Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:08 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times

Advertisements

This Canada forum has only just appeared and already there seem to be more than a few Americans expressing interest of varying degrees in moving to Canada.

As a country, we should be flattered to be considered an attractive alternative to life in the United States.

Contrary to popular belief amongst some Canadians, emigrating to Canada is a little more complex than showing up at the border with suitcase in hand. Usually.

There are various ways of emigrating: through employment, family reunification, etc., and the requirements for each avenue are quite different.

Immigration to Canada is controlled by a government branch called Citizenship and Immigration Canada. CIC has an extensive website explaining requirements and procedures. It is available in English or French and can be found at:

www.cic.gc.ca

It's well worth a look for anyone giving serious or semi-serious consideration to applying to immigarte to Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 01:41 PM

409 posts, read 1,237,066 times
My wife and I have visited many places. The only place that we ever considered living besides the U.S. was Vancouver, B.C.

Of course, we were not there in the dead of winter either

Old 02-06-2007, 09:47 PM

148 posts, read 876,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
My wife and I have visited many places. The only place that we ever considered living besides the U.S. was Vancouver, B.C.

Of course, we were not there in the dead of winter either
Vancouver is the most mild place in Canada in the winter... There is little (or no) snow, and more days with above freezing temperatures than not.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:17 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
My husabnd and I would love to move to Vancover, been there a few times. he is a Project manager in Commercial and Residential construction. I dont know how he would find a job there though.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:57 AM

21 posts, read 162,832 times
Canada is to me more secure than the US. The only thing I don't like is the weather (I'm not really into winter sports) but some people like it. It depends where you live, too.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:53 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castor View Post
Canada is to me more secure than the US. The only thing I don't like is the weather (I'm not really into winter sports) but some people like it. It depends where you live, too.
There's always the snowbird strategy. If you qualify on points you probably make enough so that's an affordable option.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Why move to Canada just to be a snowbird? Dont like the winters, stay in the southern US states.

Vancouver is a great location with great maritime weather, wish I could afford

Old 03-10-2007, 10:19 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
This Canada forum has only just appeared and already there seem to be more than a few Americans expressing interest of varying degrees in moving to Canada.

As a country, we should be flattered to be considered an attractive alternative to life in the United States.

Contrary to popular belief amongst some Canadians, emigrating to Canada is a little more complex than showing up at the border with suitcase in hand. Usually.

There are various ways of emigrating: through employment, family reunification, etc., and the requirements for each avenue are quite different.

Immigration to Canada is controlled by a government branch called Citizenship and Immigration Canada. CIC has an extensive website explaining requirements and procedures. It is available in English or French and can be found at:

www.cic.gc.ca

It's well worth a look for anyone giving serious or semi-serious consideration to applying to immigarte to Canada.

It's ok. I'll just crawl over the fence.

Canada should be proud because it has a very good rep from all the things I've heard about it anyway. I have a friend who was born in Canada and just loves Vancouver and will move back as soon as she finishes her 30 years of teaching.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 AM

13 posts, read 67,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post

www.cic.gc.ca

Hi!!

Ive read the website. If not mistaken, naturalisation is given after 3 full years of permanent residency in Canada? I've also previosuly heard that foreign students at college to claim citizenships after their studies. I have no idea if there are more conditions applied to it but 3 years!! Canadians are very welcoming as far as citizenships are concerned for sure. Anyone more informative want to comment on this matter, as it's almost too good to be true.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:48 PM

177 posts, read 847,687 times
After three years of permanent residency ("landing") you may or may not qualify for citizenship. It's completely dependent on how many days you spend in Canada after landing. If, for example, you take a week's vacation outside of the country, those 7 days do not count in your total. If, as I did, you live in Canada and work in the States, each day is counted as a day out of Canada (even if you leave in the AM and return prior to midnight). It's more complicated than it's spelled out to be - so if you do attempt this, my advice is to keep a running spreadsheet of days in vs. days out. You do have to provide proof when you submit your citizenship application.

eileen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada