Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 AM

60 posts, read 261,712 times

Advertisements

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/index.html (broken link)

I scored 76. (I have Canadian relatives.)

Whats your score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 12:48 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,404,518 times
I scored a 65. Pretty good for not being particularly skilled in anything .

Old 02-04-2007, 09:31 AM

266 posts, read 1,196,422 times
Just for fun, I took it too - of course I am Canadian, so it isn't really a "fair" score - 86
I do think having French raises it significantly, so if you really want to go to Canada I do seriously recommend taking some French classes. Almost all job applications will ask if you know French (or another language).

Old 02-04-2007, 01:36 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,838,192 times
Wow, you get dinged if you don't know people here too!

I added it up in my head, I think I'd get around 80, maybe less. Some of the questions weren't clear. It's possible that I could score under 67 if I'd never been here before.

I don't recall if any employer has asked if I can speak French. I live near Toronto, so there aren't many French people here. A few hours east there are a lot of French Canadians. I have very basic (public school) French and that's never been a problem. There are probably a lot of good jobs that they'd prefer or expect Bi-Lingualism; especially government jobs.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:29 PM

571 posts, read 2,532,347 times
I also scored a 76. I don't speak French or relatives in Canada, but I got max points for education/work experience.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:12 PM

If I tweak my answers a bit, if I just achieve even basic proficiency in French, it would put me over the 67 "passing" threshold, which I could easily achieve in just a few months. Montreal, here I come!

Old 02-05-2007, 06:47 AM

The only thing is, particularly Montreal... don't be surprised when you get the cold shoulder from the French Canadians (of which the city is mainly comprised) if you can't speak or read or understand French. I was born in Montreal, too, but even with my good French it can get awkward. In fact, my Canadian husband and I couldn't even move there now as he can't speak French and for a job there you pretty much have to.

Montreal is a GREAT city, though - very "European" - lots to see and do. Good luck - I really hope it works out for you if you are planning to go! I'd be jealous!!

Old 02-05-2007, 05:11 PM

30 posts, read 196,418 times
Default Scored a 72...

but am living in Alaska right now and if a move is warranted I'm going warmer! Do love BC and the Yukon though, haven't seen anymore of Canada.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
The only thing is, particularly Montreal... don't be surprised when you get the cold shoulder from the French Canadians (of which the city is mainly comprised) if you can't speak or read or understand French. I was born in Montreal, too, but even with my good French it can get awkward. In fact, my Canadian husband and I couldn't even move there now as he can't speak French and for a job there you pretty much have to.

Montreal is a GREAT city, though - very "European" - lots to see and do. Good luck - I really hope it works out for you if you are planning to go! I'd be jealous!!
Hehe, no, no, I was just messing around . I have entertained the idea of moving to Canada before, but Montreal wouldn't be my top choice. I think I'd choose Toronto or Vancouver over Montreal. It's just a bit too cold for my taste and the language would be an issue as well. I have to say, I've always found bilingual cities such as Montreal to be so fascinating. Truly officially bilingual, not bilingual in the American sense where it's sort of de facto unofficial bilingualism; just in terms of the different divisions and juxtapositions that can occur as a result.

I do plan to visit one day though. It will be in the summer though .

Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 AM

Default ya got me!!

(D'OH - in Homer Simpson voice)

How typically Canadian of me, trying to be so helpful... and here I am just being taken advantage of...

But seriously, if you ever do get a chance to visit, Montreal is well worth it. I do think it is one of the classiest Canadian cities and the prettiest (ducking to miss any rotten tomatoes thrown my way !?!) ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada