Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:02 PM

106 posts, read 356,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Bashing? You know, folks, I only made a few point-by-point comments. You'd think this was over on the Religion & Philosophy threads! Golly. I certainly allowed as how there were many faults with the US system, and you guys all yell "BINGO!". as if I'd been forced to admit something down in Guantanimo!

FYI - If you took the time to read what other people are saying, then you'd realize that I too am American. The only difference between us is that I'm not the stereotypical pompous yankee that you seem to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 03:19 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,870,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
FYI - If you took the time to read what other people are saying, then you'd realize that I too am American. The only difference between us is that I'm not the stereotypical pompous yankee that you seem to be.
Well, you folks just keep making my points, but I'll agree to sit here and have you tell me just where I was, in my first post, pompous. And I don't care where you're from, the US or Kanada. That should make no difference to the truth.

You are not The Health Care system in Canada. Why take offense to my relating certain experiences about it or to my pointing out, accurately, where it's gone wrong for me and my family? Again, it seems that only agreement will be brooked here. Or positive points.

OK> Here Goes, just soz I can be "liked". (It's so important to me!)

1. The Canadian Health Care system is wonderful.

2. You'll not get better care anywhere in the world.

3. It's well flushed right now, no immigrant or overcrowding or funding issues.

4. All the doctors are happy, and none want to escape to the US.

5. The technology is first-rate, incomparable and well, it's the best!

6. No Canadian patients ever flee to the US for special care or in hopes of surviving more critical situations.

7. Those who disagree will be roundly disabused and insulted.

Better? Can I come out of the corner now? I'm sorry I misread the OP: "Canadians: tell us how you feel about your health care." (But only if you like it...)

I'm amazed at the offense people take to others' opinions. Pompous? Yikes. You're scaring me. Really!

Last edited by rifleman; 03-02-2009 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: typos, obfuscation.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,244,374 times
Default Untwist Your Knickers Please

riffie I realised later that you hadn't misquoted me - but I edited my post for clarity at 12:19 almost immediately after I posted it (evidently while you were in the midst of writing your novel which was posted at 12:37) My apologies for that.

thotful1: I am well aware of the cons – just not particularly interested in debating them – because for ME, the pros far outweigh the cons. I will take our system any day over the USA system – and I believe that was the question posed at the beginning of this discussion:

So, Canadians, tell us how you feel about your provincial health plan (tell us which province), and whether you'd rather switch to a USA style coverage.

So, in short, how do I feel about my provincial health plan? I am satisfied with it.
Would I rather switch to a USA-style coverage? Not for a moment.

As riffie pointed out, we have a shortage of doctors in Canada. Our doctors are underpaid and overworked. I appreciate my doctor immensely. The overworked situation is exacerbated by people like riffie, who is evidently a doctor. " So I just took my expensive education and left. Like so many Canadian doctors, tired of being underpaid and under-appreciated and under-provided for with the latest technologies" All I can say is that if riffie was educated at a Canadian university (which are government subsidized institutions) and has taken his "expensive education" and headed south, then shame on him for mouthing off about how bad the Canadian system is and how overworked our doctors are.

Despite the shortcomings of the Canadian medical system (which riffie has so graciously pointed out), we have a longer life expectancy than Americans and we have a lower infant mortality rate. I will not argue that those two numbers are indicative of a stellar healthcare system - but I will say that if the system was completely in the ****ter we would expect different statistics.

riffie: Very sorry your father has had such a hard time in the Canadian healthcare system. I imagine that he loves his home in Canada - otherwise you would have brought him down to the USA and had him taken care of properly?

Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 PM

440 posts, read 1,686,195 times
Canadian health care sucks! My friend was supposed to have hip surgery in Halifax yesterday, They had to drive 2 hours so they stayed over night in Halifax. They went to the hospital for the surgery they were informed that they did not have the proper instruments and resheduled it for the end of April.. after waiting for 2 years! The last time he was in the hospital in Halifax.. nobody could bathe in the hospital because the water was contaminated!! The Canadian health care system is horrible!!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 PM

51 posts, read 332,357 times
I would not mind paying for private insurance if they would pay bills as promised. Some stuff they deny is a joke. my wife sprained an ankle and went to emergency room. Her claim was originally denied because she had not informed Insurance Company 48 hours before she went to hospital. We had to write them a letter and threaten with reporting them to department of insurance. Since the amount was rather small they have paid. But when my father was injured in US, and it was obvious that treatment will take long time and will be expensive, the insurance denied the claim. It is not only that they denied to pay, the whole treatment was delayed by about a year. The hospital will not perform any procedure until the insurance authorizes it or you provide a cash bond which was about $200k in that case. Although each treatment was about $10k, the hospital administrator told me that if any complications occur, the bills may run up to $500k. Also in addition to that, we had to pay attorney's fees.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,870,401 times
My education was paid for by me alone. I'm not a medical doctor, but rather a well educated engineer & later, a wildlife biologist who protected a lot of Canadian polar and grizzly bears and ducks and most everything in The Yukon and Canadian Arctic that the Big Oil companies of Canada (you heard of your very own PetroCan? Dome Petroleum? Shell Oil Canada? Esso Resources Canada? Hmmm... They paid me.). Using your tax money, they wanted to pot every moving animal in the Beaufort Sea area, and the Yukon nat-gas pipeline alignment, and Quintette Coal (you were probably still in diapers) absent my efforts and those of the other highly ethical and dedicated folks I so diligently organized to stop them. Using science, not inuendo.

I'm still in shock as to why you only accept things you approve of. And to your point about a survey of Canadians, you'd have to ask only those who've experienced both systems, otherwise it's like asking a Russian potato farmer if he likes the Gulag system of farming. ""Of course!" he yammers, drooling state-provided vodka out of the corner of his confused mouth.

Otherwise, your study's a bit biased, sunny!

You feel that I'm the one responsible for the sorry state of Cananda's health care system? Wonderful! how enlightened! how about voting properly in the next Federal election up there, and not blaming America or me. How infantile.

Please, don't get me riled up about my patriotism or "dedication" to Canada. I was also a member, in a rather select group, in The Canadian Military. You know so little about me, you'll only embarrass yourself if you start making assumptive and insulting accustations, esp. when they're based solely on your perceptions of my on-line name, and my rather innocent but truthful comments, as requested, about the Canadian Health Care system. I've done more for Canada than you and your lib friends (are they also NDP'rs?) put together, yet you feel you can just sling insults left and right. Nice debating technique.

Sheesh! Where's the moderator when you need him or her?

Last time I'll respond to a trolling baited request from you guys! Honestly! Your knee-jerk feeding-frenzy mob hatred of America and it's citizens is too blatantly apparent. Sorry for you. And I thought Canadians professed to be the thoughtful, intelligent, peaceful ones. Well, now we know better, eh?

Sigh......

Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 AM

22 posts, read 55,512 times
Here's my two cents: we really don't have a free-market system here in the US. People who take care of themselves, like myself, have to pay the same rates as those many, many, many people here who do not care of themselves and that is not free-market -I essentially am subsidizing the unhealthy ones since I use the system far far less. So I figure I'd be better off with nationalized health care since I'm getting ripped off anyway. And frankly, for-profit medicine is a pretty barbaric notion when you think about it.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:56 AM

25 posts, read 74,007 times
you are one grumpy fellow, rifleman. hope things turn around for you.
Quote:
My education was paid for by me alone. I'm not a medical doctor, but rather a well educated engineer & later, a wildlife biologist who protected a lot of Canadian polar and grizzly bears and ducks and most everything in The Yukon and Canadian Arctic that the Big Oil companies of Canada (you heard of your very own PetroCan? Dome Petroleum? Shell Oil Canada? Esso Resources Canada? Hmmm... They paid me.). Using your tax money, they wanted to pot every moving animal in the Beaufort Sea area, and the Yukon nat-gas pipeline alignment, and Quintette Coal (you were probably still in diapers) absent my efforts and those of the other highly ethical and dedicated folks I so diligently organized to stop them. Using science, not inuendo.

I'm still in shock as to why you only accept things you approve of. And to your point about a survey of Canadians, you'd have to ask only those who've experienced both systems, otherwise it's like asking a Russian potato farmer if he likes the Gulag system of farming. ""Of course!" he yammers, drooling state-provided vodka out of the corner of his confused mouth.

Otherwise, your study's a bit biased, sunny!

You feel that I'm the one responsible for the sorry state of Cananda's health care system? Wonderful! how enlightened! how about voting properly in the next Federal election up there, and not blaming America or me. How infantile.

Please, don't get me riled up about my patriotism or "dedication" to Canada. I was also a member, in a rather select group, in The Canadian Military. You know so little about me, you'll only embarrass yourself if you start making assumptive and insulting accustations, esp. when they're based solely on your perceptions of my on-line name, and my rather innocent but truthful comments, as requested, about the Canadian Health Care system. I've done more for Canada than you and your lib friends (are they also NDP'rs?) put together, yet you feel you can just sling insults left and right. Nice debating technique.

Sheesh! Where's the moderator when you need him or her?

Last time I'll respond to a trolling baited request from you guys! Honestly! Your knee-jerk feeding-frenzy mob hatred of America and it's citizens is too blatantly apparent. Sorry for you. And I thought Canadians professed to be the thoughtful, intelligent, peaceful ones. Well, now we know better, eh?

Sigh......

Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,244,374 times
Default Ponce

Quote:
Last time I'll respond to a trolling baited request from you guys! Honestly!
And everyone shouted "Yea!!!!!!!!!"

Quote:
Your knee-jerk feeding-frenzy mob hatred of America and it's citizens is too blatantly apparent.
WHAT have you been smoking??? You are so off base it doesn't even warrant a response.

You seem to be one very miserable man. I pity you.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,824,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I am satisfied with the healthcare system here. I like the fact that I have never seen a medical bill for anything. I have given birth to two babies, my daughter was hospitalised for a week with croup, my father had double-bypass surgery - no idea how much any of that cost - it isn't an issue.

My ex-brother-in-law lives in Boston and works as a labourer (drywall). He sprained his ankle last year. He has no healthcare. He couldn't afford to see a doctor. Say what you like about our higher taxes and wait times, that scenario is appalling.

I am sure there are pros and cons to every system. I'll keep ours.
A sprained ankle should not cost more than 500 dollars in an American hospital.
That includes a doctor's diagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada