Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM

15 posts, read 67,970 times

Advertisements

Hello,

There is a posibility that my wife and I will be making a move from N. Ireland to Truro in NS, can anyone reccomend were to live or were to begin looking? Id this a safe place? much around this area? Is it expensive to
rent?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeW34 View Post
Hello,

There is a posibility that my wife and I will be making a move from N. Ireland to Truro in NS, can anyone reccomend were to live or were to begin looking? Id this a safe place? much around this area? Is it expensive to
rent?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Truro is a smallish city of 50 or 75,000 located about one hour from Halifax (approx. 350,000). Truro has what is typical of a city of its size, which is to say all of the essentials but not much more. Halifax is close enough that you can partake in cultural and shopping activities there, if that’s of interest to you. Overall, since Halifax is the largest city in Atlantic Canada it tends to have more amenities than cities of its size elsewhere and by and large is considered to be a quite attractive place to live in Canada.

Cost of living will likely be lower in Truro than what you are accustomed to. You will be able to live in town or even outside of it in an idyllic country setting and commute fairly easily to work into town if that is your style.

Winters will be harsher than in your present home, though by no means unbearable.

The crime rate is extremely low and you should have no concerns about personal safety.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 AM

Thank you Acajack for your help, I am now flying up there at the begining of March to look around. I will be looking to rent so hopefully there are some nice places in the area,
Are shops etc.. all in walking distance or will I have to buy 2 cars?

Thanks again for your help

Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 AM

Cities in Atlantic Canada tend to be quite spread out with much of (though not all) the commercial activity on the periphery, so one car and perhaps two is likely to be a necessity in Truro.

In-town public transport I believe is non-existent in Truro. (And even in places in Atlantic Canada that have city buses, relying on them to get around can try the patience of even the most patient of people.)

Finally, if you are going in March please don't get discouraged by the appearance of the place. In the parts of Canada that get snow in winter (which is to say the entire country except for Vancouver and Victoria on the west coast), March is the yuckiest month by far as the snow is melting to reveal all of the garbage it has held prisoner since December, and things tend to be quite muddy, slushy and wet.

Have no fear - the mess in March paves the way for beautiful (sometimes glorious) summers.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback Acajack

I am taking it that this is generally a nice area then, its a pity about the public transport though. Is there much to do in the area? Are there local malls etc.... My wife will also be looking for a job, she is a speech pathologist, are there many hospitals or schools in the area?

Thanks again

Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeW34 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Acajack

I am taking it that this is generally a nice area then, its a pity about the public transport though. Is there much to do in the area? Are there local malls etc.... My wife will also be looking for a job, she is a speech pathologist, are there many hospitals or schools in the area?

Thanks again
Yes, it’s considered a pretty nice area. Lots of stuff "to do" you will find an hour away in Greater Halifax, though the basics you’d be able to find in Truro (shopping, a hospital, schools, etc.).

Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 AM

44 posts, read 297,645 times
I thought Truro only had about 12,000 population? The crime rate is generally low, but don't move to East Prince or let your kids run unattended in Victoria park. I would highly recommend Halifax over Truro - the rents are really not that much more and the people are WAY nicer and actually have manners. If you're determined, the "nicest" area in the city is Bible Hill/Valley area with the "best" schools - you'll pay alot more there though - I think some parts of downtown are quite liveable. Very high cancer rates in Truro. To rent a nice duplex (flat you might say) in Truro is around 800 per month. There are places to rent around 500 a month but you wouldn't want your dog to live in them. Also, large parts of Truro flood on a regular basis - check flood plain data if you're considering buying. Beware of places on wells - some of the aquifers around aren't safe; town water is ok. I'd recommend the waverly street area or lake banook area of dartmouth/halifax instead - fairly reasonable rents, a lake to canoe on or swim, public transit, lots of educated people, air quality is awesome for a city that size; crime will be a bit more.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 PM

47 posts, read 200,216 times
I would not live in Halifax (again) if you paid me. It is a great place to visit but nothing more. People there are snobby unless you are a tourist then they turn on the charm because they want tourists to think what a friendly place it is. If you do not make ABC then they throw you in the XYZ bin. The cost for things is way to much for what it's worth. I lived in Ottawa and the prices are comparable. If you want a cheaper and friendlier place to live, almost anywhere outside Halifax is best.

Can I ask why you are moving here? It may give a better idea of what you are looking for. What kind of lifestyle are you looking for etc.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy11 View Post
I thought Truro only had about 12,000 population? The crime rate is generally low, but don't move to East Prince or let your kids run unattended in Victoria park. I would highly recommend Halifax over Truro - the rents are really not that much more and the people are WAY nicer and actually have manners. If you're determined, the "nicest" area in the city is Bible Hill/Valley area with the "best" schools - you'll pay alot more there though - I think some parts of downtown are quite liveable. Very high cancer rates in Truro. To rent a nice duplex (flat you might say) in Truro is around 800 per month. There are places to rent around 500 a month but you wouldn't want your dog to live in them. Also, large parts of Truro flood on a regular basis - check flood plain data if you're considering buying. Beware of places on wells - some of the aquifers around aren't safe; town water is ok. I'd recommend the waverly street area or lake banook area of dartmouth/halifax instead - fairly reasonable rents, a lake to canoe on or swim, public transit, lots of educated people, air quality is awesome for a city that size; crime will be a bit more.
Whyare cancer rates higher there? Industry? Water?

Halifax and Nova Scotia are supposed to have bad air quality due to the coal plants and getting the residual garbage air coming from USA (sorry about that!)
Is that true?
We are looking at retirement cities - I am a writer and would like easy access to theater, book stores, seminars, etc.
If you could pick anywhere, what area do you like?

Thanks in advance - you sound very knowledgeable..

Old 02-28-2009, 06:31 AM

44 posts, read 297,645 times
actually air quality in most of the maritimes is excellent - if you look, it is hanging out over the ocean, so it doesn't really get the USA bad air - (Ontario and Quebec do) - some towns like New Glasgow have bad air quality because of coal or pulp industry, but it is pretty localized and the fresh ocean air blows it away fast. If you can afford it, I would go to the west coast, ie. Vancouver Island or southern interior(there is a co-op trailer park in Keremeos where you own your own lot that sounds very nice, but they have no spaces available right now) if not...
I think the Lake Banook and Waverly road area of Dartmouth (dartmouth and halifax are basically the same city divided by water - dartmouth has a slightly more modern family/working class feel to it than halifax) is really nice, lots of educated people and people walk around a lot, lots of parks. The south end of Halifax is really nice if you can afford it. In Dartmouth near Eastern Passage is one area where there are alot of oil refineries - and it does smell of oil, but it seems to stay in that one area _ I think its called southdale (slightly higher property crimes there too).
The east coast is very damp - do you have arthritis? This could be a problem. It is true that real estate in Halifax is too expensive for what it is, and the cost of living is not low (electricity, car ownership, taxes,etc.), but for a big city with many services and active culture and relatively reasonable real estate - it's pretty good - no west nile virus in NS either! Check out realtor.ca if you want to know the property values - but properties are often overpriced - you may be able to haggle them down - but you will have to be persistent. Ottawa is nice I guess, but the air quality is bad, and the winters are very cold. I knew a lady about 60 who had headaches all the time, and when she first travelled east of quebec they went away - and came back just after passing out of new brunswick on her return. I can only believe that it is the fresh air out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada