U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:23 PM

55 posts, read 261,813 times

Advertisements

I have read several articles about Indo-Canadian gang violence plaguing the community. The interesting thing is that it seems almost all of this gang violence is occuring in the Vancouver area as opposed to the Toronto area.

Although both cities have large Indo-Canadian communities, it is staggering to see such a big difference in the amount of violence between the same diaspora (from India) in two different Canadian cities.

Here is an article for those of you who might not be familiar with what I am talking about -- http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/s...0-c874932aeee1

Does anyone know why there is so much Indo-Canadian violence in the Vancouver area as compared to Toronto?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 PM

Here is another article from The Washington Post regarding the issue:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jul21.html

Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 PM

No insight from the knowledgable people at C-D??

Old 09-24-2008, 10:03 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,111,967 times
Does anyone know why there is so much Indo-Canadian violence in the Vancouver area as compared to Toronto?

Luck of the draw perhaps? Better hub for drugs in Vancouver perhaps? I dunno. I hear Toronto has gang violence of a different variety.

When I lived in Vancouver, it was a known problem, this Indo-Canadian gang violence thing. They were dropping like flies. The infamous Bindy Johal was quite the "character", getting off with double-murder due to some skank on the jury sleeping with one of Johal's co-accused murderers and managing to convince the other jurors they were innocent. Good riddance to bad rubbish, but from your article, it looks like the rot is continuing and growing. Not surprised. It's the same the world over, no?

Here in Oz, some cities are more known for certain ethnic gangs than others. Just like the US, and probably most other countries. It might just be about who's the toughest at the right time, to lay claim to the drug & crime business turf.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 AM

7 posts, read 43,349 times
They think they're all bad asses cause they can hold a gun. Its a real machismo deal. Surrey is largest city outside Vancouver, and is predominantly E Indian, that is where most come from.

Some are brought up like kings, since boys are treated TOTALLY different then their sisters if their parents are of a traditional mindset. I think contributes to the problem since they become arrogant, unappreciative, disrespectful, etc..

I would love to step into a dojo with one of these "bad" boys if they had no weapon, then we'll see how bad they are... they have no respect and need to learn some manners

Old 09-25-2008, 04:10 PM

1,669 posts, read 3,924,865 times
You hear a lot about Jamaican and Sri Lankan gangs in Toronto, not so much about Indo-Canadian gangs.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:08 PM

482 posts, read 2,275,837 times
Calgary is starting to have these Indo-Canadian gangs cause problems also. People say the Calgary gangs are just the cousins of the Vancouver ones.
I do agree that the lack of proactive parenting might be an issue.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:20 PM

609 posts, read 1,107,044 times
im Ottawa, especially around the south keys shopping center 9now one of the most dangerous public places in ottawa, we have huge problems with the somalians. I personally know two people, ryan who was mugged, and jeff who was simply chased but got away by hiding in montana's. Funny how the headline isnt "whitebread suburban kids related to gun violence". msut jsut be a stereotype though. THe articles probably lieing

Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM

217 posts, read 308,285 times
see we would save this country tons of trouble if we stoped accepting all of these thirld world immigrants who try to impose their cultures and refuse to assimilate.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM

11,029 posts, read 25,725,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeChicagoan View Post
I have read several articles about Indo-Canadian gang violence plaguing the community. The interesting thing is that it seems almost all of this gang violence is occuring in the Vancouver area as opposed to the Toronto area.

Although both cities have large Indo-Canadian communities, it is staggering to see such a big difference in the amount of violence between the same diaspora (from India) in two different Canadian cities.

Here is an article for those of you who might not be familiar with what I am talking about -- A history of organized crime in the Indo-Canadian community:

well it's the drug trade B.C. trades large amounts of pot down to the states for huge profit in return for guns and money and other hard drugs. so they fight it out for turf with the hells angels and other gangs the diffrence is the hell angels don't do shooting's in broad daylight and stay on the down low. also the hell angels is run like the mafia and run legit business on the side while the other lower gangs are more like street thugs who run around with semi-auto's shooting at rival gang memebers which draws alot of police and media attention...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada