Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toujoursdan View Post
American facilities are often cleaner and newer and the procedures are more cutting edge than in Canada, but it's hard to say whether that means that they are more effective.
As Canadians live a bit longer than Americans, on average, arguably they're not more effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:35 PM

59 posts, read 155,406 times
That is true, though that can be partially due to cultural factors (lower mortality rate because of lower violent crime levels, infant mortality rates, obesity rates, etc.)

But I have read a few studies that suggest that overall patient outcomes are better in Canada than in the U.S., so I agree.

Also, part of the problem in the Canadian healthcare system is due to underfunding by the federal government. In the early 1990s Canada went through a moderately severe recession and had huge budget deficits. Paul Martin, the finance minister and later Prime Minister, deeply cut the federal budget to bring it into balance and then into surplus. Part of those cuts included the federal healthcare block-grants to the provinces, which have been underfunded since.

It's not a problem with the system per se, but a legacy from the budget cuts from the 1990s. The provinces have fought the federal government to restore its portion of the funding, but now that Canada is projected to run a $50B deficit for 2009-2010, that seems unlikely to happen in the short term.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
You cannot compare Country vs Country when it comes to healthcare, you have to do it on a city vs city or Province vs State basis for a fair comparison.

Insurance premiums, Quality of care, Tax rates, wait times, etc....vary by Province/State.

As a Canadian citizen living in the US, I personally would take the healthcare situation I used to have Ontario over my former state (Florida) but would not even consider trading healthcare situations with my current state Massachusetts. So as you can see there is a huge difference that should be examined on the local level as opposed to National.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:58 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

The Canadian health care system in fact damaged or risked the health of all those people I mentioned, and, I say again, if any of you have ever gone to, for example, a Mayo Clinic, you know what I say about their fantastic level of care is true beyond belief. It cost me NOTHING to go there, BTW. My insurance covered it all.

Thanks again! Have a good day!
Rifleman,

Mayo Clinic is regarded as one of the best hospitals in the States, it's no wonder you are very happy with it. Most people are not as lucky as you.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:17 PM

257 posts, read 1,444,996 times
Happy with it. Lived in the States and can compare. I had a child in the states and one in Canada.
No difference in care , speed or anything....I didn't have to pull out my wallet in Canada though.
I am moving back to the states and hate the thought of all the copays and the chance I can have a claim rejected and have to pay out of pocket. It seems insurance companies look for ways not to pay, or they hold everything against you later on in life. I want to keep my Canadian health care just in case...but I can't do that.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:19 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,390 times
I've extensively used the Canadian health care system. What I loved was the range of options given to me by my surgeon. Everything was on the table regardless of whatever costs may have been associated with it. It was up to me to decide my personal level of risk (shorter/simpler operation generally equals faster recovery time, longer/more complicated surgery often has more risks). I opted to save a kidney and do something much more complicated that had no guarantee of success. If I had some sort of HMO coverage in the United States then the doctor would likely have been prevented from telling me options that were not covered by my insurance. In Canada, I didn't have to fight for treatment and, since my case was serious, I didn't have to wait for CT Scans, MRIs or for any of my surgeries.

When people talk of wait times in Canada then it usually has to do with arriving in the E.R. was a bloody nose or some other trivial item that could have been handled by a walk-in medical clinic or by a trip to their family doctor. Wait times for MRIs are also often associated with people going to their family doctor and complaining of headaches. Everything in Canada is done by priority so if you have a serious medical condition you get instant treatment with no fuss or trouble. If you are a hypochondriac with money then the United States will be a much better place for you. If you have a serious medical problem then I'd fully recommend Canada.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
So, I'm reading yesterday's editorial page with my lunch today and find an editorial piece that discusses pretty much what is in this thread...... BUT one thing REALLY stuck out for:

"Canada has a lower infant mortality rate and higher average life expectancy than the United States. It also has 6% more beds per person than we do. Yet the Canadian system costs about half as much per person as ours."

wonder what exactly we are getting for all that extra money?????

If anyone is interested in the entire editorial, it is printed in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Monday, 06/22/09 edition......

Last edited by latetotheparty; 06-23-2009 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 02:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jduchart View Post
I am a Canadian living in the U.S for 10 years or more. Its the worst health care system ever.
I had kidney stones went to the hospital. To get a Sonograph X ray it cost 4000 dollars
not even including the doctors bill. When i lived in Toronto. The wait was not long. The doctor
saw me in the same amount of time and it was free. I did not pay a dime to check into that hospital.
I think Canadian health care is the best next to France or U.K
A friend of mine who lives in NYC came here not too long ago from ireland. We had a discussion about our healthcare compared with theirs. Something he told me is he felt like when he goes to the dentist there they don't clean his teeth- he said you get better more thorough treatment here in the US then over there. I mean, I got flouride from my dentist til I was 18...and a full teeth cleaning. He told me you just get a basic check-up for cavities and what not, maybe some x-rays...no cleaning.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
A friend of mine who lives in NYC came here not too long ago from ireland. We had a discussion about our healthcare compared with theirs. Something he told me is he felt like when he goes to the dentist there they don't clean his teeth- he said you get better more thorough treatment here in the US then over there. I mean, I got flouride from my dentist til I was 18...and a full teeth cleaning. He told me you just get a basic check-up for cavities and what not, maybe some x-rays...no cleaning.

Health care coverage varies from province to province, but in Ontario (home to 35% of Canadians) dental care is not included in the universal health coverage.

Any dental office I've ever been in offers cleaning, x-rays, flouride, etc. and the cost is paid out of pocket or through private insurance.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
As Canadians live a bit longer than Americans, on average, arguably they're not more effective.
I don't think average lifespans can be considered here to determine quality of health care. The US loses more people in their younger years due to having no health insurance or getting themselves killed in a criminal lifestyle.

I'd be very confident with US or Canadian health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada