Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 AM

57 posts, read 752,947 times

Advertisements

I know these are very broad questions, but I am asking for your opinions and perceptions:

In your opinion, is there bias in the 'main stream' media in Canada?

Who owns the TV, radio and news paper media in Canada?
Are there a few corporations that directly or indirectly own most the major main stream media outlets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 AM

111 posts, read 590,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post
I know these are very broad questions, but I am asking for your opinions and perceptions:

In your opinion, is there bias in the 'main stream' media in Canada?

Who owns the TV, radio and news paper media in Canada?
Are there a few corporations that directly or indirectly own most the major main stream media outlets?
IMO there is a pretty apparent Liberal slant to the media. Toronto is a very liberal city and consistently vote in the Liberals and NDP. It rubs off on their newspapers, which are quite Liberal and then those get distributed all across Southern Ontario. Whenever I read the papers they are quite strongly biased, and it's rather annoying. The Toronto SUN especially.

Television isn't as bad, I find it mostly factual and unbiased. When I look at U.S TV shows from both sides of their political spectrum, basically everyone vs. FOX, both sides are often shockingly biased and untruthful. I mean you guys had a big dispute over Obama putting Dijon mustard on a hot dog. A lot of the U.S media is pure lunacy lol. In Canada we don't really have the same number of talk shows dedicated to political jargon. Our main sources of political commentary are This Hour has 22 Minutes and the Rick Mercer report. Both of them are good at mocking both sides, and they are intended to be comical instead of serious. This way they can convey their political beliefs without shoving it down your throats like the U.S shows often try to do. I can't think of any shows here that are like the O'Reilly Factor, or other junk like that. It's more like the Daily Show, the Colbert Report, etc.

As for who owns it, our major national station, the CBC, is owned by the government. Most other things receive funding from the government, but are independantly owned.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipPoopers1 View Post
IMO there is a pretty apparent Liberal slant to the media. Toronto is a very liberal city and consistently vote in the Liberals and NDP. It rubs off on their newspapers, which are quite Liberal and then those get distributed all across Southern Ontario. Whenever I read the papers they are quite strongly biased, and it's rather annoying. The Toronto SUN especially.
I think he meant the Toronto Star. The Toronto Sun is right-wing paper for people with a Grade 4 education and it features a bikini-clan Page 3 girl. The Toronto Star, on the other hand, is a blatantly Liberal (big-L) paper. The Globe and Mail does a fairly good job of presenting both left and right opinions and it is the standard "business" national newspaper. There is also the National Post for another right-wing viewpoint. It's a better paper than the Toronto Sun if you like that sort of thing. At least there isn't a Sunshine Girl. The Toronto Sun does have a decent sports section if you are into Toronto-based teams.

In terms of TV, the CBC is Canada's national broadcaster. I personally love what they do on both radio and television (mind you, I don't watch prime-time TV all that much so I'm basically talking about news). CTV News is more conservative (both small-c and large-C). To me it just seems so old fashioned and stodgy. I'm sure it appeals to seniors. Global TV is also somewhat similar but less professional. CityTV tends to be younger and edgier but they spend all of their emphasis on sensational items (fires, violent crimes, etc...). I'm really freaked out that CTV bought CP24 from CityTV. When they simulcast the CTV News it just seems like such a wrong fit.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:04 AM

237 posts, read 870,948 times
the main news that's available on cable is

cbc (like a mix between the bbc and cnn, liberal leaning but not so much that conservatives feel uncomfortable). (not as much a mouthpiece for the government as people would think, but if you don't agree with global warming fanatics, are a devout Christian, don't want marriage definition to change, it can be hard to watch).
ctv (straight news, not a lot of entertainment like commentary).
global news (not bad, doesn't take sides)
cnn (the one that the US gets not the international version)

it's probably better than news in most English speaking countries but could still be improved.

it's great that fox news doesn't have any say in Canada. even though that news station shares my views when it comes to some controversial issues it has lost a lot of credibility over the last decade. it's out of control.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 PM

111 posts, read 590,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
I think he meant the Toronto Star. The Toronto Sun is right-wing paper for people with a Grade 4 education and it features a bikini-clan Page 3 girl. The Toronto Star, on the other hand, is a blatantly Liberal (big-L) paper. The Globe and Mail does a fairly good job of presenting both left and right opinions and it is the standard "business" national newspaper. There is also the National Post for another right-wing viewpoint. It's a better paper than the Toronto Sun if you like that sort of thing. At least there isn't a Sunshine Girl. The Toronto Sun does have a decent sports section if you are into Toronto-based teams.

In terms of TV, the CBC is Canada's national broadcaster. I personally love what they do on both radio and television (mind you, I don't watch prime-time TV all that much so I'm basically talking about news). CTV News is more conservative (both small-c and large-C). To me it just seems so old fashioned and stodgy. I'm sure it appeals to seniors. Global TV is also somewhat similar but less professional. CityTV tends to be younger and edgier but they spend all of their emphasis on sensational items (fires, violent crimes, etc...). I'm really freaked out that CTV bought CP24 from CityTV. When they simulcast the CTV News it just seems like such a wrong fit.
I don't know, I think most of the T.O papers are pretty Liberal or moderate. I wouldn't really consider the SUN to be right-wing. The Globe and Mail is a good paper, I agree. And it's not Toronto centric which is a big plus.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:16 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
what media outlet does NOT have bias?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:43 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,308 times
Everything and everyone has a bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada