Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:53 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,510,726 times

Advertisements

Does Stephane Dion have a chance (liberal party)?
What about the BQ?
Has Harper turned out to be like Bush? Or even Clinton?
Just a yank who loves Canada who wants to know.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,728,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Does Stephane Dion have a chance (liberal party)?
What about the BQ?
Has Harper turned out to be like Bush? Or even Clinton?
Just a yank who loves Canada who wants to know.
Thanks.
As election day approaches, the poll numbers suggest things are getting closer with the Liberal party making some in roads into an early Conservative lead.

The best Dion can likely hope for is a second Conservative minority government.

The BQ does not run candidates outside of the province of Quebec and therefore does not have any chance of being anything other than an Opposition party.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:17 AM

609 posts, read 1,172,434 times
NDP as usual are tyring to scrounge the votes of the liberals to "beat the conservative". last election the liberals tried to do the same stuff. the final "plee to those who dont want the conservatives in".luckily it didnt work as we can see now. what bafels me after all the stupidity, corruption and lack of a solid platform, why people vote for the liberals? i have came to the conclusion though that liberal voters in canada are the stupidest in the world. no matter how much corruption they have had (sponsorship scandal and the gun registry), or crappy leader****.. i mean leadership, (paul martin could talk more BS than a sleezy car salesman named "ace".)

for the longest time they were divided, scattered and it seemed they couldnt agree on anything.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:06 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,246,248 times
I think the saddest part of the election is the "americanization" of the process. The fear mongering on both sides is dispicable. Libs and NDP categorizing Harper as a born again Bushie, when in reality, the Conservatives are way more liberal than the US Democrats. The Cons using micro-polling a'la Clinton, to fragment groups.

All very sad.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,510,726 times
Well, from what I can tell, Harper seems to sell into the American ideology way more than any leader in recent history. Seems he wants to be annexed into a 51st state. I'm watching a debate on 10/2 and I'm getting that impression.
Granted, that is like a centerist Democrat is the US, however, it's not impressive.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,246,248 times
I just can't get by the "blame Alberta" sentiment of the other two "National" parties. All of the parties are regional rumps, that cater to local interests.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 PM

482 posts, read 2,415,344 times
Watch many NDP and Green voters go over to the Liberals for strategic voting reasons... Other than that, Canada has become completely regional as far as politics are concerned. It's quite sad and I think with each election this country is slowly breaking up more and more....

Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,598,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Watch many NDP and Green voters go over to the Liberals for strategic voting reasons... Other than that, Canada has become completely regional as far as politics are concerned. It's quite sad and I think with each election this country is slowly breaking up more and more....
I agree ....I particularly find the Bloc Quebecois to be a strange party ...in the USA that would be like having let's say a "Block Texas" party just looking out for the needs of Texans ...IMO the Canadian constitution should have an amendment in it not to allow such a party to run at the federal level

Also Green Party leader Ms May is actually an american ...born and raised in CT, USA (came to Canada in 1974 at the age of 20), I assume she is a Canadian citizen now, but again wouldn't happen in the US ....the president has to be born in the USA (that's why Arnold Schwarzenegger can only be govenor ...I'm sure he like to be President too)

Old 10-15-2008, 07:31 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,467,279 times
Quote:
I agree ....I particularly find the Bloc Quebecois to be a strange party ...in the USA that would be like having let's say a "Block Texas" party just looking out for the needs of Texans ...IMO the Canadian constitution should have an amendment in it not to allow such a party to run at the federal level
This is interesting. In the U.S. they'd be regarded as traitors. The tolerance that canadians (and other countries) have for the Bloc makes me scratch my head. I'm not knocking you guys, but it's just interesting.

So is Steven Harper that conservative? I've always gathered that he's more "american" than other PM's. (He did support Canada going into Iraq after all).

Also, where does the NDP fit in. Are they to the left of the Liberals? Where are they strongest in Canada?

Old 10-15-2008, 08:00 PM

26,808 posts, read 37,843,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is interesting. In the U.S. they'd be regarded as traitors. The tolerance that canadians (and other countries) have for the Bloc makes me scratch my head. I'm not knocking you guys, but it's just interesting.
Better to have them in a three-piece suits sitting across from you in Parliament than forcing them underground and have them planting bombs and kidnapping people, I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada