Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times

Advertisements

Most Americans know only what they read in the US media.

So, Canadians, tell us how you feel about your provincial health plan (tell us which province), and whether you'd rather switch to a USA style coverage.

Americans, please do not use this thread to argue the point. Just listen to Canadians express how they feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 04:13 PM

217 posts, read 344,320 times
In toronto hospitals, the wait times are extremely long, and the services afterwards are very poor. you will literaly die while waiting to see a doctor.

If i was rich then i would choose American healthcare in a second, if i was poor then i would stick with Canadian healthcare.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM

315 posts, read 1,621,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Americans, please do not use this thread to argue the point. Just listen to Canadians express how they feel.
There is no better comparison than living with both systems for a significant amount of time. With that said, here is the opinion of an American living in Canada...

I think the Canadian healthcare system is horrible. Everyone gets the same poor service regardless of how much you pay in. As Galloway pointed out, it works very well for the poor. For anyone that makes a good living, you really miss out up here.

In my experience, most Canadians are happy with the healthcare system. Most have not lived in the US and don't have a real comparison since they haven't experienced the US system. Of course, there are even a few Canadians [I'm being generous] that believe all the media hype and Michael Moore movies that make it look like the US system is horrible.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 AM

428 posts, read 1,177,364 times
I like the fact that Canada has public health care. Most Canadians would never ever want U.S style health care. My aunt lives in New Jersey and has a pre existing medical condition and pays over $900 a month for her HMO and according her, it gets her crappy coverage and she still has to pay for things out of pocket. I think if you have lots of $ then the U.S is better. But if you are a Canadian with $ then all you have to do is cross the border and avoid waitlists. If you have an emergancy you are treated promptly. My brother had to have knee surgery and he waited 6 months...so that kinda sucked for him but he didn't have thousands to shed for a private surgery. I have never been unhappy with the health care I have received. The system is far from perfect but none of us has to worry about selling our homes to pay for an operation. Also, if our health care is so horrible why is our life expectancy rate higher than the U.S? Our infant mortality rate is also lower.
The lowest support for public health care is in Alberta. When I had the unfortunate expierence of being stuck in Calgary for over a year I met more than a few people who complained about it and the associated taxes. That isn't really suprising considering Alberta has more than it's fair share of right wingers. Even with that most Albertans are still in favour of public health care. The last survey I saw about health care showed that over 80% of Canadians supported public health care. Something to keep in mind though, there are user fees for things like eye exams...atleast here in B.C. Also, I had to pay 107.00 a month for a family of 4 to the B.C medical services plan. After I became a student I didn't have to pay the premium, low income people also avoid this premium.
I'm moving to the U.S next year but I will have very good health coverage with my employer....if I had to pay for it myself with an HMO I would not consider leaving here.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 AM

315 posts, read 1,621,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
But if you are a Canadian with $ then all you have to do is cross the border and avoid waitlists.
This is a great point. There are many Canadians that go to the US and pay for medical services out of pocket. That is the worst of both worlds. Pay very high taxes here in Canada and then pay out of pocket for services in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
Also, if our health care is so horrible why is our life expectancy rate higher than the U.S?
While quality of care has an impact on life expectancy, there are many other factors outside of healthcare. Life expectancy is not an appropriate metric to measure the effectiveness of any health system.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:26 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,418,041 times
I lived and worked in Boston for a while. Had company health plan (a software company), so going to a doctor wasn't too hard on the pocket (except for dentists, for some reason they always asked you to pay a considerable amount on top of what HMO covered).

HMOs weighted heavily though on the concsience - they have become a billion dollar industry, and are they needed at all? I guess a good idea initially has overgrown into a monster.

I would dread to be in the States though during child-bearing stage or during unemployment periods. I had children in Canada, and didn't have to pay anything. Modern equipment, modern ICU unit in case there is a problem with a baby. You are denied small perks unless you have additional coverage - like after labor you would be put into a common room with 5 other mothers, versus a private room. Those are small things though in the big scheme of things. I do have additional Blue Cross coverage for $107 a month that would ensure a private room, critical illness care, dental (dentists are not covered under public health plan), and drug coverage.

I live in Nova Scotia. Halifax hospitals can manage pretty all kinds of problems, except for rare and complex cases - then provincial coverage would pay for treatment in Toronto hospitals (not for the trip expenses though, they are debating that right now).

My son has had 3 life-threatening seizures, and was flown into Halifax on a helicopter (we live in a rural area, the local town's hospital helps sedate him, then transfers him to the main Children's hospital in Halifax). He underwent miriads of tests, including CT scans and MRI (everything is normal) - but we have not seen a single bill.

Only ambulance on wheels sends bills ($120 per trip).

YES, I feel the difference with the States in the way family doctors are rushed-rushed-rushed. (Can't say that of the hospital doctors, they take their time to talk to you). You feel that you have to see a family doctor only if there is a serious reason, otherwise they don't have time for you. Those warnings everywhere "talk to your doctor about this or that" are a joke here. But moderation is the key? - Maybe US doctors are spending time on "talks" just for the billing purposes?

But if you are seriously ill, the help will be there for you, no questions asked. That's why I prefer Canadian health care to that in the US.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:47 PM

207 posts, read 746,956 times
My family would benefit more if we live in the US, we will end-up with A LOT MORE $$$$ in the bank account and less to income tax, However having said that I still prefer Canadian healthcare system.
When come to healthcare American and Canadian have opposite set of believed. In US -Individual health is the problem of individual, whereas in Canada - individual health is society problem.
So with all the positives and flaws in both systems, is all comes down to individual value.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:09 PM

315 posts, read 1,085,754 times
Canadian healthcare was much better a few yrs ago. In fact it was so ood ten yrs ago that many people were abusing it. We have had lots of changes, some not so good, but compared to the rest of the world I don't think we can complain. Everyone has access to healthcare even if it does have shortcomings. Nobody is left to die in the streets. No matter what the emergency, there are always doctors ready to help and they do it with great empathy considering how overworked and underpaid they are.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:25 AM

18 posts, read 61,885 times
I am a Canadian living in the U.S for 10 years or more. Its the worst health care system ever.
I had kidney stones went to the hospital. To get a Sonograph X ray it cost 4000 dollars
not even including the doctors bill. When i lived in Toronto. The wait was not long. The doctor
saw me in the same amount of time and it was free. I did not pay a dime to check into that hospital.
I think Canadian health care is the best next to France or U.K

Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM

51 posts, read 332,357 times
I think the Canadian system is better than US. My parents lived in Canada than they moved due to my father's work to US. After 3 years they were sponsored in US and got green card. Than my father had work injury which was covered by workers compensation insurance. Than the nightmare started. First the insurance company and employer claimed that it did not happen at work because the ambulance did not take him from the work site. Actually, he drove home after few hours I took him to emergency room, so they used it against him. We had to take attorney and file the lawsuit. It took basically one year to perform the procedure which should have been done with in first month. Than later doctors wanted to perform other procedures, insurance company did not agree. It was psychologically draining.
My parents came back to Ontario, went to their old physician and everything was performed immediately. They did not even care that the injury happened in US.
I have to admit that US hospitals are visually nicer: flat screen TVs and other unnecessary BS. But the service is much better in Canada. Canada has higher taxes but, you do not have to take attorneys to get the treatment.
I think the Canadian system is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada