U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:39 PM

8 posts, read 20,606 times

Advertisements

my girlfriend and I are planning on acquiring work visas once we graduate from college, and then apply for permanent residency once we get settled down. my question is how long does it take, on average, for someone to obtain a canadian work visa. i would just like an idea of how far in advance to file the paper work and all that, any info would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 PM

29 posts, read 164,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njutila View Post
my girlfriend and I are planning on acquiring work visas once we graduate from college, and then apply for permanent residency once we get settled down. my question is how long does it take, on average, for someone to obtain a canadian work visa. i would just like an idea of how far in advance to file the paper work and all that, any info would be greatly appreciated!
You will spend more time for finding a job if any, then getting a working visa, just be prepared and good luck.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 PM

8 posts, read 20,606 times
we should be prepared, I was just unsure of how long the application process and all that would take. does anyone on here have previous experience with the work visa process?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 PM

92 posts, read 537,746 times
As zxcv pointed out you will spend more time looking for work than acquiring a work permit. You have to have found an employer willing to hire you BEFORE applying for a work permit. You will only be granted a work permit if you can do work that no other local Canadian in the area can do. I'm an Aussie and had 2 positions lined up with both employers wanting to hire me (one was a govt. teaching position) but I was refused a work permit on the grounds that both jobs could have been filled with local Canadians. From the time I submitted my applications for both jobs to the time my denial came back it was probably a month or 2. Can't remember exactly but it takes less time to say no than it does to process permits once you are granted work.

Do your research first and find out if your skills are needed in the area you wish to go. Such skills must be those which cannot be found in the local area. Once you have found a job it's the employer who will submit initial paperwork for your work permit.

Good luck

Last edited by Outback Annie; 10-27-2008 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Added more info

Old 10-28-2008, 06:38 PM

315 posts, read 1,558,271 times
I live in Canada and have a Temporary Work Permit. This is how the process went for me...

1) Applied for a specific job
2) After a number of interviews and visits, I received and offer
3) Employer applied for a Labour Market Opinion
4) 13 weeks later, LMO was approved
5) I arrived at the border and applied for a TWP
6) Provided the border agent with documentation that proved education, experience, and any other job requirements
7) I was then issued a TWP

One important distinction is that I have a highly specialized job.

Overall, I found the process pretty painless. My employer hired an immigration attorney to manage the process. I'm sure it would have been more of a hassle if I had to do the work myself.

The key is finding an employer that wants to hire you, is prepared to wait 12-16 weeks before you can start, and is willing to pay the expense.

You will find the best info here...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,640 times
Unhappy denial of my work permit

I went to Vancouver on a visit to attend a wedding August 16. I arrived in Canada 16th of August and left 3rd of November , 2008. During my stay in the country, i was offered a job and accepted the same. I went back to my home country on November 1st of the same year and filed my work permit application on the 3rd of November. I had my medical examination finished and filed by the DME on the first week of February, 2009. I received a denial of my work permit on the 12th of March. The denial states the i have no strong ties to my country and my submitted work experience was being questioned. How do i tackle this aberration in my application, for me to reapply? Hope you could help me. Thanks.
Ed-Philippines

Old 03-15-2009, 11:43 AM

4,253 posts, read 8,814,158 times
spoonedang - sorry to hear that. Usually, if strong ties to your home country are questioned, they would deny even a visitor visa. However, they let you visit from Aug - Nov. Contradictory, eh?

The strong ties to your country - obviously, they want you to show that you are leaving your family (the more children the better) behind, that you are leaving your real estate behind, that you are leaving your business and investments behind. The more the better.

The work permit- did you have someone back in Canada offering you a job, and you had their offer/acceptance letter? Or are you coming as a skilled immigrant? If you were offered a job, the immigration officials then over-extend their authority in making a decision for that business.

I came here on a skilled immigrant visa, obviously with no family left behind (I was single). As long as I scored high on the point system, and demonstrated my ability to integrate, I got a green light.

Last edited by nuala; 03-15-2009 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 03:20 PM

39 posts, read 273,766 times
This might help: - Working in Canada

Whether to accept an immigrant is joint decision between your perspective employer, the country, and the province. If you can speek French, for example, you will have more luck in Quebec, since our government is particularly eager to accept Francophone immigrants.
Try out the "working in canada tool" on the website I gave you. It will suggest where you should go, based on your occupation.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM

589 posts, read 1,457,593 times
I was from the Phil. I find it easier to apply for immigration than a temporary work visa!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,586 times
i am a pharmacy graduate from india and pursuing MBA in Pharmaceutical Management at USA. I want to apply for the pharmacy equivalent exam and want to be a registered pharmacist at canada. i dont have ne work experiance at graduate and post graduate level. which type of visa shd i apply other than student? i m volunteerily working 20 hrs a week at one pharmacy as a technician just to gain the experiance at USA. will it help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada