Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 25,740 times

Advertisements

Hi! I know this is a broad question but I have two kids and I want to start going up to Canada to see cool stuff, parks, not too much big city, camping and I live in Vermont. Just want tips and suggestions. Thanks! M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Hi there. Being in Vermont, you are right under Nova Scotia which is a very beautiful province, lots of national parks and not very many cities. Peggy's Cove is near Halifax which is the capital of NS and a really neat little city (if you can even call it that when I was there 9 years ago it was pop. 60...lol) There is also a really neat little fishing town about 30 min. outside of Halifax called Lunenburg....very quaint if you're into the coast. There's many quaint little fishing villiges along the coast. We also drove through a beautiful park somewhere in the middle of NS (don't ask me what it was called...it was somethin lik Kajokakmalnflk....lol) Beautiful parks. I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding somewhere to camp. If you're planning on a longer drive north you will hit Cape Breton (an island in NS kinda on top?? if that makes sense)
There is a beautiful scenic drive all the way around called the Cabot trail...I highly recommend it There's cute little B&Bs along the way too. We stopped at one kinda on the northeast side of the island and there were some awesome hiking trails! A fun idea maybe for the kids if you ever wanna do something less "natureish" is going to Fort Louisburg. It is located on the eastern middle side of Cape Breton. It's a historical Fort (can't tell ya much other than that...I'm not really into history ) Employeed there dress up and reinact different fight and the women do baking and stuff in the houses......it's really neat. We actually didn't get to go there because we were a week too early in the season
Hope this gives you a few ideas! Canada is a wonderful place!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Oh my Gosh!! I can't believe I forgot to mention Prince Edward Island!! PEI is like the creme de la creme of the east If you're into beautiful coastal scenery and gorgeous soft sand beaches PEI is a must!!! Unlike Cape Breton which you can just drive to on a bridge, you need to take a ferry from New Brunswick to PEI. There's a ton of national parks on PEI (for the tiny little island it is) and I'm sure terrific hiking and camping. We didn't do that, we stayed on the ocean. Ya if you're looking for national parks NS, Cape Breton and PEI are full of em!! I'm sure there's many beautiful areas in New Brunswick too we just never spent much time there except to go to the Rocks (a park on the Bay of Fundy)....very neat!!! Make sure to check out my pic. of the island on the forum!! Happy vacationing!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
The Maritime provinces are certainly beautiful, but the coast is quite a drive from Vermont.

A closer option might be the province of Quebec which forms the north border of Vermont. Quebec offers a myriad of outdoor possibilities in locations like Mont Tremblant or Parc Maurice.

A visit to the Quebec tourism site would give you a better idea of the range of activities available. Tourism Districts 7, 8 ,9 ,10 ,11 ,and 20 might be the ones to start looking at.

www.bonjourquebec.com

Make sure you get the English version of the page.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:13 AM

82 posts, read 619,093 times
dreameyes advice is bang on!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:46 PM

12 posts, read 51,061 times
if your looking for camping i would suggest 2 area the first one is le parc du mont tremblant and the second one is the area of charlevoix. but visit tourisme quebec for more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada