Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:08 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times

Advertisements

I just took the test for fun (not interested in Canadian citizenship.. though, honestly, dual citizenship would be cool) and scored a 77. I think it was mostly my education and age that bumped me up - I don't have any Canadian work experience or family, and I've worked full-time for less than five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 08:30 AM

22 posts, read 65,829 times
It's not that difficult to get Canadian Permanent Residency if you are employable in Canada, but it can be expensive, particularly if you get an immigration consultant, which is what I did. The consultant was a huge help and essentially led us through the process very responsibly. The problem with the Canadian Permanent Residency process, though, is that it results in a poorly conceived PR visa. For example, the PR visa has a number of deadlines once it is issued to you and, typical for Canada, there is no flexibility. The result is that you never know when you will get the visa...it could be months or years...and once you get it, you have to up and move quickly, which may or may not suit the nature of your profession (departing from some jobs in underserved areas, for example, can be quite disruptive if you don't give notice long in advance). In the end, we did not move to Canada as soon as we received the visa, because job prospects were not strong enough within that narrow window.

I had the points for the visa due to education and the fact that my dad was a dual citizen. I grew up going between Ontario and Michigan. It's a toss up in many ways for me whether Canada or the States is a more logical place to live. Some day, when Canada gets a private health insurance option and the US has a public option (both of these things will some day occur, but possibly not in our life time), going back and forth will be much less of a hassle.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,320 times
Default Nafta

If you have a university degree and a job offer in Canada, just show up at the border and they will give you a work permit. Read the NAFTA agreement.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr D View Post
It's not that difficult to get Canadian Permanent Residency if you are employable in Canada, but it can be expensive, particularly if you get an immigration consultant, which is what I did. The consultant was a huge help and essentially led us through the process very responsibly. The problem with the Canadian Permanent Residency process, though, is that it results in a poorly conceived PR visa. For example, the PR visa has a number of deadlines once it is issued to you and, typical for Canada, there is no flexibility. The result is that you never know when you will get the visa...it could be months or years...and once you get it, you have to up and move quickly, which may or may not suit the nature of your profession (departing from some jobs in underserved areas, for example, can be quite disruptive if you don't give notice long in advance). In the end, we did not move to Canada as soon as we received the visa, because job prospects were not strong enough within that narrow window.

I had the points for the visa due to education and the fact that my dad was a dual citizen. I grew up going between Ontario and Michigan. It's a toss up in many ways for me whether Canada or the States is a more logical place to live. Some day, when Canada gets a private health insurance option and the US has a public option (both of these things will some day occur, but possibly not in our life time), going back and forth will be much less of a hassle.
I know this post is extremely old, but I need to correct a few errors here.

First of all, the PR visa is good for ONE year from when it is issued. Meaning, you have an entire year to land in the country.

Second of all, once you land in Canada, you will receive a PR card which is good for 5 years. You only need to live in Canada for 2 out of those 5 years in order to maintain PR status.

So theoretically you could wait almost four years from the time you receive the PR visa from Canada, to start living in Canada, as long as you "landed" within the one year validity time for the PR.

This is EXTREMELY flexible, especially compared to U.S. Green Cards which can be revoked is someone leaves the U.S. for more than 180 days.

The other thing I need to clarify is that Canada does have private health insurance companies. They offer supplemental coverage on top of the public plans, and also full coverage for people who do not qualify for public health care plans like OHIP (usually students and temporary residents).

Old 11-08-2012, 06:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
There is high unemployment in Canada at 7.3 %, nearly as high as in the U.S. (at 7.9 %) ---- that's over 2 million unemployed Canadians. It is hard enough for Canadians to get jobs here, let alone immigrants.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
I'm a single male, 34 with no kids and a BAS (college degree) considering going back for this new fast track RN program (if you already have your Bachelors in Science, you can get your RN in a little over a year). I've lived most my life in Duluth, Minnesota which is an afternoons drive from Winnipeg, where I've spent much time and I almost feel more like Winnipeg is my home rather than Duluth (diversity, very pro-gay, just nice people). However...since about 1996 I've kept up with Immigration Canada's website and if you are from the US, either you have to be a neurosurgeon, a billionaire, aboriginal, or have lots of family already in Canada to even consider thinking about making a permanent move. This is the point in my life where I really want to seriously know if this is true or if there are exceptions. I've been told I'd have an easier time moving to Australia or New Zealand than Canada, which is only one area code away from here.

So if you've made the move, is it true? Only the super rich or ridiculously educated get to go there?
Maybe you should make the actual application before relying solely on hearsay and speculation.
How many points are you away from being a viable candidate for Permanent Residence status?
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

My move happened back in the mid 70's and i guess it was a lot easier as i listed my occupation as truck driver,never had a problem,although having an uncle sponsor me and guarantee me a job upon arrival probably helped the process substantially..

Just noticed the topic was started back in 08, Duluth how'd it go?Did you ever make it?

Last edited by jambo101; 11-09-2012 at 01:55 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
I think they figure that living in the US is basically just as good as living in Canada, so in order to move there, you really have to deserve it. On the other hand, if you're from say, Sri Lanka they're going to take pity on you and let you move there as a refugee.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There is high unemployment in Canada at 7.3 %, nearly as high as in the U.S. (at 7.9 %) ---- that's over 2 million unemployed Canadians. It is hard enough for Canadians to get jobs here, let alone immigrants.
2 million? You mean all 32 million Canadians are employable and are part of the workforce?

Your stats run a muck.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 AM

254 posts, read 316,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Actually, if Canada used the American method to calculate unemployment, it would be much lower. This is an old graph, but still relevant:

Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
Actually, if Canada used the American method to calculate unemployment, it would be much lower. This is an old graph, but still relevant:
Actually, other analysts argue that Canada's unemployment rate is actually higher because it misses many people like the following person.

"Corinne Isaacs-Frontiero has been looking for a job since moving back to Windsor, Ont., from the U.S. in 2010. Despite a slew of professional credentials and a background in psychology, writing and consulting, the 50-year-old has yet to land anything substantial.

Since last fall, she has been working five hours a week as a school aid in a kindergarten class, earning just above minimum wage. She is currently making ends meet with social assistance and frequents the Unemployed Help Centre, where she accesses the same services as those who are officially designated as unemployed."

Canada Unemployment April 2012: 'Hidden Unemployed' Phenomenon Means Real Jobless Rate Much Higher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada