Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,815 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have joined this group in hopes that someone might be able to help me. I am going with my honey to Victoria and we will be there on her birthday. She would love to have a cake but is unable to eat sugar. Does anyone know where in the Victoria area we might be able to find something made with Splenda? I have searched the web but have not found anything. Our travels will take us through Washington, but I would prefer to have a fresh cake, not one that has been bought three days before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,009 times
Default nghtflyr303

Your best bet is likely to special order a cake from a bakery.

Check your Private Messages.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 PM

82 posts, read 619,381 times
There are a number of specialty bakeries right in downtown Victoria that can accommodate special diets, and make do so without a fuss.
You will also find that if you are staying at one of the inner harbour hotels (Delta Ocean Pointe Resort, The Empress, The Coast Harbourside, The Laurel Point Inn to name a few...) and speak to the concierge, that 99% of them will be able either to have one made in house, or have one brought to the hotel.

The hotels on the inner harbour are extremly professional, and equipped to accommodate such requests.

If that isn't an option, I'd recommend going to fort street, just up from Government and Fort street. Right beside "Jimmy's Barber Shop" theres a fantastic dutch bakery that should be able to do your cake no problem. I had one made for a friend with extremly restrictive diet and they were superb. One of the most established in Victoria, and very reasonably priced. You will also find more bakeries as you go up Fort street to Cook. Right before cook street you'll find a fantastic little bakery just by the bike shop. I would stop by there on my way home almost daily for about years.

Victoria is an extremly food friendly city for those with restrictive diets. One that you should consider if you don't mind Vegetarian/Vegan food is ReBar, a Victoria staple.

Also, if you're looking for great curry or great Chinese food...the two best in town are located side by side. J.J.'s Wonton Noodle House is fantastic, with wonderful service, and right next door to it is the best east Indian restaurant in town. Both restaurants are top notch.
All of my family still reside in Victoria, so if you need more detailed info, please feel free to drop a PM. I lived and worked in downtown Victoria for about 12 +/- years until 2005

Please note: If some one mentions Rising Star Bakery or QV's Bakery...make sure they are last resort. QV's is a 24 hour coffee/hangout place...mediocre at best, and Rising Star's star faded about ten years ago....

Last edited by Moose Jockey USA; 03-09-2007 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: I forgot to mention a great place...

Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,815 times
Thumbs up I found it!

Thank you both for your help! I have found a suger free cake. The Lighthouse bakery is very kindly going to make it and I will be pick it up on the day of her birthday. I am very excited! This will make the day and the vacation just perfect. I can't thank you both enough, I had been looking for about a week (I am thinking it is time to change my search engine) This will be the best Vacation ever!

Nghtflyr303

Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,009 times
Enjoy your holidays and many happy returns to the birthday girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada