Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:45 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Well that's because most of us know for sure that these criminals would dare not risk going anywhere near a country with traffic fatalities that are said to compare to India's in frequency.

Nor would they settle for just any old hamburger from a White Spot when they can get the real deal from Wendy's.

No self respecting murderer would ignore the facts about Canada as posted on C/D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
The whole misdemeanor thing is absolute discrimination, and in my opinion it is a deplorable policy.
Are Canadians incapable of codifying dangerous criminal activity from old misdemeanors ?

Old 06-09-2015, 01:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
The whole misdemeanor thing is absolute discrimination, and in my opinion it is a deplorable policy.
Are Canadians incapable of codifying dangerous criminal activity from old misdemeanors ?
DUIs which I assume is what you're talking about, are not considered misdemeanors in Canada, they're considered the Canadian equivalent of a felony. I would describe driving under the influence as a dangerous criminal activity, you endanger other people's lives when you do that and can easily kill someone.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Uuh; you do realize that neither country needs a reason to deny entry and both have exercised that option as well.

The question most often asked is "have you ever been arrested". I've yet to hear a border agent ask "have you ever been convicted for anything other than a misdemeanour." They are testing your veracity only; they already know your entire record if you're in any database at all.

I have a test for you; pretend to be a Canadian and tell U.S. agents you were only arrested for a 'disturbing the peace charge' in the 80's for taking part in a protest and I bet you'll find out all you need to know about "border authority" and it's vagaries as regards misdemeanours.

Why don't you google something like "stupid reasons for denial of entry to the U.S." You should get an eyeful.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:29 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
LOL.

Discrimination, eh? Canadians have been denied entry into USA for having similar names to American criminals.

Last year there was a business owner from British Columbia travelling to Seattle for a business conference to introduce a business venture he was going to expand into USA that would provide employment and services to many American citizens. He was denied entry into USA because he had the same first and last name (not the same middle names though) as a convicted felon in America. Even after it was determined the American felon was locked up in jail somewhere else in USA and the Canadian businessman had presented irrefutable legal proof that he was a completely different person, a law-abiding Canadian citizen and successful entrepreneurial businessman with a spotless reputation, he was still denied entry because of his name. So he got a lawyer and is/was taking it to court..... in addition to taking his business to a different country now (I think Mexico). No doubt he did or will lose his court case, because that's just the way the cookie crumbles when it comes to discrimination because of deplorably stupid policies, bigotry and paranoia. And America loses out on a good business opportunity.

C'est la vie.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:47 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Oh, and leave your hand guns at home! I believe they'll allow register hunting rifles across as long as you have the paperwork and you MUST claim that you have one.
Emphasis on this one! Having a handgun is a worse crime in Canada than murder!

While you can take a hunting rifle across if you register it and go through a whole forest worth of paperwork, best bet if you decide to hunt in Canada, leave your weapon at home and make sure your Canadian guide has one he can loan you.

The gun laws in Canada are the primary reason I won't hunt there although I've been invited several times both by Canadians and Americans.
Not worth the hassle and cost to take a firearm across the border.

I like Canadians as a whole, and there are a lot of them that come to my state to shop avoiding the taxes in Canada, and they come here for medical care as well. I've been to Canada several times and while I've never had trouble with crossing, I haven't been back since the gun laws were enacted.

It's a lovely country, good food, good people, but I just can't force myself to go through all the hoops to do something as basic as have a hunting rifle of my own to hunt in Canada.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:53 PM

Independent Bloggers' Alliance: Americans "Filching" Canada's Health Insurance System by the Thousands
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Emphasis on this one! Having a handgun is a worse crime in Canada than murder!

While you can take a hunting rifle across if you register it and go through a whole forest worth of paperwork, best bet if you decide to hunt in Canada, leave your weapon at home and make sure your Canadian guide has one he can loan you.

The gun laws in Canada are the primary reason I won't hunt there although I've been invited several times both by Canadians and Americans.
Not worth the hassle and cost to take a firearm across the border.

I like Canadians as a whole, and there are a lot of them that come to my state to shop avoiding the taxes in Canada, and they come here for medical care as well. I've been to Canada several times and while I've never had trouble with crossing, I haven't been back since the gun laws were enacted.

It's a lovely country, good food, good people, but I just can't force myself to go through all the hoops to do something as basic as have a hunting rifle of my own to hunt in Canada.
Correction: having an unregistered handgun in Canada is a criminal offense but NOT a worse than murder crime.

Americans come to Canada to avoid the higher costs of American tourism considering their dollar rate of exchange for decades gave them a cheap holiday, so your point about Canadian shoppers avoiding taxes would be what exactly.

Americans filched free healthcare from Canada over many decades when all they needed to obtain a health card in Ontario as an example, was a Canadian address. Many bought cottages in the Kawarthas and patterned their visits to doctors around their visits to Canada.

Independent Bloggers' Alliance: Americans "Filching" Canada's Health Insurance System by the Thousands

Denying yourself the ability to hunt in one of the last available wilderness frontiers left in North America because you're too lazy to fill out the requisite forms speaks volumes.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

...... Denying yourself the ability to hunt in one of the last available wilderness frontiers left in North America because you're too lazy to fill out the requisite forms speaks volumes.
Personally I don't have a problem with sports hunters from other countries NOT coming to Canada to hunt. I would actually prefer that hunting in Canada was restricted to Canadian citizens only. So if hunters from other countries don't want to visit Canada because of our gun laws that suits me to a T.

I'm guessing the hunter you replied to wanted to use rifles that are permissable to own and use in USA but are prohibited for ownership or use in Canada and he hasn't been back since the prohibited gun laws were enacted. Because to the best of my knowledge, Canada has always had gun laws (at least 100 years) that required foreign visitors and hunters to declare any and all guns (prohibited or not) and to fill out all the paperwork, whether they were coming to Canada for hunting or are just passing through Canada on their way to Alaska.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-09-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 06:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Correction: having an unregistered handgun in Canada is a criminal offense but NOT a worse than murder crime.

Americans come to Canada to avoid the higher costs of American tourism considering their dollar rate of exchange for decades gave them a cheap holiday, so your point about Canadian shoppers avoiding taxes would be what exactly.

Americans filched free healthcare from Canada over many decades when all they needed to obtain a health card in Ontario as an example, was a Canadian address. Many bought cottages in the Kawarthas and patterned their visits to doctors around their visits to Canada.

Denying yourself the ability to hunt in one of the last available wilderness frontiers left in North America because you're too lazy to fill out the requisite forms speaks volumes.
I was going to say that.

Do you happen to know what the process is for a Canadian to take a firearm to the US?

Old 06-10-2015, 01:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
i'm sure you are aware of how difficult it is for a Canadian to acquire the required license to even carry a hand gun.
Who may carry handguns in Canada? - Canada - CBC News

Some interesting stats=
http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/canada

Heres what US customs expects if bringing gun from Canada to USA(sounds like a major hassle)=
http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-.../#.VXfjbVLP20Y

Last edited by jambo101; 06-10-2015 at 01:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada