Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:20 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have always wanted to live in either Vancouver or Toronto. I would want to work for tv. CityTv, Chum, or CBC. how is life different in Canada than in the U.S? Is it true that Canadians hate americans? Do you think it would be hard for an american to get a tv job in either city? I have heard that both Toronto and Vancouver are really clean.

All answers appreciated. Thanks.

Daniel True
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 09:00 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
Hi Daniel,

No absolutely not do Canadians hate Americans. You may find the odd Canadian that has a chip on their shoulder about the US being more powerful, blah blah blah but you'll find that anywhere. Both Canada and the States are great countries. I don't think at all you would have trouble finding a job and you seem to imply that the company might be prejudiced to an American. Totally False. I'm sure they would welcome you. I can not say for Toronto but yes Vancouver is a very nice clean city and I've heard very good things about Toronto too. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Great. Thanks

That makes me feel a bit better. the reason why I ask if I could get a job there, is because you never see an american anchoring a foreign newscast. They foreigners all seem to be here in the U.S. Just wondering. I do know of one American who is anchoring. She used to Work at CNN HLN in Atlanta, GA. Her name is Lynne Russell. She is anchoring for the CBC Newsworld.

Anymore info on Toronto or Vancouver appreciated. thanks.

Daniel

Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 PM

Exclamation Citizenship question

I found out from this website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/CITIZEN/howto-e.html (broken link)

that in order to apply to become a Canadian citizen, you must have lived in the country for at least three years. How can someone get a job then or rent an apartment? Is that possible without being a citizen? It also says this

"You must know the rights and responsibilities of Canadians, such as the right and responsibility to vote. You must also know some things about Canada’s history and geography, and its political system." (From Website)

is it hard to learn all of that? Appreciate all responses.

Daniel True

Old 03-17-2007, 11:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Default Toronto Info

The City of Toronto has a population of approximately 2.5 million.

There is an area which extends perhaps 30 miles from Toronto's boundries in any direction which is compried of smaller cities. This area is known at the Greater Toronto Area or GTA.

Population of the GTA is just over 5 million.

Toronto is a city of immigrants. 43% or 1.05 million people consider themselves a visible minority. 49% of the population is foreign born.

Main Ethnic Groups:

Chinese 10.6%
S. Asian 10.3%
Black 8.3%
Filipino 3.5%

By any standards, Toronto is a large city with a number of distinct neighbourhoods. They range from the skyscrapers of the downtown financial district to older residential areas like Cabbagetown, to more recent residential neighbourhoods like Willowdale.

The city has an efficient public transit system composed of subways, buses and streetcars which carries an estimated 1.3 million riders a day.

Toronto offers an incredible array of amenities from major sports, concerts, theatre, dining, lodging, universities, etc. Toronto's location on Lake Ontario lets city residents have access to miles of beaches and waterfront.

It has many of the problems associated with other large cities, but is relatively clean and safe.

Crime Stats 2004
rates per 100,000

Toronto murder rate: 1.8

Vancouver murder rate: 2.6

Tucon murder rate: 11.3

Toronto robberies : 103

Vancouver robberies: 148

Tucson robberies: 318

In practical numbers, Tucson had 55 murders in 2004. Toronto, five time the size of Tucson, reported 95 murders.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 PM

Default TV Stations

First off, Daniel, most Canadians do not hate Americans; Canadians are a pretty tolerant bunch.

My wife is a proud American who has lived in Canada for 3 years. She has yet to have an unpleasant encounter with someone because of her nationality.

A large number of Canadians, however, do not support some US policies, and this lack of agreement is sometimes seen by some Americans as being anti-American. Canada is seperate country from the United States , with sometimes different goals, agendas and standards. As such, the government attempts to put Canadian interests first. When this stance comes into conflict with US goals, it is also sometimes regarded as anti-American.

The secret to getting along in any new location is usually to adapt to local surroundings. In most areas of the world, people tend to be irked if newcomers insist on pointing out how much better things were at the location they just left.

For all its size, Toronto has relatively few television stations which would require the services of a news anchor.

In fact, there are 4 major stations which carry local news: CBLT (CBC), CFTO (CTV), CIII (GLO), and CITY. There are 2 other stations, (OMNI), but they are aimed at ethnic communities and require fluency in a language (Mandarin, Italian, etc) other than English. There are also some local cable channels which have community news programs.

The market for news anchors is pretty limited.

In addition, because Toronto is the "big city", most Canadian broadcast jounalists begin their careers in smaller markets and then try and break into the Toronto area. There's a lot of competition for a few jobs, and Toronto stations have their pick of the crop.

Other Things About Toronto:

Cigarettes and booze are more expensive here. Canadian beer has 5% alcohol. Food labels are in English and French. Weights and measures are expressed in the Metric system. Temperature is expressed in Celsius, not Farenheit. Gasoline is roughly 15% more expensive. Hockey is still the #1 sport even though the NHL Maple Leafs have been pitiful for 40 years. Canadian TV does not fuzz out most nudity, nor does it bleep most foul language. Bare boobs and the F word appear on TV regularly. Legally carried hand guns are extremely rare. Canadians can travel to Cuba without restriction , and do so in bunches.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-18-2007 at 12:08 AM..

Old 03-18-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Citizenship

You're wearing me out, Daniel. LOL

First of all, you don't need to be a citzen of Canada to work here or to live here.

You can become a Permanent Resident which allows you all the rights of a Canadian citizen except that of voting and a passport. After you have been a Permanent Resident for at least 3 years, you may apply for citizenship if you wish. You are not required to, nor do you require a knowledge of Canadian history or culture to become a Permanent Resident.

The CIC web site you were on will tell you in detail about the various ways you can become a Permanent Resident.

The main ones are as follows:

1. Marry a Canadian citizen and be sponsored by that person for residency.

2. Obtain sponsorship from some other family member.

3. Apply for residency through the Skilled Worker Assessment program. This is basicly a ratings questionaire which determines if your skills are in demand in Canada, and if you would be a suitable immigrant. The higher you score, the better your chances of gaining residency. The test is available on the CIC site. You will notice that having a confirmed job offer from a Canadian employer drasticly raises your score.

There are also student visas and work visa programs available to foreign nationals who attend a Canadian educational institution, or who work for Canadian employers.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Thanks

That about answers all of my questions. Thank you for your assistance. I greatly appreciate it. If I have more questions, I will post them. Take care.

Daniel True

Old 03-18-2007, 11:15 AM

23 posts, read 90,959 times
Default Daniel

Hi.
I'm a dual citizen and have lived in Toronto for several years but not recently. And I lived in Vancouver for 5 months a few years ago. Both are nice cities. Toronto is very cosmopolitan and I loved the diversity. Perhaps it is something like SF in that sense. Vancouver has a huge Asian population and I don't think there is anything in the US to compare it to.
I'd be very surprised if you experienced any unfriendly treatment anywhere in Canada, and employers will only ask that you are legal to work there.
I don't know about visas or immigrating to Canada as I did it the other way around...was Canadian first. As a matter of fact, I believe that you can not be a dual citizen if you are an American first, as you forfeit your US citizenship when you pledge allegence to a "foreign power". So that's a choice to consider later.
Another thing you should know is that the US is one of only two countries in the world that requires it's citizens to file a US tax return if they are residents of another country. That gets messy because if a resident of Canada, you need to file a Canadian tax return too. To avoid paying twice, you need to juggle tax credits back and forth between the two returns. I hired a Canadian accountant to do both of my returns while living in Canada. They charged me about $1000 CAD per year to do this. It would have been a bit less if I didn't have cross border investments and property to complicate things. When I live in the US, I am not required to file a Canadian return. (There is a "departing" tax return for Canada). I'm not an accountant and you shouldn't trust anyone except an accountant who SPECIALIZES in cross border taxes or you will get wrong answers for sure.
Of course if you later decide to become a Canadian and give up your US citizenship, then you should only need to file the Canadian return... although the US may require you to file US for several more years...something you would want to check out.
Sorry if all that puts you off at all, but it's something to be aware of. There is a free website out of Vancouver about cross border taxes. If you ask them a SHORT question, you might even get a free personal reply. The website is www.centa.com

Old 03-18-2007, 11:42 AM

Default HMMM. thanks for that

Sounds kind of complicated but i'm sure it's not. I could care less about giving up my citizenship in America. I don't like it that much. We are not all it's cracked up to be. Canada sounds a lot better. heard it's cleaner too.

I will have to call the Canadian Consulate here in the U.S and find out the full requirements and procedures. Thanks again.

Daniel True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada