U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 14,577 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]Does anyone know how to help me? I really need help and resources as soon as possible. I live in Arkansas, however my very close boyfriend, who I plan to marry, lives in Quebec, Canada. Sadly, he's only 17 and has a bad home life. He has resently been forced to leave his home and now he has no where to stay. I need to find out how to get him here. I don't have much money access, but I can get a job in the middle of next month. I don't know how to get enough money soon enough and plus I'm not really sure about everything that he needs or needs to know. He plans to stay in the us with me for about 2 to 3 years. So would he need a passport, green card, or visa? I've been looking throgh every webstie given to me by google for almost 7 hours straight and all I seem to find is the same repeated useless information. I'm so lost and confused... And I want to be able to tell him what he needs instead of making him figure all of it out. Please, I would really like for any information or suggestions at all. You got an idea?! Shoot! Tell me. I'll take anything at this point.
Thanx for reading,
Ash
[/LEFT]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 08:14 PM

10,193 posts, read 25,829,984 times
He should probably go to the US Consul; get a visa and cross over the border with his passport (yes, he needs one).

Folks can't however work without the right visa, not just any visa. Canadians have a hard time getting legitimate visas so that is a hurdle.

But if your first consideration is getting him out of a difficult situation, I suggest a visitor's visa, a passport and a form of transportation to get him to Arkansas!

Good luck!

And, btw, one can't stay in the States for 3-4 years on a visitor's visa. I believe the maximum is 6 months.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:07 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,040,265 times
Default Go Here

For all the information you will need :

www.travel.state.gov

Follow the link for Foriegn Visitor to the US.

Now lets clear up some misinformation.

If your "boyfriend" is a Canadian citizen, he is not required to attend at a US consulate to get a visa. He may, at the pleasure of US Immigation officials, be granted a B1 visitor visa IF he is allowed to enter the United States.

Your "boyfriend", if he is a Canadian citizen and if he enters the United States at a land border crossing, does not require a passport until June, 2009. A birth certificate and driver's licence or other photo ID are all that is legally required. A passport, however, is always the preferred form of identification.

Now the bad news, Ash.

The US, especially post 911, is rather picky about who they allow to enter their country. People are not simply allowed to cross the border and stay as long as they like.

There are several different reasons why people can be admitted to the US: to visit, to study, to work, to marry, etc. Those different purposes each have different requirements that must be met.

To obtain a student visa, your "boyfriend" would have to be a registered student at a US educational institution. That doesn't seem to apply here.

To work, your "boyfriend" would either have to apply in advance for a 'green card' or have a US employer seek a work permit for him. Work permits are difficult to obtain unless one has specialized skills to offer. That also doesn't seem to apply in this case.

To enter the US for the purpose of marrying a US citizen, you and your "boyfriend" would need to apply for a fiancee visa. These generally take months to issue and your "boyfriend" would have to remain in Canada until it was issued. You, as a US citizen, would have to meet certain finacial criteria to show you could support your "boyfriend". The 2 of you would also have to marry within a short time (90 days?) of him entering the US. That doesn't sound like your plan.

If your "boyfriend" tries to enter the US as a visitor, he will likely have to convince an immigration officer that he has enough financial resources to care for himself for his trip. He will have to show he intends on leaving the US after his trip is completed. The normal vistor visa is good for a maximum of 6 months and may be granted for a shorter period of time by an immigration official.

If a person enters the US as a visitor and the "forgets" to leave, US Immigration tends to get kinda cranky when they find out. The person would likely be thrown out of the US and banned from re-entering; fines and prison terms might also enter the picture. Not a good deal.

The short version is it really isn't practical for your "boyfriend" to just head down to Arkansas for a couple of years.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:10 PM

Thanks for a better and more precise answer---I was winging it, but did try.

And, I always carry my passport--always!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 PM

Default ontheroad

No offence meant.

The current proposed changes and ever-changing implementation dates for border-crossing requirements are extremely confusing and hard to keep up on.

As you said, passport is always the way to go, wherever you go.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 AM

No offense taken.

You clearly have your finger on the ins and outs. I am more familiar with immigration from beyond our shores, but I did think a passport was going to be required. And I see it is farther out than I remembered.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
No offence meant.

The current proposed changes and ever-changing implementation dates for border-crossing requirements are extremely confusing and hard to keep up on.

As you said, passport is always the way to go, wherever you go.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Passport Requirements

The most recent information I have regarding passport requirements is this:

For American citizens re-entering the United States and for Canadian citizens entering the US:

1. By air, passports are required as of January, 2007.

2. By land crossing, passports, or a yet to be determined identification card, will be required as of June, 2009

However, Senator Louise Slaughter of New York is currently working on presenting a Bill to Congress which could change those requirements or timetables if approved. Senator Slaughter is apparently concerned about economic impact for border states/provinces if identification requirements are too stringent or phased in too quickly.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 AM

I'm pleased to hear that one of the US Senators is looking into the rules. I for one have been miserable about the fact that Canadian suppliers have withdrawn their offer to sell and ship to the States. In particular, Curry's, one of the largest Canadian art suppliers just couldn't keep up with all the restrictions and financial penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
The most recent information I have regarding passport requirements is this:

For American citizens re-entering the United States and for Canadian citizens entering the US:

1. By air, passports are required as of January, 2007.

2. By land crossing, passports, or a yet to be determined identification card, will be required as of June, 2009

However, Senator Louise Slaughter of New York is currently working on presenting a Bill to Congress which could change those requirements or timetables if approved. Senator Slaughter is apparently concerned about economic impact for border states/provinces if identification requirements are too stringent or phased in too quickly.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 14,577 times
Thank you for your advice... If you happen to find anything else out that might be helpful please do tell.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:05 AM

617 posts, read 2,678,019 times
I recommend this website www.visajourney.com.

It will tell you everything you need to know about getting your boyfriend over to the U.S.

I am American, and my husband is British. We got married in Sept 2006, in America. My husband didn't need any paperwork, or visa to get married to me there. It took me about 4 hours to get my visa to live in the UK. For my husband to get just a K-3 spouse visa to come to the U.S, it will take 208 days, because I have to apply through the Embassy that covers my home state, and that happens to be California. One of the longest waits for legal immigration.

I can tell you, that it will be difficult, and more expensive, if you are not married before you start applying for all this stuff. You have a better shot at getting a visa for a spouse, then for a fiance. You would have to wait until your boyfriend is 18 before you can do anything. WHEN your boyfriend flies over to America for the wedding, there are somethings to remember when he as at immigration at the airport. DO NOT say you are coming to America for your wedding. He will be turned away. He should state that he is on a vacation for a few weeks to visit a family friend, and then show his return ticket to Canada.
Assuming that you just get married in the U.S. first, the first thing you have to do, is apply for the greencard. Once that is in process, you will be sent a notice of action form. After that you will be eligable to apply for what is called a K-3 visa, or a spouse visa. The wait to get this visa is different, depending on what office will be dealing with your case. Like I said, for us, the average wait is about 208 days in California. Your spouse will be required to attend an interview for both the K-3 visa, and the greencard, at the U.S. embassy which is closest to him. You need to be able to show TONS of proof that your relationship is legitamate, such as pictures, little love cards you have given eachother, emails, the works. Most likely, the interview for the visa, will come before the greencard interview.

Once he has the K-3 spouse visa, he can cross over to the U.S. They still have the right to refuse him entry, even though he has this visa. Most likely they wont, and if you drive by car, things are usually more relaxed at immigration, especially if you are driving with him. But this visa does not allow him the right to work. You will need a job which will show that you can support him, and he will then need to apply for a work permit. I am not sure how long the wait is for that.
The reason the K-3 visa is so important, is that it will allow your spouse to change his immigration status, while in the USA. You cannot complete any of this process of getting him over to the states, if he is inside the U.S without a visa. This process has to start inside Canada.
The greencard interview will come later, and you will need to attend that with him. Once again, you will need to show total proof of your relationship.

Hope this helps. It costs money, and is very time consuming. If you stay organized, and make copies of every piece of paperwork you fill out, there should be no reason why things wont work out in your favor.

If you don't want to get married right away, you might look into what it takes to getting a student visa or something.

Another idea, is that you may want to look into if it is easier for you to first get a visa to go to Canada, and be with him during this entire process.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada