Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 182,290 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to obtain a copy of the actual Certificate of Title for a Canadian vehicle that was imported to the US? Do I obtain it from the bank who gave me the loan, or elsewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 01:18 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Canada doesn't use titles. Bill of Sale only. Best you can hope for is a past registration certificate. The only other form is the US customs form from when it was first imported.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:51 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
This is something I wish we had in Canada. At least with a title you can see right on paper who has owned the car in the past and if there are any liens. Really helps reduce interprovincial or interstate scams and such.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM

22 posts, read 158,434 times
I once bought a used car and on the paper it stated who had previously owned it. I don't recall wheher that was on the paper where it was certified, or from the Motor Vehicle Registration!

The car was making noices on the way home, after purchasing it. A friend was suspicious and called the previous owners...found a Lady who said she was in accident and that the vehicle was deemed NOT to be certifiable again! My mechanic agreed with that! I called someone, I think in the Motor Vehicle offices, who visited the mechanic and inspected the car. It was then fixed...cost me another $2,500.

BTW....according to the people that certified the car, they can legally certify a defective vehicle as long as the engine starts, the steering wheel turns and the wheels turn! The M.V. officer agreed and said that unfortunately, yes that is true!

Last edited by TorontoCanuck; 11-26-2008 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Adding

Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
As stated earlier, Canada does not Certificates of Title.

Each province issues an ownership document for a vehicle at the time of registration. This registration document is based on the vehicle's VIN.

Currently, in the province of Ontario, private sellers of used vehicles must provide the buyer a Used Vehicle Information Package purchased from the Ministry of Transportation. This package shows previous ownership history and any registered liens.

Safety certifications do not guarantee a vehicle is in good condition; they merely indicate that the vehicle met a minimum standard of safety in certain areas on the date it was certified to be roadworthy.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 182,290 times
Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 89,450 times
I need some help. I bought a truck in the u.s but it has a lein. Will they repro my truck over here in canada? What can I do? Can I still register the truck here?

Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just-mello View Post
I need some help. I bought a truck in the u.s but it has a lein. Will they repro my truck over here in canada? What can I do? Can I still register the truck here?
To register the truck in Canada, you need to import it, and to do that, you need to export it from the US. To do that, you need the title (which in some states, such as PA, they won't give you if the truck has a lien on it), and if there's a lien, you need a letter from the lienholder that says they allow the move to Canada.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 85,063 times
Can a vehicle registered in Canada be sold in the U.S.A.? ANd if so what are the requirements?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinjac View Post
Can a vehicle registered in Canada be sold in the U.S.A.? ANd if so what are the requirements?
Importing a Motor Vehicle into the U.S.

Not sure it would be worth looking into.. Cars are typically more expensive in Canada. Unless it's a unique car you'd be able to buy the same car at a cheaper price before you factor in the cost and hassle of importing.

For example a used Audi or BMS in the US is typically $5,000 cheaper then in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada