Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:35 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria
But it is almost impossible for an American citizen to move to another country.

minibrings :
not true. There is no law in other countries specifically discriminating against US citizens. It depends on the laws of the individual country, your age, education, skills. Some countries want immigrants (including Canada, NZ or Australia).

For me it was easy to qualify to migrate to Australia or New Zealand (I qualified) as a software engineer with the work experience and right age (under 45). I was accepted by NZ but decided not to pursue it and decided to stay in Canada.

so nothing is impossible. The answer it depends on your circumstance. And you do not have to be super-rich to migrate to Canada. Just go to the Canada immigration website and take the skills assessment to see if you qualify; if you do you make an application and wait to be told to go for your medical exam and once that is complete you will hear yes or no. Should take 1-2 years, but again, the CIC website has the processing time information.
I agree -- that's a good lesson to not ever use, "never," "always," and "impossible." Sorry about that.

However, I do not qualify -- and when I was younger I did not have the skill set nor money necessary to enter on that basis.

My daughter would love to have dual citizenship with another country, and because of my own experience at not obtaining any, and waiting too long so that I no longer qualify, I am urging her to try to do it younger and with a very, very good education early-on. And to save her money!

For me, I have an issue with so many people have come here, and yet it is very difficult for an American, who does not have your qualifications or income potential, to even get into third world countries! Most countries are very careful about immigration policies, America was not.

For the original poster who is younger, is obtaining a desireable degree (R.N.), then he should be able to do it. Of if he has friends there who might sponsor him, that would help. When I asked my friend if $60,000 to come into the country would be enough, he said, "Probably not...."

There are ways to live in other countries, however, I prefer the legal way, or not having to run out of the country every six months or so and then coming back, and then going back out, and back in, etc.

The rule of thumb I have noticed in most countries is that to try to obtain citizenship there, one must be highly educated, have a needed skill, have enough money to get into the country, be of a younger age, or looking for refugee status. The people I have known who have lived in other countries for decades did not do so legally -- they either didn't have the skill set, the money, or relatives, or spouse, or whatever was necessary at the time. I actually knew quite a few people who did move to Canada during the Vietnam war -- and they're still there.

So, yes, if you are young, healthy, well-educated and have a skill that country can use, then you have a chance to do so.

Sorry, I should not have used the word "impossible," as that alludes to nothing can happen. I'll just reword it to "difficult" if one is not in a particular group that meets the standing criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 08:18 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

For me, I have an issue with so many people have come here, and yet it is very difficult for an American, who does not have your qualifications or income potential, to even get into third world countries! Most countries are very careful about immigration policies, America was not.
That's because in the US the majority of immigrants get in chain migration. One family member marries an American citizen and then they sponsor the parents and brothers/sisters from the old country. Canada has the same thing going on, but at least Canada has the "points system" as well to bring in a greater percentage of skilled people vs. family.

The US needs a "points system" immigration visa because currently many needed skilled immigrants that are being displaced by the family immigration tsunami...

Old 12-26-2009, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,944 times
I myself leved in fargo and winnipeg for quite a while and hold canadian and us citizenship ( Indian Born Engineer ). It is very easy to get canadian immigration since you already have a BS degree.

two ways to do it do that numbers (need about 67) in federal system
check here ( [url=http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp]Skilled workers and professionals: Self-assessment test[/url])
and secondly go thru manitoba provinicial nominee programm need only 55 points ( Home | Immigrate to Manitoba, Canada (http://www2.immigratemanitoba.com/browse/index.html - broken link)) since you are familiar with manitoba

Also I would suggest taing to immigration consultants they charge about 1000 bucks to do the whole thing for you or spend some time and you can get the whole thing by your self good luck

Old 12-26-2009, 11:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
I'm in Manitoba. My husband is often called up to translate documents for immigrants so we obviously come into contact with a lot of immigrants, although not specifically from the US (no translations of degrees and CVs would be required then, obviously).

Not many of them have money when they come here - and certainly not a lot of money - but what they do have are degrees and firm job offers in various fields. Canada wants its immigrants to be productive citizens, not freeloaders.

And as others have said, there is certainly a demand for people in medical fields. Some provinces are easier to get into - there can be longer waits for people wishing to immigrate to places like Toronto or Vancouver.

WRT the person who posted about the grandfather who wasn't allowed into Canada because he couldn't get a job, I'm not saying that's not true, but perhaps there was a misunderstanding in how sponsoring relatives works. Canada does reject family members if they have medical conditions for which treatment is either chronic or expensive. Old age, unfortunately would qualify as a chronic condition, and an older immigrant, without money, could reasonably be expected to be a drain on the 'free' medical care system.

The job issue would come in in that a senior of that age wouldn't normally be expected to get a job, and pay his dues in the form of taxes, etc, for the 'free' medical care.

This issue has also come up when couples have adopted HIV or AIDs positive children. Even as Canadian-born citizens since the child/ren have a serious and expensive medical condition. I remember cases like that making the news but I am not sure how or if they were ever resolved. Probably a Google search could turn up some of these cases.

In some cases, parents or sponsors have been asked to sign a form stating that they assume responsibility for all medical costs the family member might incur as a condition for being allowed to immigrate to this country.

But you definitely don't have to be rich. We came into contact with one man who lost his job after having been here only a few months, and he had eleven children and lived in a trailer. And they are certainly not rich today although he now has a job, of course.

Last edited by netwit; 12-26-2009 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-29-2009, 03:36 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
I'm a single male, 34 with no kids and a BAS (college degree) considering going back for this new fast track RN program (if you already have your Bachelors in Science, you can get your RN in a little over a year).
Think long and hard before becoming an RN.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
I took a self-assessment test on the Canada Immigration site ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sess/index.asp ), pretending to be:

- over 53,
- with 15 years of education (HS + college)
- with high proficiency in English and none in French
- with work experience over 4 years
- with spouse having finished only HS
- no arranged jobs for either of us

--- and came out to 59 points. The age provided me with zero points, but if I put within 21-49, I'd get extra 10 points to render me very admissible. (So yes, Canada does not want older people).

No questions there about the amount of money you have. Only 6 factors are tested:

Selection Factor Points

Education Maximum 25 points
Ability in English and/or French Maximum 24 points
Experience Maximum 21 points
Age Maximum 10 points
Arranged employment in Canada Maximum 10 points
Adaptability Maximum 10 points
Total Maximum 100 points
Pass mark 67 points

Therefore, I don't understand why a 34 year old with a desired degree would think that he would be inadmissible?

I immigrated to Canada at 31, from a poor country, with $0 in my pocket, just solely based on the points I collected, - education, experience, English. And at that time, the mark was set at 70 points. They lowered it... - an indication that Canada needs immigrants right now.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:48 PM

72 posts, read 175,943 times
i scored 70, and I am only 21, i guess I got help from having french at the moderate level, but i had no work experience, if you have a spouse you get extra points in the ranking so that might not hurt to get married. pass is a 67, you can also study and try to work in canada on a tn visa to get more points

Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
Quebec has its own points system and a separate list of professions which are considered part of the skilled worker category, they are also more flexible and the process goes faster with Quebec but they DO require some knowledge of French. If you don't qualify under Canada federal guidelines, try applying under Quebec. Take some courses in French so you can have basic conversation, and you should be fine. But really, you should be fine anyway.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Quebec has its own points system and a separate list of professions which are considered part of the skilled worker category, they are also more flexible and the process goes faster with Quebec but they DO require some knowledge of French. If you don't qualify under Canada federal guidelines, try applying under Quebec. Take some courses in French so you can have basic conversation, and you should be fine. But really, you should be fine anyway.
You don't absolutely need French to qualify for Quebec, but if you don't have any French at all this may nullify a lot of the advantages of going the Quebec route vs. the federal (Canada) route.

But people who have at least some knowledge of French should definitely try Quebec.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM

59 posts, read 155,385 times
Manitoba and Nova Scotia also have Provincial schemes where you can get in quickly. You have to agree to live in the province (generally for 2 years).

Generally Americans have an easier time getting into Canada than other nationals. They already speak English and have academic or professional qualifications that are easily transferable which makes it far easier to land a job than if you're from Africa or the Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada