesitated to withdraw my application. But I don't reconcile to
a despairing retreat even without a glimpse at the land of Canada...

It's really a dilemma...Hope anyone in Canada or US could be kind to tell me some reasons to keep trying to immigrate to Canada or not going on...Any suggestion is highly appreciated, thanks!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:12 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,730 times
Quote:
Actually sometimes I just felt frustrated for having waited for almost 2 years and even hesitated to withdraw my application.
The immigration process can be very long. Don't be discouraged. There is nothing to be gained by withdrawing your application.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:49 PM

12 posts, read 85,883 times
Quote:
...... sometimes I just felt frustrated for having waited for almost 2 years ......
According to CIC Canada....

Processing Times at Individual Visa Offices in Asia and Pacific: Beijing
30% of cases finalized in: (3 months)
50% of cases finalized in: (6 months)
70% of cases finalized in: (36 months)
80% of cases finalized in: (59 months)

So,
Since 2 years already been passed.... So almost a year to go :-) and as said earlier u'll not achieve anything by withdrawing...

And i just secured my resident status last month and BY GOD its wonderful; u won't regret it

Old 09-02-2008, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,505 times
Thanks for all of you for your kind reply...

Maybe the best way for me is to continue the long march of applying for immigration. Anyway, it will be an alternative for my future.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:55 AM

22 posts, read 158,474 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of you for your kind reply...

Maybe the best way for me is to continue the long march of applying for immigration. Anyway, it will be an alternative for my future.

Don't give up! And keep in contact with the immigration people!

A co-worker, a Canadian citizen from Trinidad and newlywed, sponsored his wife (also from Trinidad, and it took about 1 1/2 years.

Unfortunately, coming from certain countries the process takes longer than coming from other countries...such as the US!

Also, an immigration department in your country can turn you down, that does not mean Canada has turned you down!

In such case, you might need an immigration lawyer, however coming from China, I doubt they'll turn you down!

Canada has lots of successful Chinese people, and loads of 'China-towns' in major cities!
I think Toronto and GTA (General Toronto Area) has at least 5 Chinatowns.

You'll never feel homesick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada